It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

1899 New Netflix SciFi show

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 19 2022 @ 03:58 PM
link   
Shocking enough they kept the woke down to a minimum for the most part. Worth watching if you are into mystery and scifi.

Just binged watched the whole thing in one day and didn't plan on doing that. Can't wait for part 2 although season 2 is typically when they go full woke, hopefully they don't.

posted on Nov, 19 2022 @ 05:14 PM
link   
a reply to: interupt42

I"m watching the first episode now. Can you please give me an idea of what scenes you you seem to be upset by by calling them ''woke'' so I can just skip past them? Wouldn't want to contaminate my brain accidentally.

posted on Nov, 19 2022 @ 05:22 PM
link   

Watching the trailer I was thinking this reminds me of "Dark". Then it said from the creators of "Dark".

I loved Dark, I will have to watch this, thanks.

posted on Nov, 19 2022 @ 05:23 PM
link   
a reply to: TerryMcGuire

Well for starters, the female lead is a doctor which is total misandry.

So everytime you see the blonde lady, press FFW.

posted on Nov, 19 2022 @ 05:36 PM
link   
a reply to: EternalShadow

Misandry? Really? You see a female doctor as contempt of men? How is this character demonstrating contempt for men. Maybe the choice to make this female character a doctor is contempt for men do you think , or maybe deciding to portray a doctor in 1899 as a woman is?

posted on Nov, 19 2022 @ 05:45 PM
link   

Take it easy! LOL.

I was trying to crack a joke, hence the emoji or did I use the wrong one?

Perhaps a "/s" would have made the difference?

🤷🏾‍♂️

posted on Nov, 19 2022 @ 05:48 PM
link   

Year 1899 women should definitely be working in the kitchen and the laundry.

posted on Nov, 19 2022 @ 05:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: godsovein

Year 1899 women should definitely be working in the kitchen and the laundry.

A lot of them were. And they couldn't vote either.

Otherwise, sounds interesting. Have to check it out.

posted on Nov, 19 2022 @ 05:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: TerryMcGuire

I"m watching the first episode now. Can you please give me an idea of what scenes you you seem to be upset by by calling them ''woke'' so I can just skip past them? Wouldn't want to contaminate my brain accidentally.

The theme song is sung by a woman. Disgusting!

posted on Nov, 19 2022 @ 05:59 PM
link   
a reply to: godsovein

Right? Lol.

I really like the cinematography and overall mood of the show. Very dark and foreboding.

Tino Mewes, who plays "Sebastian" the ships first mate looks like the MMA fighter Connor Macgregor! I had to check the cast to see if it was him, lol.

Good show overall so far.

posted on Nov, 19 2022 @ 06:18 PM
link   

Right, the ambiance is forboding, ominous even. No big splashy scenes yet, just letting it creep over you. Get it? Creep, as in creepy.....

posted on Nov, 19 2022 @ 07:29 PM
link   

Like I said the woke was to a min but they certainly checked numerous check boxes on the woke list. However, at least the plot didn't get to consumed by it.

posted on Nov, 19 2022 @ 07:31 PM
link   

Tino Mewes, who plays "Sebastian" the ships first mate looks like the MMA fighter Connor Macgregor! I had to check the cast to see if it was him, lol.

Hahaha I did too. The cast actually did a great.

posted on Nov, 19 2022 @ 07:45 PM
link   
1899 is great.
Won't spoil...but wherever you think it's going...you're wrong.

posted on Nov, 19 2022 @ 08:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: IAMTAT
1899 is great.
Won't spoil...but wherever you think it's going...you're wrong.

Yep I thought so too. Hopefully they don't ruin it with season 2.

posted on Nov, 19 2022 @ 08:57 PM
link   

To put it plain, the woke part that is completely unnecessary is the gay scenes and gay characters. Why? Why do gay characters have to have extremely high sex drives and why does their character have to focus on them being gay. It's like any gay character these days is some sex crazed maniac lol!! What are these woke people trying to achieve...They are so confused it just sad.

posted on Nov, 19 2022 @ 09:52 PM
link   

My husband and I watched the 1st episode and it did not grab either of us. The constant suspenseful music even when something normal was happening, and the slow delivery of the plot left us kind of bored at times.

