It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Apollo Missions Images Remastered.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 26 2022 @ 04:47 PM
link   
Andy Saunders quit his job 10 years ago, and he has spent the time going through 35,000 images in NASA's archives. and has been remastering. The first photographs shown have produced some stunning results.

Enjoy.

posted on Aug, 26 2022 @ 04:57 PM
link   
Yes, let's look at remastered images on a potato quality video (360p)

posted on Aug, 26 2022 @ 06:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: Paschar0

In 1969, likely before you were born, and well before the computer as we know it was invented.

posted on Aug, 26 2022 @ 06:16 PM
link   
I laughed my ass off the first time I saw this...love to share it. Is it real? I like to think so...

www.youtube.com...

posted on Aug, 26 2022 @ 06:22 PM
link   
a reply to: Lazarus Short

No, it's obviously fake.
And a bad one.

posted on Aug, 26 2022 @ 06:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: schuyler

In 1969, likely before you were born, and well before the computer as we know it was invented.

It seems that NASA used some Paper Floppy drives and had some sort of PC, because when Intel produced the first 3 small 3 chip batch in the 70s, one of the chips was cosmetically unsellable. That chip was perfectly good, and my dad's friend who worked at Intel brought Dad that chip. He built a PC from scratch around it. It ran on a paper floppy drive like NASA had used. It had a screen and printer. It was headlines in the Sunday newspaper. The inside section had a giant picture of the PC with my dad and little sister in my old bedroom. She was a little girl in the pic, and she is in her mid 50s now. No one had a PC back then in their house. It was eventually donated to a local college and used as a teaching instrument in the Computer Science class. We still have the newspaper. This was in the 70s, sometime after 76 when I left home
edit on 26-8-2022 by visitedbythem because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 26 2022 @ 07:20 PM
link   

Part of me wants to say its from the following film which was about how they faked the moon landings, its a parody, worth a watch if you have an interest either way

posted on Aug, 26 2022 @ 07:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: ArMaP

No, it's obviously fake.
And a bad one.

Good point ArMaP,
Just shows how self opinionated people..for absolutely no good reason, stay opinionated, for no good reason.

The very intelligent...and funny, Monty Python film, The, 'Life Of Brian' is a good example of that, with biblical Lazarus and the blind man who declared he could see, then immediately fell into a hole!

edit on 26-8-2022 by smurfy because: Text.

posted on Aug, 26 2022 @ 07:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: visitedbythem

originally posted by: schuyler

It was eventually donated to a local college and used as a teaching instrument in the Computer Science class. We still have the newspaper. This was in the 70s, sometime after 76 when I left home

I look back fondly on those years of now antiquated equipment that was SO COOL way back then. I still have a complete FidoNet BBS on a hardcard that fits on an ISA bus that I will never see again, but I just can't give it up. I screwed up and threw away my last deck of cards years ago. And that's the fate of a lot of this stuff, with NASA, too. The tapes they have are losing their magnetism and they don't have the drives to read them anyway. "Progress" is moving too fast. It's not "planned obsolescence, but it amounts to the same thing. "It belongs in a museum!" and all that.

posted on Aug, 26 2022 @ 08:18 PM
link   
Many thanks alldaylong for posting the YouTube.

I think it is great that some of the film has been remastered digitally for future generations to see what our generation accomplished in the 60s and 70s, using low technology as compared to today to achieve man's greatest accomplishment (IMO).

The 3 letter Intelligence Agency I worked for during that period had the NASA contract for mapping the moon and landing sites, I was a young Cartographer/Photogrammetrist specializing in photo interpretation and precise measurements used to measure crater depths and rim heights using photogrammetry techniques with advanced optical instruments. It was an honor of a life time to be selected for working on the 'Apollo Lunar Landing Project', and I was humbled and grateful for the experience of a lifetime.

Those that say we never went to the Moon have not done the in depth and proper research, and are being a disservice to the successful Apollo missions. I'm not going into all the ways that there is proof the USA went to the Moon, but just the satellite pictures showing the landing sites with tracks and equipment that was left there, including the Lunar Roving Vehicle (LRV) which is enough proof.

One of the mementos I have is a small square of the gold foil from Apollo 15 that was brought back to Earth.

I hope to live long enough to see a Mars landing. I am a Musk fan, and believe he will be one of the important the keys to landing safely on Mars.

a reply to: alldaylong

edit on 26-8-2022 by lunarcartographer because: additional info

edit on 26-8-2022 by lunarcartographer because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 27 2022 @ 12:59 AM
link   
a reply to: Paschar0

The author is on social media and has been posting his remastering efforts for some time, you can always check them out there.

posted on Aug, 27 2022 @ 02:34 AM
link   
Remastered = Raise contrast and brightness, done

posted on Aug, 27 2022 @ 04:17 AM
link   
a reply to: Spacespider

Bit more to it than that as I'm sure you know. BBC article and interview:

www.bbc.co.uk...

His Twitter feed:

twitter.com...

The book's £60. I'm dropping heavy hints to my family for Christmas.

posted on Aug, 27 2022 @ 04:48 AM
link   
a reply to: smurfy

For those that watched it at the time, it's obvious that what we see on that short clip looks nothing like what we saw.

"Life of Brian" is brilliant in many aspects, one of my all time favourites.

posted on Aug, 27 2022 @ 04:58 AM
link   
a reply to: schuyler

It's called "technologic obsolescence" and it's one big problem for archives.
Physical documents, regardless of support, have all we need to get the information from them, but data gathered through technologic means implies the use of some kind of technology to be able to access the data.

Even people at home that bought their first computers in the 1980s have that problem, with 5 1/4 floppy disks that fit nowhere and cannot be read, then 3 1/2 floppy disks that for which there aren't any drives in modern computers, backups made on Iomega Zip drives that connected to the parallel port (that modern computers do not have), Jazz drives that used SCSI cards that fit on ISA slots, CD-ROM disks that were supposed to last many years but become unreadable after 5 or 10, etc., etc.
The best way of keeping that data is to keep on moving it to new supports or to keep an old system working, none of which is easy.

posted on Aug, 27 2022 @ 07:37 AM
link   
a reply to: ArMaP

One of the problems the Lunar Orbiter Image Recovery Project had in getting data off the tapes they had was getting machines that could read them, and then replacing parts on those machines when eg drive heads failed. Some tapes were more damaged than others, but the big deal was the hardware to read them.

posted on Aug, 27 2022 @ 01:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: ArMaP
a reply to: schuyler

It's called "technologic obsolescence" and it's one big problem for archives.

Not to mention people. I retired from a career in IT 18 years ago and now I am personally technologically obsolete.

posted on Aug, 27 2022 @ 03:14 PM
link   
That Jim McDivitt "before and after" images looked a bit suspicious to me, so I looked for online versions of that image, and the best one is much better than the one they show as "before", and this was the best I found, much better than the supposed "before" image.

After a basic levels adjustment in Gimp:

So, although he did a good work (if we ignore his change of colours to what he thought they should look), it's nothing special.

PS: The above images are the 492 x 515 pixels JPEG version, the best image available on the Gateway to Astronaut Photography of Earth is a 4400 x 4666 pixels, 16 bits per pixel uncompressed TIF image.

Edited to correct one thing: the TIFF image is 5700 x 5800 pixels.

edit on 27/8/2022 by ArMaP because: (no reason given)

top topics

join