It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Stunning Image of Supernova Remnant Processed by New Australian Supercomputer

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 13 2022 @ 04:12 PM
link   
About I million years ago a Star about 15,000 light-years away went full Supernova , this is what it left behind.

Estimated to be more than a million years old, and located 10,000-15,000 light-years away from us, this object in our galaxy was first classified as a supernova remnant by CSIRO radio astronomer Eric R. Hill in 1967, using observations from CSIRO's Parkes Radio Telescope, Murriyang.

Supernova remnants (SNRs) are the remains of powerful explosions from dying stars. The ejected material from the explosion plows outwards into the surrounding interstellar medium at supersonic speeds, sweeping up gas and any material it encounters along the way, compressing and heating them up in the process.

The image was captured by Australia's Square Kilometre Array , due to the sheer amount of data collected by the 36 dish Array this image was processed Using supercomputer.

Within 24 hours of accessing the first stage of Australia's newest supercomputing system, researchers have processed a series of radio telescope observations, including a highly detailed image of a supernova remnant.

The very high data rates and the enormous data volumes from new-generation radio telescopes such as ASKAP (Australian Square Kilometre Array Pathfinder) need highly capable software running on supercomputers.

This is where the Pawsey Supercomputing Research Centre comes into play, with a newly launched supercomputer called Setonix – named after Western Australia's favorite animal, the quokka (Setonix brachyurus).
www.sciencealert.com...

When stuff goes Bang.

posted on Aug, 13 2022 @ 04:17 PM
link   
a reply to: gortex

Beautiful image, but you have to be awestruck at the sheer power of the forces that ripped an entire star apart.

posted on Aug, 13 2022 @ 04:21 PM
link   
So cool so we can assume anything within the cloud was incinerated? or is it just an ever-expanding massive gas cloud?

posted on Aug, 13 2022 @ 04:22 PM
link   

There is both a Spaceballs, and a South Park Cheesy Poof reference joke opportunity here

But that is a stunning image, you kinda get lost in it easy

posted on Aug, 13 2022 @ 04:27 PM
link   
a reply to: putnam6

Anything in the vicinity of the Supernova would have been incinerated but the cloud is traveling through space distributing its carbon and heavy elements into the Cosmos to create life.

The dust and gas may condense into new stars perhaps with their own planets.

posted on Aug, 13 2022 @ 04:39 PM
link   

That is one BIG fireball!

I wonder if the Webb telescope will look at it?

Still waiting for new images from that.

posted on Aug, 13 2022 @ 04:45 PM
link   

Another wonder Gortex!

BTW, I thought the SKA data (from an international array of telescopes, not just Aussie) was going to be processed by a Los Alamos supercomputer? Have the Aussies bought/built their own now?

(I was in on the initial planning of the SKA, but I have moved countries since and aren't up on the latest play).

edit on 13/8/2022 by chr0naut because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 13 2022 @ 05:22 PM
link   
Its mind blowing how that has been expanding for a million years and yet still looks like a "fresh" explosion.

I wonder if there is a planet with life which is at a safe distance but near enough to see this fill part of their sky.
I bet they would have some wacky religions and doom cults

posted on Aug, 13 2022 @ 05:35 PM
link   
Absolutely boomtastic Gortex

The scale breaks my brain

Imagine just imagine how mysterious that is... and then how insignificant and tiny it actually is on a grand universe scale, a monster and ant

posted on Aug, 13 2022 @ 06:47 PM
link   
The vastness, the expanse of it all, shows humanity's true insignificance, to see so many stars and systems we will probably never visit.

unless we find out aliens have been capturing us and taking us off the planet for thousands of years.

posted on Aug, 14 2022 @ 12:50 AM
link   
a reply to: Nyiah

Taco Tuesday.

posted on Aug, 14 2022 @ 02:28 PM
link   

The atoms may build humans in Billions of years.

join