It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Which is the greater threat to America, Ignorance or Apathy?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 14 2022 @ 02:51 AM
link   
Deleted -- duplicate post
edit on 14-10-2022 by Boadicea because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 14 2022 @ 08:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: LLoyd45
I quit posting to this forum many years ago because of a lack of real participation by ATS members, Sadly, it appears that nothing has changed. Our planet and way of life are in jeopardy of total annihilation, yet all anyone wants to discuss are relatively inconsequential matters like January 6th, Paypal policies, Critical race theory, etc.. Although these things are important, should there be a Nuclear attack with subsequent radioactive fallout, they will be insignificant on the grander scale of things.

I see no discussions here on prepping strategies, medical supplies, Basic survival skills, first aid, water needs, ad nauseum. I presume everyone is all stocked up on their preps, know what to do in a fallout scenario, know how to provide basic first aid and life support, can track and procure game to feed themselves and their loved ones, and so on, and so on, and so on.. If that's truly is the case, Wonderful! If not, best of luck to you should Armageddon occur any time soon. To quote Chicken Little: "The Sky is Falling, The sky is falling!" I hope everyone looks up before it's too late..

Keep your threads coming, I usually don't comment in the prepper threads but I do usually read them.

As to your question, it's not just ignorance and/or apathy most are and will be frozen by circumstances and fear. More than ever after COVID I heard more people talking about having a bug-out bag, or how to survive for a few days without, etc. Definitely lots of videos on youtube but most don't address the elephant in the room. How to convince your loved ones when the SHTF you have to tell them we need to either bug out or hunker down, that's the 2 choices.

I got people I can't leave behind #1 and #2 I got daughters in 2 different states. LOL, HITH do I get them somewhere safe? got an 84-year-old Mom and my siblings and I aren't leaving her. LOL and that's just the first hour.

In my case, all you can do is try and be flexible and have the ability to be mobile.
edit on 14-10-2022 by putnam6 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 14 2022 @ 10:03 AM
link   
Its tough to muster up the gumption to post when you get people answering with why bother, Id rather die quickly.

Yet they dont know if a quick death will be an option, people dont know what the prevailing winds are in their area, where are the potential strike locations, they dont know that every nuke wont be a megaton yield, many will be kiloton allowing a lot more to survive, or that the technology is much "cleaner". (yea I get the oxymoron but nukes are not as dirty as they once were)

They seem happy to remain ignorant in part because people are afraid to move in this day and age for some reason, they wont move for a better paying job, or safety and security of the family they just sit and complain about how bad its gotten. Maybe in part because they are afraid to acknowledge how bad things are getting in fear of causing it to happen.

posted on Oct, 14 2022 @ 10:26 AM
link   
Personally, I'd say emotions are the greatest threat.

People making decisions emotionally instead of with logic and intelligence.

People voting for personalities -- not issues, etc.

People listening to "talking heads" -- instead of reading.

We have teenage millionaires on Tik Toc -- but teachers barely make a living.

Ignorance? Lack of knowledge? You'd first have to want the knowledge. I think most live in their bubble and don't care beyond that.

posted on Oct, 14 2022 @ 10:41 AM
link   
a reply to: LLoyd45

My husband used to be on the bomb squad in the Army, we have the items necessary for fall out, he knows what do with any type of attack, especially nuclear, due to his training. I think it will be fine. I do pity the people who have no idea how long a fall out can last. 2 weeks ain't gonna do it.

posted on Oct, 14 2022 @ 11:33 AM
link   
a reply to: starlahazelnut It sounds like you're probably better off than 90 percent of the population with your husband's knowledge and skillsets. I went with the 14-day minimum, because I don't think the majority of individuals could tolerate much more inactivity or isolation.

God forbid if telecommunications go down, and there is no internet or cell phone service! It will literally be worse than withdrawal from Heroin.. Death will probably be preferable for many younger people. Sigh

posted on Oct, 14 2022 @ 11:43 AM
link   
a reply to: Irishhaf It reminds one of how ostriches tend to respond to threats by sticking their heads in the sand or small children hiding under their covers to avoid their fears.

