It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

All 22 Cameras on Artemis I Explained

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 3 2022 @ 07:35 AM
link   
Anyone know how many cameras will be used on the Artemis/Orion spacecraft ?

I've been trying to identify all the cameras for post mission analysis purposes,

and so far, all the info listed below is what I was able to find.

All 22 Cameras on Artemis I Explained
Link - www.youtube.com...

Links

1 - www.nasa.gov...

2 - www.nasa.gov...

PowerPoint Document download
3 - asnt.org...

Search link - duckduckgo.com...

Redwire’s Imaging and Navigation Technology Helps Power NASA's Artemis I Mission to the Moon
Link - www.youtube.com...

So 50+ years later and the best view of the Moon will be from a NAVcam ?

Is that correct ?

posted on Sep, 3 2022 @ 08:58 AM
link   
a reply to: easynow

So 50+ years later and the best view of the Moon will be from a NAVcam ?

Is that correct ?

Technology has come a long way in 50+ years

Redwire is proud to partner with Lockheed Martin to deliver the Orion Camera System, which will outfit NASA’s premier deep space exploration spacecraft with state-of-the art cameras to advance human spaceflight and support NASA’s exploration goals,” said Al Tadros, Chief Growth Officer and Executive Vice President of Space Infrastructure at Redwire. “The Orion program is critical to the long-term success of Artemis, getting humanity back to the Moon and developing technology to take us farther than ever before.”

Redwire is responsible for the production and testing of the camera and video system hardware for the Orion spacecraft, specifically 11 of the spacecraft’s 13 cameras. The Orion Camera System leverages COTS hardware that has been engineered to operate in the space environment to provide high performance video, still imaging and optical navigation capabilities never before seen on a deep space human-rated spacecraft. The 11 internal and in-vacuum cameras that make up the Orion Camera System include wireless cameras positioned on each of Orion’s four solar arrays, which allow in-flight inspection of the entire spacecraft from the docking hatch to the main engine. The Orion Camera System also includes an Optical Navigation Camera, which utilizes machine vision to determine Orion’s position and velocity relative to Earth. Other cameras inside and outside the spacecraft record and stream high-quality video of key mission events such as separation, jettison, deployment and release events.
www.businesswire.com... ture-NASA-Artemis-Missions

posted on Sep, 3 2022 @ 09:51 AM
link   
Hopefully we will get some nice quality images and see if there are any structures or anything strange on the surface?

posted on Sep, 3 2022 @ 10:27 AM
link   
We'll have to wait a bit longer to find out how good the cameras are , Artemis I launch has been scrubbed.

posted on Sep, 3 2022 @ 11:31 AM
link   
a reply to: gortex

Technology has come a long way in 50+ years

Agreed ... but it's 720 resolution at best ?

Perhaps enough for spaceflight operations,
just seems inadequate for a historic return to the Moon.

Maybe on purpose if they don't want anyone to see too much?

posted on Sep, 3 2022 @ 11:33 AM
link   

originally posted by: ColoradoTemplar
Hopefully we will get some nice quality images and see if there are any structures or anything strange on the surface?

Or UFOs

posted on Sep, 3 2022 @ 03:32 PM
link   
a reply to: easynow

Have you seen this?

posted on Sep, 3 2022 @ 05:39 PM
link   
a reply to: ArMaP

No, not until you posted it ...

Cameras
SLS has a total of eight cameras, with four on the engine section that look upward, two on the intertank looking toward the bottom of the rocket, and two inside the launch vehicle stage adapter to capture the ICPS separation event.

Orion has seven external cameras and five cameras inside the spacecraft

Each of the solar array wings has a wire-less camera near the tip that can be pointed to inspect the exterior of the spacecraft, as well as three cameras mounted on the crew module adapter—two point toward the service module at different angles, and one points upward toward the crew module inside the crew module adapter to capture separation prior to reentry.

Three cameras are mounted inside Orion to capture views from inside and outside the crew module, with one looking out the top docking hatch window, one looking out the front pilot window, and one mounted between the pilot seats looking at where the instrument panel will be located on future missions. Two additional exterior cameras face the forward bay cover.

