It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Textbook Lake Effect Snow Storm in Michigan and New York

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+1 more 
posted on Nov, 19 2022 @ 11:17 AM
link   
Whiteout conditions, hazardous travel forecast for West Michigan

A batch of heavy lake-effect snow combined with winds gusting up to 45 mph are forecast to create whiteout conditions, making for dangerous driving in some parts of West Michigan today.
[...]

“This will be the heaviest snow we have seen throughout this event, with inch per hour snow possible for about a 3-hour period at any one location,” NWS meteorologists in Grand Rapids said in an updated forecast released this morning.

“The heavy snow will come with wind gusts that will likely reach the 35 to 45 mph range. Whiteout conditions are expected today along with slippery roads which will create hazardous travel conditions. Lake effect snow will continue all day and most of tonight. Be aware that conditions will be changing rapidly today. If your travels can wait, today is a good day to postpone them.”

Seems like last week the weather in Michigan was balmy to fall-like.
Nothing I had seen to predict this.
In Buffalo, it is expected to be as bad or worse.
The football game was even moved to Detroit this weekend.

Stay safe to those in the path of this winter weather event.
Let ATS know what you are seeing with theses storms.

Snowfall tops 6 feet in western New York, triggering road closures and flight cancellations the weekend before Thanksgiving

Snowfall totals of over 6 feet have been recorded in two locations, according to the National Weather Service. Orchard Park, where the NFL’s Buffalo Bills play, has picked up 77.0 inches in the last 48 hours, and Natural Bridge, just east of Watertown, has picked up 72.3 inches – historic numbers for the area.

As the snowfall intensified, two county residents died from cardiac complications related to shoveling and attempting to clear the grounds, said Erie County Executive Mark Poloncarz.

“We send our deepest sympathies and remind all that this snow is very heavy and dangerous,” Poloncarz said. “Please continue to avoid shoveling this very heavy, wet snow - and use caution and avoid overexertion if you must shovel today.”

edit on Sat Nov 19 2022 by DontTreadOnMe because: corrected tags

posted on Nov, 19 2022 @ 11:26 AM
link   
Lately I'm learning so much more about weather & forecasting. I mean there's so much of it for one thing, eh?

Has anyone checked out Ryan Hall? He's seemingly been nailing it pretty good, but I'm kind of new to this. Anyone have a better recommendation?

posted on Nov, 19 2022 @ 11:35 AM
link   
Oh Oh, doesn't look good for us in the UK cos they always say we have the same weather as the US after a couple of weeks.

posted on Nov, 19 2022 @ 12:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: The GUT
Lately I'm learning so much more about weather & forecasting. I mean there's so much of it for one thing, eh?

Has anyone checked out Ryan Hall? He's seemingly been nailing it pretty good, but I'm kind of new to this. Anyone have a better recommendation?

Ryan Hall ya'll Is great. For up close and personal reporting, storm chasing etc, try Reed.

or

edit on 19-11-2022 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 19 2022 @ 12:57 PM
link   
Is there going to be a storm in Arizona due to lake effect?

posted on Nov, 19 2022 @ 02:57 PM
link   
Somewhat of an update for Michigan
Snowstorm timeline: End is near, but not before another foot of snow in some areas

The winter storm warning area will pick up easily another four inches to eight inches of snow this afternoon and tonight. There will be some isolated areas that get up to 12 inches of additional snow. These heaviest snow areas will be just southwest of Grand Rapids and just northeast of Traverse City.

The winter weather advisory area should get another one inch to three inches of snow by Sunday morning.

Here is the additional snow forecast up to midnight tonight. The heaviest additional snow is expected this afternoon and tonight from Grand Rapids to Kalamazoo, and Traverse City to Grayling and Gaylord. ...

Also noted on the same site that high winds resulted in a recommendation to drop speeds on the Mackinac Bridge to 20MPH.

posted on Nov, 19 2022 @ 03:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: vernichter
Is there going to be a storm in Arizona due to lake effect?

Yes. Yes there is.

I remember when my family moved from Illinois to Arizona in 1965. We settled in Southern Arizona and they had the first heavy snow in 35 years that year. They said we brought it with us.

posted on Nov, 19 2022 @ 04:14 PM
link   
Southwest Michigan here and right on Lake Michigan here. Zero to whiteout off and on for the last few hours. 30 MPH + winds coming off the lake. Workshops warm, beers cold all's good.

