It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Well this is not good

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+8 more 
posted on Aug, 17 2022 @ 02:11 PM
link   
Cancer doesn't just run in my family, it sprints.

Aunts, Uncles...
My Dad died of lung cancer.
My Mom had small cell lung cancer and has been in remission for about 10 years and many of you know that my sister recently had surgery and is undergoing chemo for ovarian cancer.

Like I said in another post, I had a Dr appt the other day and since it had been so long, I told her to just gimme the works, which included a PSA.
[ Prostate-specific antigen ]

For my age group [ 50 - 59 ] a reading of 3.5 is considered normal.

At what PSA level should I be concerned?
PSA levels under 4 ng/ml are generally considered normal, while levels over 4 ng/ml are considered abnormal. PSA levels between 4 and 10 ng/ml indicate a risk of prostate cancer higher than normal. When the PSA level is above 10 ng/ml, risk of prostate cancer is much higher.

My PSA came back 44.80 and I'm no math genius but I'm pretty sure that's higher than 10.

Strange thing is, I'm not afraid or worried. I guess I've had the thought of " I'm next " in the back of my mind so long that it just wasn't a surprise. It was just one of those things that, to me, was inevitable and I'd deal with it as it comes.

I have an appt with a Urologist tomorrow and we'll see how it goes, but I'm optimistic. I'm 58, in pretty good shape for my age and with modern treatment, I got this covered. Hell, a friend of mine who is 74 had his removed by Arthroscopic surgery and was back out on the golf course in about a week.

If you're 40 or over, go get checked. It's a minor exam. Yeah, it's weird to have someone stick a finger up your butt, but it beats the hell outta cancer.

posted on Aug, 17 2022 @ 02:17 PM
link   
a reply to: DAVID64

Good luck, I hope everything works in your favor.
Stay positive, sometimes the negativity will make things worse.

Both my parents passed away from cancer in their mid 60s.
I am 56 and in pretty good health but I still smoke, disgusting habit that I need to break for a lot of reasons.

posted on Aug, 17 2022 @ 02:22 PM
link   

Good luck. We have much better treatments to defeat most kinds of cancer these days. Having been through chemo, radiation and cancer surgeries myself, I know how much it sucks, but things are often much better when you come out on the other side of treatment. And things have come a long way since I had my cancer over 30 years ago.

posted on Aug, 17 2022 @ 02:22 PM
link   

You have a great attitude! You will get many prayers and good wishes from the ATS bunch.
So, here's wishing you good health!

posted on Aug, 17 2022 @ 02:28 PM
link   

I am sure you'll be alright!
This is early to get it checked.
My dad waited and he died of prostate cancer at 63 or so

Sending you good energy.

If it DOES happen to be cancer what would you do?

After watching my Dad, I don't know if I trust chemo at all.

posted on Aug, 17 2022 @ 02:31 PM
link   

Hang in there young man

Getting mine checked in 2 weeks

posted on Aug, 17 2022 @ 02:34 PM
link   

Good luck and yea you got this.

Sincerely.

posted on Aug, 17 2022 @ 02:39 PM
link   
a reply to: RazorV66

I still smoke because of the massive propaganda against it. But I did switch to pipe tobacco cigars. Since everyone who knew me over 20-30 years ago is literally shocked thatr I'm still alive, I believe I might have serendipity on my side.

posted on Aug, 17 2022 @ 02:41 PM
link   
What's the cancer that runs trough your family really meaning? It's an uncomfortable question, I know.

Not implying anything, just an approach I found beneficial when dealing with family history.

Good luck and love on your journey.

posted on Aug, 17 2022 @ 02:45 PM
link   

Best wishes for your health.

Cheers

posted on Aug, 17 2022 @ 02:45 PM
link   
Best wishes. I’m awaiting scan results on my left lung.

posted on Aug, 17 2022 @ 02:47 PM
link   
a reply to: Cymru

Good luck to you too!

posted on Aug, 17 2022 @ 02:48 PM
link   

I have been wondering how things were going with your sister, but have been hesitant to ask. I'm sorry you have to deal with cancer, and on more than one front no less. I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers.

Treatments are constantly improving; you've got this!

posted on Aug, 17 2022 @ 02:49 PM
link   
Glad you are getting it checked out, if it's just an enlarged prostate and it might be they have new technics that have promise. Good Luck let us know how it goes, last time mine was checked it doctor said it was a little swollen. Ive even heard there are foods that are bad for your prostate. Hopefully, you will have nonsurgical options.

[url]https://www.healthline.com/health/mens-health/high-psa-no-cancer#age[/url

Overview

Prostate-specific antigen (PSA) is a protein produced by prostate gland cells. Elevated levels may indicate prostate cancer, but PSA levels can also be affected by other things, such as enlarged prostate, a urinary tract infection, or recent ejaculation.

On their own, PSA levels aren’t a good indicator of prostate health. Instead, your doctor will look at your PSA levels alongside other risk factors, like age, digital rectal exam results, and family history. Keep reading to learn more about why your PSA levels may be high.

If it is just enlarged this treatment is supposed to be excellent and has been well received

www.mayoclinic.org...

posted on Aug, 17 2022 @ 02:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: Cymru
Best wishes. I’m awaiting scan results on my left lung.

Best wishes to you too,

posted on Aug, 17 2022 @ 03:00 PM
link   
a reply to: Cymru

Best wishes, Cym.

Cheers

posted on Aug, 17 2022 @ 03:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: Terpene
What's the cancer that runs trough your family really meaning? It's an uncomfortable question, I know.

Not implying anything, just an approach I found beneficial when dealing with family history.

Good luck and love on your journey.

My theory ?

I'm from the hills of Eastern Ky and there was a LOT of illegal chemicals dumped by mining companies over the years.
I was born in 1964 and for years we drank the water that came from those hills. Hills that were pockmarked with abandoned mines that made a perfect dumping ground to hide barrels of chemicals that leeched into the ground water. There is a decades long history of illness in that part of the state and the EPA looked the other way despite claims from dozens of families.

posted on Aug, 17 2022 @ 03:41 PM
link   
Its time for me. Have not had a proper check up in 15 years.

posted on Aug, 17 2022 @ 04:21 PM
link   

Wish you the best and .....CANCER SUCKS !!!

posted on Aug, 17 2022 @ 04:37 PM
link   

My wife worked for the dick doctor for 10 years. He told his patients that as long as prostate cancer was caught early enough, they would die of something other than prostate cancer. And by early enough means before is spreads. I'm not a doctor, but he was. (retired) OF course be concerned, and do all you can to mitigate this, but don't think that cancer=death.
You just moved and have a lot of things left to do. Don't worry, this will all work out.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join