It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Stupid OCD

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 4 2022 @ 09:41 PM
link   
Just need to rant a bit. I've had OCD on and off for probably 20 years now.
I can never feel fully peaceful and calm because of it, there's always that nagging anxiety. Mostly perfectionism related type of OCD.
I try to just relax and play games, watch a movie etc, but then these OCD thoughts creep in again and I have to handle accordingly to 'calm' me .
All the constant 'what if's' , that replay in my mind , something I overlooked, something important for sure and that will mess it all up again.
On and on and on.

This is on top of work /life , which means it messes things up as I feel unable to function at times.
I'm not in therapy or any stupid meds (pfooh big pharma)
I just want a mind reset at this point

Talking and venting a bit helps.
Thanks for listening

edit on 4-8-2022 by ancientlight because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 4 2022 @ 10:01 PM
link   
It must be tough. I liked the series Monk. He had OCD. Not much else I can say. I can sympathize and imagine what it must be like to be a perfectionist but I don't know personally. I've heard of people with OCD so bad they have to wash their hands 100 times a day. I feel bad for their hands! I imagine it must be tough on the family members that have to deal with that type of mental disorder as well.

I found an article on OCD. Probably nothing new for you, but thought I'd share.

Compulsive Behavior—Does It Control Your Life?

posted on Aug, 4 2022 @ 10:07 PM
link   
a reply to: ancientlight

Yeah, I like to score numbers to get over my OCD.

posted on Aug, 4 2022 @ 10:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: myselfaswell

Yeah, I like to score numbers to get over my OCD.

I instantly spotted the 'wrong' one

posted on Aug, 4 2022 @ 10:17 PM
link   
a reply to: randomuser
Thanks . I'm trying some OCD app, that's supposed to help, but the very first thing it suggested was to banish intrusive thoughts
I mean yes, duh! If it were that easy I wouldn't need help

posted on Aug, 4 2022 @ 10:20 PM
link   
I have had OCD all my life, I know no other way.....it is normal for me. Everything is OCD...even going fishing, even eating...even drinking...always evaluating the cost of going out and deciding if it was worth the headache.

No big deal, others think I am somewhat strange but I also have my opinions of them. I see people making the same mistakes over and over, they think it is not the same mistake because they changed a little tiny thing and it still leads to disaster.

I have patients but the older I get the less patients I have with people in society, soon they will be calling me a crabby old man. I warn my kids....they think I am old....I know what they are doing is going to get messed up from my own experience and the observation of many friends throughout the years that made mistakes. I learned long ago to learn from others mistakes and not believe I can do better all the time...sure I can sometimes do better but it takes observing others and evaluating things precisely to guarantee success.

I need things organized because I like to get things done without having to work as hard or wind up getting little done....I am an efficiency fanatic along with being critical of doing things right.

I see others just walking around like a puppy and sometimes wish I could do that, even smoking pot back in the seventies did not help, in fact, it made me analyze things more when I was stoned. I spent half of my life attempting to suppress my nerdishness, but now I don't want to do that anymore...when nerds in technology think I am a nerd is that a complement or insult?

posted on Aug, 4 2022 @ 10:36 PM
link   
OCD that's a tough one, but I haven't been around persons that have this condition, but prayers that you find relief soon. It doesn't have to be medical though. It could easily be therapy or even diet. I understand the reticence about big pharma and prescription meds too, but there may be other remedies that would at least help it somewhat. The main thing is don't stop trying to figure out your key, your root cause. For me, all it took to knock those tendencies down was taking a lysine supplement, nascent iodine, and Gabatrol. Id listen to Eric Berg he has some great ideas, Ive used before like lysine and iodine. Whatever you do give it a couple of weeks, of consistent use to see results.

I just happen to prescribe to the notion that how and how much your brain signals miss fire is the root cause of many disorders. Here's another good resource

neuroscientificallychallenged.com...

The neurobiology of OCD is still being sorted out, but current perspectives suggest that at the root of OCD are problems with communication between three brain areas: the cortex, striatum, and thalamus (i.e. cortico-striato-thalamic pathways). The pathways that connect these areas are involved in both the initiation and termination of behavior; researchers believe that an imbalance within these pathways may cause individuals with OCD to get stuck in repetitive loops of thought and behavior. Because selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs) can be helpful in treating OCD, it has been hypothesized that serotonin may play an important role in the disorder. Cortico-striato-thalamic pathways, however, also utilize dopamine heavily, so some have suggested that an imbalance between serotonin and dopamine levels may be at the root of the disorder.