Probably half the population will die off after the first hard Winter from hunger and/or exposure. As for the survivors, If they don't adapt and learn quickly, nature will select them out.

edit on 14-10-2022 by LLoyd45 because: spacing

posted on Oct, 14 2022 @ 11:57 AM
link   
a reply to: putnam6 I plan to try, but no promises. My health isn't all it should be anymore due to a couple of strokes. Even writing is a chore. If my post helps save only one life, it was worth the effort. Thanks for the reply.
edit on 14-10-2022 by LLoyd45 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 14 2022 @ 12:18 PM
link   

One other aspect I have noticed with Prepper types (note I know they are different from survivalists) is they cant seem to grasp an element of luck plays into survival.

You could have the greatest bunker/preps in the world fly to see mom and pop and the balloon goes up and now your miles from your safe place. so an element of the ostrich effect goes into the survival community as well, you have to accept that you can do everything right and bad luck kills you.

posted on Oct, 14 2022 @ 12:24 PM
link   
I've been considering so many scenarios that the nuclear threat seems so mid 20th century and I haven't been studying that at all lately. The biological weapons have been a major deal for me for the past couple years.

Try this website I've been into for many years now . . .

The Survival Blog

posted on Oct, 14 2022 @ 12:47 PM
link   
a reply to: MichiganSwampBuck Thank you for the great link SwampBuck! This forum could use more posters like yourself.

posted on Oct, 14 2022 @ 12:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: Irishhaf
Its tough to muster up the gumption to post when you get people answering with why bother, Id rather die quickly.

Yet they dont know if a quick death will be an option, people dont know what the prevailing winds are in their area, where are the potential strike locations, they dont know that every nuke wont be a megaton yield, many will be kiloton allowing a lot more to survive, or that the technology is much "cleaner". (yea I get the oxymoron but nukes are not as dirty as they once were)

They seem happy to remain ignorant in part because people are afraid to move in this day and age for some reason, they wont move for a better paying job, or safety and security of the family they just sit and complain about how bad its gotten. Maybe in part because they are afraid to acknowledge how bad things are getting in fear of causing it to happen.

Well, this in itself brings up a good point it's really about flexibility and location. For example, in the early days of the lockdown, the closest bug-out location I know of was absolutely filled with people. Like too many people the locals were complaining etc. Such concerns in a real crisis could have a town close off access roads. In other words, you could have fully stocked sufficient bug-out locations and not be able to get there. It was so bad it's not even my favorite locale anymore, problem is we will have to drive through there to get to other locations

In a real crisis mode no telling if that location will be open or if it will be isolated enough. So really you need at least a backup location to head to if not 2 or 3 depending on multiple factors.

Personally, if it goes nuclear we are screwed, even one or two popping off, sooner or later the rest will fly. Got to wonder if Russia has a dead man's switch on its nuclear arsenal? maybe, maybe not. But China? pretty sure if China was on the ropes nuclear missiles will be flying. So yea at some point quality of life does come into the picture. If we are going to have to resort to Cormac McCarthy's menu from the Road. there aren't going to be a lot people that can or will hack it. Everybody has thresholds.

posted on Oct, 14 2022 @ 04:24 PM
link   
a reply to: Irishhaf You must have luck on your side definitely! It reminds me of the part in the book "Lucifer's Hammer". A threesome are biking out from the destruction, when a poorly aimed shot from ambushers take out their leader, who is a well-versed, veteran, survivalist. They were both counting on him to keep them alive and safe..

edit on 14-10-2022 by LLoyd45 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 14 2022 @ 05:13 PM
link   
If there is any kind of nuclear exchange...what country do you think will unleash the bio/chem weapons to assure a proper cleansing.

It would be naïve to think it would only be nukes; what ever happens, the living will envy the dead just like the Japanese's after little boy and fat man.

posted on Oct, 14 2022 @ 05:13 PM
link   
amazon

This book has some good info to look into for areas to head to/move to pre-emptily etc.

Its not an end all, but worst case give some more food for thought.

posted on Oct, 14 2022 @ 05:22 PM
link   

I’m case off a nuclear war then I’ll just order GrubHub.

If everything shuts down, I’ll ask Google!

posted on Oct, 14 2022 @ 05:47 PM
link   

" Ignorance or Apathy ? "

Both Equally .

posted on Oct, 14 2022 @ 05:53 PM
link   
Here's a fun little website to see how well you would do in case of Nuclear Attack.

NukeMap

Enjoy!

posted on Oct, 14 2022 @ 06:13 PM
link   
a reply to: GENERAL EYES i might actually have a chance! Thanks

posted on Oct, 14 2022 @ 06:16 PM
link   

My pleasure.

Enjoy nuking your region!

<< 1    3 >>

join