It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Soaring Dollar Leaves Food Piled Up in Ports as World Hunger Grows

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+3 more 
posted on Oct, 16 2022 @ 01:36 PM
link   

In Ghana, importers are warning about shortages in the run up to Christmas. Thousands of containers loaded with food recently piled up at ports in Pakistan, while private bakers in Egypt raised bread prices after some flour mills ran out of wheat because it was stranded at customs.

Around the world, countries that rely on food imports are grappling with a destructive combination of high interest rates, a soaring dollar and elevated commodity prices, eroding their power to pay for goods that are typically priced in the greenback. Dwindling foreign-currency reserves in many cases has reduced access to dollars, and banks are slow in releasing payments.

In Egypt, one of the world’s top wheat importers, shortages have plagued private sector mills that supply flour for bread that isn’t part of the country’s subsidy program.

About 80% of millers have run out of wheat and stopped operations as some 700,000 tons of grain remain stuck at the country’s ports since the start of last month, according to the Chamber of Cereal Industry. The supply ministry said Wednesday it would provide wheat and flour to private sector mills and pasta factories.

WTF Egypt? the food is sitting on the ships waiting for the government to do the paperwork???

troubling how these governments can spend so much wealth on unnecessary garbage while their people go hungry.

can any of us here report local issues related???
edit on 01032020 by ElGoobero because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 16 2022 @ 01:42 PM
link   
a reply to: ElGoobero

When are people going to wake up and realize their government’s are doing this on purpose?

It’s all controlled demolition. This is going to be an interesting winter.

posted on Oct, 16 2022 @ 01:46 PM
link   
our shelves are empty here of foreign imports and cheese is so fkn e xpensive now

posted on Oct, 16 2022 @ 01:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: KKLOCO

When are people going to wake up and realize their government’s are doing this on purpose?

It’s all controlled demolition. This is going to be an interesting winter.

it will a very cold winter

posted on Oct, 16 2022 @ 02:35 PM
link   
All of these problems are like birth pains. They are happening more frequently with increased severity.

This is not a love child being born. Its the New World Order with its iron fist and steel boots

posted on Oct, 16 2022 @ 03:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: ElGoobero
WTF Egypt? the food is sitting on the ships waiting for the government to do the paperwork???

troubling how these governments can spend so much wealth on unnecessary garbage while their people go hungry.

I am not local but I have spent some time in Egypt with a family member who worked there for a couple month. I know the culture a bit. I don't want to judge all Egyptians with the following, by far not. Rather shed some light on the MO of officials. Egypt is a very poor country, it lives from oil, tourism and shipways mainly. Sprinkle in some exports like cotton.

However you get into the country, you will find makeshift sheds 300m off the main roads where people live in such conditions. Tourism is one of the main fields where people can find work and they are really on the lowest end of income. That's why many tourism workers will be more than thankful if you leave them stuff before leaving the country.

Hairdryers, shoes, they take everything thankfully and with a smile. However, maybe because of their mindset or climate, their own work ethics and standards are pretty low. You can see it by the quality of the builds, manufactured goods and housing. I don't judge, it's just an observation.

You will find out quick in Egypt, that bureaucracy is a pest in Egypt. Not because of rules. It's because of the people that run the show. From the airport officials, to sea port officials, police, the captain on the ship, the higher hotel workers, they all have in common that they abuse their power in a way to show off who's boss. Not violent abuse but pride and abusing their powers. Slip them a 10 Egyptian pound note as grease and you can make things happen faster, or happen at all.

I can not speak about ALL Egyptians obviously and it would be refreshing to see an Egyptian speak about their viewpoints. I was not in their lovely country for a long time now, things may have changed a lot since. I really liked it there and like I wrote the people are very friendly.

However I also have to say that the average Egyptian is very friendly and open to strangers, even aside the tourism spots. This is my personal observation and not meant degrading.
edit on 16.10.2022 by TDDAgain because: wrong sentence order

posted on Oct, 16 2022 @ 03:02 PM
link   
As other nations economies implode first they will run towards the dollar so wee will see a short term surge in the dollar before it implodes as well.

None of this is sustainable to bad the republicans will get power to late and then get blamed for the implosion even though its already a fore gone conclusion.

posted on Oct, 16 2022 @ 03:04 PM
link   

I think we are going to see exactly how much can be manipulated in this world.

posted on Oct, 16 2022 @ 03:09 PM
link   
a reply to: Irishhaf

“None of this is sustainable to bad the republicans will get power to late and then get blamed for the implosion even though its already a fore gone conclusion.”