New weather tool I like

zoom.earth...=43.263,-87.931,7z/model=icon

posted on Nov, 19 2022 @ 04:28 PM
link   
..WINTER STORM WARNING IN EFFECT UNTIL 7 AM EST SUNDAY...

* WHAT...Heavy lake effect snow and areas of blowing snow
expected. Total snow accumulations of 4 to 7 inches. Near zero
visibilities in heavier snow showers. Winds gusting as high as
40 mph. Wind chills dropping into single digits tonight.

* WHERE...Cass MI, St. Joseph MI, and Berrien Counties.

* WHEN...This afternoon into tonight.

* IMPACTS...Plan on slippery, snow covered roads. Areas of blowing
snow and heavy snow will significantly reduce visibility.

posted on Nov, 19 2022 @ 04:31 PM
link   
a reply to: DontTreadOnMe

We got it in the Sault too...

Stupid winter is here already...grrr

posted on Nov, 19 2022 @ 04:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: MykeNukem

Staring at two feet of it now, cursing Canadia and the Troglodydians!@

posted on Nov, 19 2022 @ 04:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: JinMI

Staring at two feet of it now, cursing Canadia and the Troglodydians!@

Right?

I WAS trying to enjoy my 8 days of Summer/Spring/Fall season...FFS.

posted on Nov, 19 2022 @ 05:24 PM
link   
Right in the middle of the mitten here. Yeah, almost 70F a week ago Thursday. Now, about 6 inches on the ground, and Friday morning the roads were a sheet of ice. Never made it over 35 going to work.

All the old timers say it is going to be a bad one this year. And with the price of fuel oil, an expensive one as well.

posted on Nov, 19 2022 @ 05:59 PM
link   
Southeast of Grand Rapids and we have 18” on the deck. Might be a bit of a drift but still…too much for me before thanksgiving day. Most schools were closed Friday. Wife and I did get out for breakfast at a local restaurant without much hassle. But looks like you don’t want to drive out there tonight. A couple hundred geese hunkering down on the lake tonight.

posted on Nov, 19 2022 @ 08:12 PM
link   
Solid foot of snow in the driveway now. Drifts are up to 3' FFS.

Looks like the UP getting hammered, as well.

Was beautiful last few weeks, this isn't fair.

Ah well, I'll get started on the igloo...

posted on Nov, 19 2022 @ 10:46 PM
link   
I'm glad you guys got the snow Downstate. I had to plow four inches that we got over the last four days. We did get around seven inches maybe a week ago, but that was just a normal snow caused by the deer hunters praying for snow.

posted on Nov, 19 2022 @ 11:14 PM
link   
GR metro, it's been snowing off & on for what, 3 days now. I haven't measured the depth on the deck yet, but it definitely is over a foot. Barbie dolls are shorter, lol. I don't know offhand how much total we've gotten, but I did hear either GR or East GR had over 22 inches of total snow. Sounds about right, considering the near white-outs we've had.

I spent a good portion of the day shoveling. I could have gotten the blower out, but heavy as the snow was, it really wasn't that bad with all the light powder over the heavy initial dump. Basically pushed it around with the shovel & made a snow fort for the kids.

Oh, and yeah, hubs and I did make a run to the store in the afternoon. Wasn't the brightest choice, in hindsight.
Would not advise venturing far just yet, every vehicle was fishtailing. The news was not kidding around with the slick-as-hell warnings all day.

posted on Nov, 19 2022 @ 11:15 PM
link   
a reply to: Nyiah

Would not advise venturing far just yet, every vehicle was fishtailing. The news was not kidding around with the slick-as-hell warnings all day.

"Florida womans take on Michigans fall weather!"

posted on Nov, 19 2022 @ 11:18 PM
link   

Solid foot of snow in the driveway now. Drifts are up to 3' FFS.

Looks like the UP getting hammered, as well.

Was beautiful last few weeks, this isn't fair.

Ah well, I'll get started on the igloo...

We're way ahead of you XD My kids built a lean-to shelter out of various sticks, downed branches and a ton of snow. And it's actually functional as a small shelter!

posted on Nov, 19 2022 @ 11:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: JinMI
a reply to: Nyiah

"Florida womans take on Michigans fall weather!"

Lmfao, as a very loosely related aside, I caught one of my kids asking the other, "D'jeet?" the other day. Between that and pop (and the Michi-nadian penchant for apologizing for nothing at random has eeked in) I'm not that FL anymore, it appears :p

Florida Woman's take on a lot of thing MI usually ends with me stating the obvious, "These folks ain't wrapped tight up here, but I love 'em."

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join