I keep hearing people like it a lot and I hate that we couldn't latch on to it. Maybe we were just in a weird mood. Oh well. I'm glad you guys are enjoying it!!

posted on Nov, 20 2022 @ 06:12 AM
link   
As a German, knowing that this series is mainly done by and with Germans, i am not very much interested in this series. Dark couldn´t get me too(two much of a wannabe Stranger Things copy). Maybe it´s really just because i know that it is "German" and, with a few exceptions (for example: Was nicht passt wird passend gemacht, Das Boot-the movie of course, Enemy Mine, Pastewka), movies and series coming from Germany are to 99.9% utter trash. I can´t really explain why, maybe it´s the actors, the kind of acting, maybe the German "humor", maybe it´s the scripts or whatever. I need around 5-10 seconds into any series or movie and can tell you that it´s German but i can´t explain exactly how i know this. But if i recognize a movie or series as German than i know that it is not worth it for me.

Of course i tried a few of the hyped series that were produced in/with Germany over the last years, like Babylon Berlin and that wannabe gangster crap from Berlin called 4 Blocks if i am right(one of the main actors is a vax pushing and mask wearing propaganda tool), Das Boot(the series), Dark for example. I couldn´t watch more than one or two episodes and had to quit then because it was just a waste of time for me, that stuff just couldn´t grab me, at no time.

I bet that it is the same with 1899 now, much hype but at the end it is better not to believe that hype. Only because the first episodes are something like ok it doesn´t mean that the whole series will be ok at the end. If there is and end at all and not only the production was stopped because nobody was interested anymore after a few episodes. Wouldn´t be the first time that something like this happens, especially on Netflix.

And that is the next thing, Netflix. I once paid for three months as a first-subscriber or whatever, used it for two weeks and then it was useless for me. Because all the good stuff they offer is on my hard discs anyway since years. And all that over-woke re-education BS they want money for is not for me. Totally overvalued and hyped platform, that Netflix thing, not worth a cent of my money anyway.

If 1899, contrary to my expectations, will become a good series than i will pirate the seven seas for it anyway, to store it for my private "Netflix" that doesn´t even need internet to work once stuff is stored on my hard discs.

posted on Nov, 20 2022 @ 08:17 AM
link   
Watched the first 2 episodes last night.

It was sort of on the order of the TV show LOST

Full of people with troubled backgrounds who find their best selves

The woke was a mutual masturbation scene between 2 males. The blonde 3rd class boy finding his "true identity" as a gay person. You can skip the scenes with the 3rd class boy and the 1st class fully adult man who seduces the boy. The man is smarmy at best.

Plus the ridicule of religious people as basically cold, uncaring, manipulating and rigid. This is part of the typical woke agenda, to insist people who are religious are all cold, uncaring, manipulating, rigid as.h.les.

The woke agenda that was quite clear in this show is the desire to erase religious people and religion altogether in favor of the new morality as defined by the liberal left (any form of sex and taking currently illegal drugs is acceptable and laudable and should be championed as healthy for all)

Other than that it wasn't too woke and a little hard to follow, one must concentrate on the little things - like the pyramid symbol everywhere, and beetle and beetle symbols all over the place, including embroidery on clothing.

edit on 11/20/22 by The2Billies because: format

posted on Nov, 20 2022 @ 09:18 AM
link   

originally posted by: ConsciousRoots

To put it plain, the woke part that is completely unnecessary is the gay scenes and gay characters. Why? Why do gay characters have to have extremely high sex drives and why does their character have to focus on them being gay. It's like any gay character these days is some sex crazed maniac lol!! What are these woke people trying to achieve...They are so confused it just sad.

The 'Gay' elements within '1899' were fairly minimal...although, Netflix seems to make it a requirement in all its programs.

It didn't really get in the way of the plot.
Sex scenes, whether gay or straight, often seem gratuitous and unnecessary.

One thing I do appreciate about much European programming is the natural use of mixed-race relationships with characters.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join