This is my feeling as well. They know they will lose the house and senate in 3 weeks. They don’t care because the train has already derailed. All plans arein place to set up the newcomers for failure and blame.

posted on Oct, 16 2022 @ 03:24 PM
link   
Have to wonder if any of this would be happening if President Trump were still in power.

posted on Oct, 16 2022 @ 04:22 PM
link   

“None of this is sustainable to bad the republicans will get power to late and then get blamed for the implosion even though its already a fore gone conclusion.”

This is my feeling as well. They know they will lose the house and senate in 3 weeks. They don’t care because the train has already derailed. All plans arein place to set up the newcomers for failure and blame.

neither party has control of the economy like that, whether things get better or worse, and never has had such control. its all up to the markets and always has been, but so far it seems like inflation is starting to slow even if its by a small amount and its likely to keep at it if the dollar keeps going up.

posted on Oct, 16 2022 @ 04:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: ElGoobero

In Ghana, importers are warning about shortages in the run up to Christmas. Thousands of containers loaded with food recently piled up at ports in Pakistan, while private bakers in Egypt raised bread prices after some flour mills ran out of wheat because it was stranded at customs.

Around the world, countries that rely on food imports are grappling with a destructive combination of high interest rates, a soaring dollar and elevated commodity prices, eroding their power to pay for goods that are typically priced in the greenback. Dwindling foreign-currency reserves in many cases has reduced access to dollars, and banks are slow in releasing payments.

In Egypt, one of the world’s top wheat importers, shortages have plagued private sector mills that supply flour for bread that isn’t part of the country’s subsidy program.

About 80% of millers have run out of wheat and stopped operations as some 700,000 tons of grain remain stuck at the country’s ports since the start of last month, according to the Chamber of Cereal Industry. The supply ministry said Wednesday it would provide wheat and flour to private sector mills and pasta factories.

It's called "privilege". Thomas Sowell comes to mind. They pay no price for delaying shipment or neglecting their duties until someone who enjoys substantially more privilege makes an example of them to mollify the plebeians.

posted on Oct, 16 2022 @ 05:16 PM
link   
a reply to: namehere

Sorry mate the inflation is not improving, energy and food are still nuts and the biggest inflation piece of all is still rarely talked about.

The stock market trillions were pumped into it with Quantitative easing I think it was called its still about 10k higher than it should be.

posted on Oct, 16 2022 @ 09:12 PM
link   

This is an on-purpose.

CBDC is on their R.A.D.A.R.

Complete control.

But I'm just a crazy CT'er.

Who happens to be right most of the time, like my fellow crazy friends.

posted on Oct, 17 2022 @ 06:49 AM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on Oct, 17 2022 @ 07:48 AM
link   
a reply to: MykeNukem

the issues is when this stuff meets realities rather than spun by the media, controlled by confected markets or administrated over by corrupted establishments.. this is all self inflicted by incompetent elite who think they have the power of gods..

posted on Oct, 17 2022 @ 07:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: nickyw
this is all self inflicted by incompetent elite who think they have the power of gods..

I can assure you that those are not the people who are going run out of fresh produce or ever go hungry.

posted on Oct, 17 2022 @ 08:08 AM
link   
a reply to: Deplorable

true enough but they might end up becoming the prey

when they poor get hungry they go to where they think there'll be food, be it region to region, country to country or poor area to rich area, the hungry won't sit around an play nice for the rich..

posted on Oct, 17 2022 @ 08:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: namehere

neither party has control of the economy like that, whether things get better or worse, and never has had such control. its all up to the markets and always has been, but so far it seems like inflation is starting to slow even if its by a small amount and its likely to keep at it if the dollar keeps going up.

You have it completely backwards. The markets are not the economy. There is a huge difference there. And the markets reflect the strength or weakness of the economy, not the other way around.

Also, gas prices started going up the month biden was inaugurated and have gone up every month except for one. That was due to his known policies on oil and fossil fuels. Gas prices were very stable under Trump who favored being energy independent. In fact over his entire term gas prices went down 4 cents a gallon. They have more than doubled with biden.

Many things can raise prices on real goods. Some of the more important are quality, scarcity, and energy.
Quality: eating healthy nutritious food is expensive. Processed chemical foodstuffs are cheap.
Scarcity: with imports down, delivery slow, US farms under-producing, ranchers culling herds of steer, chickens, turkeys, etc, nutritious healthy food will be harder and harder to find.
Energy: this is the big one. The higher the price of energy the more each and every thing produced, imported, exported, and used costs. Every person in this country has roughly 200 energy slaves supporting them. That adds to the price tag on every single item or service.

Add uncertainty to all that and things can get out of hand very quickly. And these are very uncertain times.

posted on Oct, 17 2022 @ 03:18 PM
link   
a reply to: nickyw

A hungry man is an angry man

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join