Link - www.nasa.gov...

So apparently that's 22 cameras total ?

Which one is the NAVcam ?

posted on Sep, 5 2022 @ 03:54 AM
link   
a reply to: ColoradoTemplar
It would have been nice if they`d had a couple of cameras pointed at the Earth but it doesn`t matter cos it`s been scrubbed.
I`m not shocked with this news.

posted on Nov, 21 2022 @ 04:26 PM
link   
Why has Artemis only got one terabyte of storage for the cameras? (According to the video). That's a ridiculously small amount in this day and age. You can buy a 1TB NVM SSD for £58 today - surely they should have petabyte of SSDs on there, that's only £58,000 on a billion dollar rocket.
Why didn't they take 4k photos of Earth every minute as the rocket left the Earth, so that we would have full frame, 4k photos (at the very minimum) of Earth from space? The only photo of Earth I've seen from the Artmemis mission is with the Earth taking up less than a tenth of the frame, utterly ridiculous.
Of course, it's much easier to FAKE the photos later, once they have satellite photos of Earth to put into their computer model... LOL.

posted on Nov, 21 2022 @ 04:40 PM
link   
50+ years later and we can't even get a live fly by of the North Pole and Antarctica. It's ridiculous. All the crap they put out looks CGI to me. Hard to believe any of it.

posted on Nov, 21 2022 @ 06:47 PM
link   
a reply to: JohnThomas2

Probably because the normal memory cards you buy on any store would not resist the radiation without the protection of the Earth's atmosphere.

Even inside the Earth's atmosphere, when at high altitudes, some electronics have a higher rate of failure than normal, caused by the cosmic rays. To avoid that, electronics used in space missions need to:
- have some shielding against radiation;
- use bigger components, as the smaller the components the easier it is for radiation to affect or even destroy one.

Sure, they could have used off the shelf components but it would be much more likely that they would not resist until the end of the mission.
What do you think would be better: lower quality or frequency of images received or lack of images received after an unpredictable time?

I know what I would choose.

posted on Nov, 23 2022 @ 10:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: ArMaP

Probably because the normal memory cards you buy on any store would not resist the radiation without the protection of the Earth's atmosphere.

Even inside the Earth's atmosphere, when at high altitudes, some electronics have a higher rate of failure than normal, caused by the cosmic rays. To avoid that, electronics used in space missions need to:
- have some shielding against radiation;
- use bigger components, as the smaller the components the easier it is for radiation to affect or even destroy one.

Sure, they could have used off the shelf components but it would be much more likely that they would not resist until the end of the mission.
What do you think would be better: lower quality or frequency of images received or lack of images received after an unpredictable time?

I know what I would choose.

I wasn't talking about "memory cards". They aren't using "memory cards" for the one terabyte of storage, all the Go Pro cameras are obviously connected by a network to the one terabyte of storage.

Oh, so they've got a computer chip fab plant set up specially for NASA, that produces 'special' SSD chips and memory cards? Is that what you are claiming? What "bigger components" are they using in COMPUTER MEMORY? Are you serious? Shielding costs bugger all. How much 'shielding' did the Apollo spacecraft have, to protect the astronauts when they travelled through the Van Allen Belts? LOL.

Pray do tell us more about this 'not off the shelf' computer memory that NASA is using... LOL.
edit on 23-11-2022 by JohnThomas2 because: Added new text.

posted on Nov, 23 2022 @ 06:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: JohnThomas2
I wasn't talking about "memory cards". They aren't using "memory cards" for the one terabyte of storage, all the Go Pro cameras are obviously connected by a network to the one terabyte of storage.

But they probably use the same technology, as a rotating hard disk is easier to affect.

Oh, so they've got a computer chip fab plant set up specially for NASA, that produces 'special' SSD chips and memory cards? Is that what you are claiming?

No, existing companies make the ships/systems. Honeywell made several important systems, including the Guidance and Navigation Systems.

What "bigger components" are they using in COMPUTER MEMORY? Are you serious?

Bigger than common components in modern electronics. And yes, I'm serious.

Shielding costs bugger all. How much 'shielding' did the Apollo spacecraft have, to protect the astronauts when they travelled through the Van Allen Belts? LOL.

