It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Any Mechanics here ?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 1 2022 @ 03:55 PM
link   
a reply to: Mandroid7

Just sold our 2016 SRT grand it had 70,000 got 32 not bad in my opinion , Didn't want to start repairing it rear end in that was 4 grand .

posted on Sep, 1 2022 @ 04:28 PM
link   
a reply to: Ravenwatcher
If the CVS and diffs are checked and it's not the problem, it might be toe-in and or stance.

Turn the steering wheel into one direction until you reach maximum angle and photograph them from multiple directions. I want to see the side walls and surface of the tires as well as the stance. When the steering wheel is set straight, how does it look inside the wheel housing? Do both go parallel?

Has the toe-in and stance been checked? What about servo drive or steering rack? Maybe a tooth is missing?

posted on Sep, 1 2022 @ 06:02 PM
link   
What is the year and model of your Jeep
Is there a check engine light on?
ABS OR 4WD light?
All time awd is finicky as a cat.
Air pressure difference in a tire can make it act up.

posted on Sep, 1 2022 @ 06:06 PM
link   
Per an online owner's manual for a 2006 jeep Commander 5.7.
NOTE this is what I dug up. Triple-check before putting these into your Jeep:

Axle Differential (Front-Rear) Mopar® Synthetic Gear & Axle Lubricant SAE 75W-140 (API-GL5) or equivalent with friction modifier additive.

Change both differential fluids with a solid name-brand gear oil, in this weight with the limited slip modifier already included. Don't guess amounts by adding modifier to regular oil.

Transfer Case (4.7L/5.7L Engines) Mopar® NV 247 Transfer Case Lubricant

Change the transfer case fluid with this exact fluid. I'd be careful with an aftermarket "meeting" this spec.

Hopefully this does it, otherwise the clutches might be spalled and we'll try not to think about that...
edit on 1-9-2022 by gb540 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 1 2022 @ 06:33 PM
link   
Drive it around in a tight circle (full lock) on a loose surface - get some one to watch the tyres to see if they skip.

The noise maybe less... if the tyres skip its most likely diff - if it has '___'. Bad diff will make steering feel heavier too.

Do the same on tarmac. Under load - 'clack clack clack' - CV joint.

PS Use genuine OE fluids. Do not compromise.
edit on 1-9-2022 by YesTodayTomorrow because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 1 2022 @ 08:27 PM
link   
Have you checked out any Jeep owners websites online? I am guessing that you have.
CV joint would be my guess also.

posted on Sep, 1 2022 @ 11:16 PM
link   
I have heard a damaged strut making a kind of muffled thump upon cornering or turning and also a loose steering rack or damaged rack can make a sound like that.

I have heard CVs pop with a muffled sound and no rip was in the boot at all, had to change one for that reason once. CVs don't always make the usual sound cvs make. Are the tires highly overinflated, sometimes they can cause strange banging sounds in vehicles, but the sound actually comes from the hard rubber hitting gravel or cracks in the road when that happens...it sounds like something is loose and banging.

Check the tire pressure, some gauges are way off, my granddaughter thought she needed something in the front end and a couple of mechanic friends said she did...she came over, sixty eight pounds of pressure in all four tires...drained out the excess and the sounds went away. They stuck too much air in the tires when she brought it in for an oil change, they must have had a defective gauge and no common sense, if a tire is round...you don't put that much air in it that they put in.

posted on Sep, 2 2022 @ 05:44 AM
link   

The best 2 days of a Jeep owner's life.. the day they buy it and the day they sell it! I know from experience, lol. Good luck!

posted on Sep, 2 2022 @ 09:52 AM
link   

If you added the friction modifier to the diff and it changed the noise it's your differential. I would pull the inspection plate off and have a look. You could probably get a whole front end from a junkyard cheap.
edit on CFri, 02 Sep 2022 09:53:39 -0500am2022-09-02T09:53:39-05:00kamFridayam2022-09-02T09:53:39-05:00k by Crackalackin because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join