It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scientists unveil first-ever 'atlas' describing links between fungi, cancers

page: 1

join
share:
+1 more 
posted on Sep, 29 2022 @ 05:40 PM
link   
According to two new studies out today in the journal "Cell," tumors frequently contain fungi, which one day could be used to detect, identify, and perhaps treat cancer. The researchers have found links between fungi and 35 types of cancer. According to the study, there are strong correlations between fungi and other factors including age, tumor subtype, smoking status, immunotherapy response, and survival rates. Further study needs to be completed to prove whether or not there is a causal connection.

News article

Previous research has long focused on the association between cancer and individual microbes, a news release said.

But much recent attention has centered on the entire human microbiome, particularly in the gut, where more, and more diverse, communities of bacteria, viruses and fungi are found than anywhere else in or on the human body, the release said.

In lung cancers, for example, Blastomyces was associated with tumor tissues, the researchers involved in that study said. In stomach cancers, there were high rates of Candida; and in colon cancers, the presence of Candida helped predict the spread of disease.

The data arising from this research implicate mycobiota in the development of human gastrointestinal cancers and suggest that "tumor-associated fungal DNA may serve as diagnostic or prognostic biomarkers," the scientists said.

The links below are to the studies referenced by the news article.

A pan-cancer mycobiome analysis reveals fungal involvement in gastrointestinal and lung tumors

Highlights

A pan-cancer analysis reveals human samples harbor tumor-associated mycobiota

Fungal genome coverage analysis removes contamination and false-positive alignments

Alive, transcriptionally active Candida is associated with gastrointestinal cancers

Candida DNA is enriched in tumors and predictive of reduced survival in GI cancers
Summary

Pan-cancer analyses reveal cancer-type-specific fungal ecologies and bacteriome interactions

Highlights

Fungi were detected in 35 cancer types and were often intracellular

Multiple fungal-bacterial-immune ecologies were detected across tumors

Intratumoral fungi stratified clinical outcomes, including immunotherapy response

Cell-free fungal DNA diagnosed healthy and cancer patients in early-stage disease

edit on 29 9 2022 by tamusan because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 29 2022 @ 05:48 PM
link   
The link to the full study for one of the studies mentioned in the OP. I will look for a link for the full version of the other study.

Pan-cancer analyses reveal cancer-type-specific fungal ecologies and bacteriome interactions

posted on Sep, 29 2022 @ 06:23 PM
link   
SADLY there are many different types of cancer.

posted on Sep, 29 2022 @ 06:29 PM
link   
a reply to: tamusan

if they are able to gt anywhere with this, it will cost $750,000 per test/ treatment,
and insurance companies will claim it's experimental and deny coverage.

the bastards.

posted on Sep, 29 2022 @ 06:57 PM
link   
Thanks for keeping an eye on this pursuit Tamusan.
real world consequences unfolding from these studies, I hope.

posted on Sep, 29 2022 @ 07:48 PM
link   

Definitely a link between sugar-consumption/gut-health and cancer.

posted on Sep, 29 2022 @ 08:03 PM
link   
a reply to: ancientlight

Gluten, sugar, alcoholic beverages, and certain types of dairy are among the things that can feed a fungus and contribute to an overgrowth.

Nuts and spices can be contaminated with fungi and introduce abnormal ones into the digestive tract. 

posted on Sep, 29 2022 @ 10:16 PM
link   
There was a lot less cancer when I was young back in the sixties and early seventies around here. Now, cancer is really popular for people to have. Back then the treatments were not that good so the death rate of people who had cancer was pretty bad, now their ways of treating it are way better so less people die directly from the cancer...many die from the chemo though not long after the cancer is killed. But the rate of incidents are way higher of people getting cancer.

So in the case of this fungus, which is probably been around for hundreds of years, why is the immune system not finding it and attacking it when exposed to it? is there some food chemistry or classes of pharmaceuticals that are causing it to be improperly suppressed? Is it because vaccines might be steering the body too much to fight their target while lessening it's ability to destroy the fungus?

news.yahoo.com...