Humans are not electronic, and the electronics of that Apollo era were much bigger than today's, besides using a different technology that wasn't as easily affected as are today's electronics.

Pray do tell us more about this 'not off the shelf' computer memory that NASA is using... LOL.

I wasn't talking about the memory, I was talking about all electronics.

See these, for example:
Space-ready electronics riding NASA's unmanned Artemis I mission
LEON3FT Fault-tolerant processor
Radiation hardening

posted on Dec, 16 2022 @ 03:56 PM
link   
"But they probably use the same technology, as a rotating hard disk is easier to affect. "

LOL! Do you even know what an SSD is? WTF?
As for "Space-ready electronics riding NASA's unmanned Artemis 1 mission" - no photos or information about these 'amazing' 'radiation proof' products. How did China get their lunar rover to the moon? Did they have 'radiation proof' electronics too? Or did they just do whatever anybody with a functioning brain would do - put the bog standard memory INSIDE SHIELDING? Duh.

TWO lunar rovers are on their way to land on the Moon in five months' time. But NASA couldn't build their own lunar rovers to save wasting all that money on the first Artemis mission?
www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk...

posted on Dec, 16 2022 @ 06:50 PM
link   

"But they probably use the same technology, as a rotating hard disk is easier to affect. "

LOL! Do you even know what an SSD is? WTF?

I do, and I have known about them for many years.
Why?

As for "Space-ready electronics riding NASA's unmanned Artemis 1 mission" - no photos or information about these 'amazing' 'radiation proof' products. How did China get their lunar rover to the moon? Did they have 'radiation proof' electronics too? Or did they just do whatever anybody with a functioning brain would do - put the bog standard memory INSIDE SHIELDING? Duh.

I don't know how China did it, but additional shielding around the electronics has a bigger weight than radiation-hardened electronics, and weight is an important part of any space mission.

TWO lunar rovers are on their way to land on the Moon in five months' time. But NASA couldn't build their own lunar rovers to save wasting all that money on the first Artemis mission?

NASA moves in mysterious ways...

posted on Jan, 3 2023 @ 08:34 AM
link   
I asked you about SSDs, because you mentioned "rotating hard disks" as being easier to affect, therefore they would be using solid state memory, but you said "Probably because the normal memory cards you buy on any store would not resist the radiation without the protection of the Earth's atmosphere." when OBVIOUSLY they aren't using memory cards for 1TB of memory (which is, in itself, absolutely LAUGHABLE on a mission of this cost).

So where is the 'magic' computer memory made, that is impervious to radiation? As I said - there IS no separate chip fab plant making such things, they obviously use SHIELDING, and thus can use normal, i.e. dirt cheap SSDs, and therefore they should have scores of terabytes of storage on Artemis. But they haven't.

posted on Jan, 3 2023 @ 10:41 AM
link   

They use special radiation hardened devices built with CMOS on an insulated substrate

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Jan, 4 2023 @ 05:59 PM
link   

I asked you about SSDs, because you mentioned "rotating hard disks" as being easier to affect, therefore they would be using solid state memory, but you said "Probably because the normal memory cards you buy on any store would not resist the radiation without the protection of the Earth's atmosphere." when OBVIOUSLY they aren't using memory cards for 1TB of memory (which is, in itself, absolutely LAUGHABLE on a mission of this cost).

I should have been clearer about what I meant, as I was talking about the two main technologies used to store large(ish) amounts of data.

So where is the 'magic' computer memory made, that is impervious to radiation?

Not impervious, more resistant.

As I said - there IS no separate chip fab plant making such things, they obviously use SHIELDING, and thus can use normal, i.e. dirt cheap SSDs, and therefore they should have scores of terabytes of storage on Artemis. But they haven't.

What you say doesn't change the facts that some companies do make hardened chips that are capable of resisting higher radiation levels.
Shielding adds another layer of protection, but shielding itself is not enough, as if some radiation passes through the shielding then they risk having bad data or a damaged chip. With radiation hardened chips (made with different materials and methods) the resistance against radiation becomes much higher.

top topics

join