It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Spain to become latest buyer of F-35s

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 2 2022 @ 07:05 PM
link   
The Spanish government has informally completed a deal to buy at least 20 F-35A, and 12 F-35B airframes to replace their F-18s, and AV-8B fleets. The Bs will operate off the aircraft carrier Juan Carlos. The deal still has to be formally announced, and signed, but according to sources, informal negotiations have been completed, and the framework of the agreement laid out. The Spanish Air Force has to replace their 50 F-18s, and the Navy their 12 AV-8Bs by 2029. Interestingly, with the current production timeline the first aircraft would be available in 2030.

The Spanish government has kept any announcement quiet, and has dodged questions about the deal. For several years the Spanish military denied they were even interested in the F-35. However, the F-35B is the only aircraft that can replace the AV-8B if Spain wants to continue operating their carrier.

A small cell of the highest confidence of the Minister of Defence, Margarita Robles, has already finalised negotiations with the US Department of Defence and the Lockheed Martin industrial corporation for the purchase of the F-35, the fifth-generation stealth fighter of which more than 840 aircraft are already flying in the air forces of 17 nations.

With the express prior authorisation of the Prime Minister, Pedro Sánchez, the small Spanish team has sought counterparts with the US military-technical delegation and "have already agreed on the general outlines of the transaction," say sources familiar with the details. The Spanish Air Force needs to replace its more than 50 modernised F-18 fighters from the 12th Wing (Torrejón) and 15th Wing (Zaragoza) over the next decade. And the Navy needs to start replacing by 2029 its dozen veteran AV-8B Harrier II Plus that make up the 9th Squadron of its Aircraft Flotilla.

The start of the formal F-35 procurement process will be formalised in the coming months. A government-to-government agreement through the FMS (Foreign Military Sales) system is the mechanism by which Washington's defence department facilitates the sale of weapons systems, equipment, services and training to allied or friendly powers.

atalayar.com...

posted on Nov, 2 2022 @ 09:44 PM
link   
Wonder what the "big guy's" cut is here...
2nd

posted on Nov, 2 2022 @ 10:12 PM
link   

edit on 11/2/2022 by Zaphod58 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 3 2022 @ 11:01 AM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

I didn't realize the Spanish flew F18s, I imagine this will be a welcome upgrade for future operations. On a selfish note, surely the Spanish F35s could work with the British F35s as a "European" Nato wing if the need ever arose?

EDA
I meant as a "better" networked group because of some of the shared electronic systems.
edit on 3-11-2022 by Kurokage because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 3 2022 @ 03:17 PM
link   
a reply to: Kurokage

Yep, here yea go.
youtu.be...

youtu.be...

They got some cool vids on Instagram.

posted on Nov, 3 2022 @ 03:22 PM
link   

I was curious, I noticed some years back with the F-18 pilots out of Spain.

The helmets they were using. They were very similar if not the same as the ones used by F-35 pilots.

Are they by chance interchangeable for those aircraft?

posted on Nov, 3 2022 @ 03:32 PM
link   
a reply to: Bigburgh

No. They use a helmet mounted cuing system, which is part of the F-35 helmet, but the F-35 helmet is much more.

posted on Nov, 3 2022 @ 03:39 PM
link   

Wow, safe to assume it's a custom fit with each pilot to.

Thanks again. Carry on.👍

top topics

join