They try to say that it is getting worse generation to generation...yet diet and possibly the fact that in the fifty and under group there have been more and more vaccines given and this could steer the body from detecting fungus possibly. They give so many vaccines these days, and I often contemplate if too much is just too much. Steering the immune system a lot to identify certain pathogens might not be appropriate. I doubt if the medical profession would even think about testing what I am saying and tell us this because they have been pushing vaccines for a long time and this would destroy their reputation.

I have known a couple of doctors who were skeptical about all the vaccines being given but they can't voice their concerns publicly.

posted on Sep, 29 2022 @ 10:49 PM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse

I'm going with diet and other environmental factors. Since at least the 50s or 60s, there has been so much crap in our food or sprayed on it that kills off a lot of our good gut microflora, which allows for stuff like candida species to take over. Couple that with how much sugar and added gluten have been in our food since then to feed the candida. 

I'm not ready to blame vaccinations for this, but antibiotics likely have a role in throwing off the gut microbiome and allowing fungi to take over as well.

Since we landed on vaccines, I will throw in my obligatory "I don't think it was a good idea to vaccinate so many people against covid with leaky vaccines." I believe that is why sars2 has mutated so much. It's my opinion that we would have done much better by just offering the vaccines to those with a high risk for severe covid.

edit on 29 9 2022 by tamusan because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 30 2022 @ 07:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: musicismagic
SADLY there are many different types of cancer.

The different types of cancer are irrelevant. Cancer - the vast majority at least (some can be the result of specific cases of exposure to very high levels of cancer-causing toxins/chemicals) - is just the end-game final result of long-standing, systemic, metabolic dysfunction, which in turn is caused by extremely poor dietary habits - basically, eating things that are not proper food for humans.

The reason different people get different cancers is simply due to their own personal/unique circumstances, both genetic (pre-disposition), and current state of health - ie, which organs/systems are stronger and which are weaker, and by how much, which will be a reflection of how they have been eating during their lifetime, combined with how their parents ate, etc.

The best way to treat cancer is to switch to the PHD (proper human diet, aka carnivore), and limit your meals to one, or at most two per day, within a maximum of a 6-8 hour eating window. Humans simply are not designed to 'graze'/eat multiple meals/snack all day long. It is also extremely beneficial to engage in a small amount of HIIT/strength training a few times per week, but absolutely do NOT engage in longer term 'cardio' type exercises, those are very harmful to your health in the long term.

Learn the truth: we’ve been lied to, for decades, about everything to do with natural health and what constitutes the Proper Human Diet, specifically “Why We Are Carnivores”:

and why Saturated Animal Fats are not only NOT bad for us, they are actually one of the healthiest foods we can eat:

and here is just one example of many, this one being the worst cancer one can be diagnosed with (glio-blastoma), that every doctor out there will tell you is incurable:

edit on 30-9-2022 by tanstaafl because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 1 2022 @ 11:00 AM
link   
I’d have a dramatic increase in my esteem for any scientifically based endeavour that explored possibilities scientifically and changed their stance accordingly as results came to light.

I rather think anyone who used this invaluable tool of scientific reasoning as intended would have an unshakable and ever increasing reputation.

a reply to: rickymouse

edit on 1-10-2022 by Dalamax because: Make sentence

posted on Oct, 1 2022 @ 10:44 PM
link   
a reply to: DalamaxAnyone who tries to go after consensus of the time in medicine or other sciences usually gets their reputation trashed. Look up what I just said, it happens a lot in medicine and archeology and even in astronomy. I think elements of the electric universe theory seems more reasonable than what is presently accepted. Consensus of the time is what forms our reality, not truth. The old saying you cannot fight city hall applies to a lot of things. Even mountain lions in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan that people had seen for the last fifty years but were constantly denied as real by experts till about eight years ago and caught on video by trailcams helped to bash their false reality the experts had adopted.

join