In a study recently published in Nature Neuropscyhopharmacology, an international team of investigators (Radua et al.) focused on how white matter tracts in the brain might be affected in OCD. While the cell bodies of neurons make up what is known as grey matter, white matter is mostly made up of myelinated axons. Axons are the long extensions of neurons that carry information away from the cell body, making it possible for that signal to then be passed to an adjacent neuron. Myelin is a white insulatory material that covers axons and facilitates the conduction of a signal down the axon.

Radua et al. compiled the results of 34 studies that used methods like diffusion tensor imaging to examine white matter integrity in OCD patients. They found that widespread abnormalities in the white matter of OCD patients (as compared to non-OCD patients) had been reported. Aberrations were most frequently seen in tracts that make up the corpus callosum and cingulum. The corpus callosum is a large fiber bundle that connects the left and right hemispheres of the brain, while the cingulum is a group of fibers that connects different structures of the limbic system. Some of the reported abnormalities were related to the cortico-striato-thalamic pathways typically associated with OCD, but there were also published reports of anomalies beyond these pathways.

The implications of these findings aren't completely clear, but they reinforce the view that OCD is a disorder that results from faulty communication between multiple brain areas. They also, however, support hypotheses that suggest that the pathophysiology of OCD expands beyond the cortico-striato-thalamic loops mentioned above. Thus, our current perspectives on OCD are probably only beginning to scratch the surface of what is likely an irregular and complex interplay between several areas of the brain.

posted on Aug, 5 2022 @ 01:12 AM
link   

Isochronic tones and binaral beats work well for some people. Studies have shown that the isochronic tones usually work better than binaural beats. The brain responds more readily to isochronic tones. Stereo headphones or ear pods are recommended, although isochronic tones can be used with external speakers and still have an effect.
Binaural beats are two slightly different tones presented to each ear at the same time. Isochronic tones are single tones that go on and off at regular intervals.

Isochronic tones produce a much more distinctive sounding beat, which produces a stronger reaction in your brainwave electrical activity. Which is what ultimately makes them more effective and a stronger method of brainwave stimulation.

posted on Aug, 5 2022 @ 01:30 AM
link   
a reply to: putnam6

I'll take a look at some of those supplements. Thanks

I think my diet is very healthy , healthier than the average American I'm sure.
Never fast food, lots of fruits & veggies, don't drink, exercise etc.
I have heard about the brain/gut connection, but I'm a bit skeptical of this OCD connection claim though.

posted on Aug, 5 2022 @ 01:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: ColeYounger

Isochronic tones and binaral beats work well for some people. Studies have shown that the isochronic tones usually work better than binaural beats. The brain responds more readily to isochronic tones. Stereo headphones or ear pods are recommended, although isochronic tones can be used with external speakers and still have an effect.
Binaural beats are two slightly different tones presented to each ear at the same time. Isochronic tones are single tones that go on and off at regular intervals.

I'll check it out , thanks!

posted on Aug, 5 2022 @ 03:09 AM
link   
I feel for, I too have some OCD. Hope this following video might make you have a little smile, or perhaps it will offend you and other?

edit on 5-8-2022 by Cloudbuster because: Spelling

posted on Aug, 5 2022 @ 03:54 AM
link   

Excuse the change of topic, but I recalled something through my brain fog.

You asked before about opportunities to do physical activities outdoors that were not typical.

Just wanted to mention you may wish to look into "Outward Bound".

Cheers

posted on Aug, 5 2022 @ 06:31 AM
link   
Umm...it's CDO.
Alphabetical.

posted on Aug, 5 2022 @ 10:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: ancientlight

I have heard about the brain/gut connection, but I'm a bit skeptical of this OCD connection claim though.

Suffice it to say ancientlight, you have posted a few of these types of threads recently, I'm listening and you got this

FWIW not trying to sell you, I just always feel better when I'm proactive on top of it seems some of his ideas for helping me adjust to Meniere's disease, vertigo, and nausea really worked.

it's not just a healthy diet, it's about adjusting to the changing needs of your body to just function normally. If you are having OCD impulses your body isn't functioning normally period. For instance there are some fruits I can't eat because they

For example, before I started taking the iodine I had small growth that was sore as hell right where my thyroid is, now 6 weeks later and it's gone completely and a jacked thyroid throws your whole system out of whack. What you need to do for yourself may be totally different.

It's highly possible that because I virtually eliminated as much salt intake from my diet, because of HBP and fluid retention, etc. I became iodine deficient therefore needing a supplement I never needed before.

Berg isn't alone, about diet adjustments for some relief and Id definitely monitor your blood sugar too. It isn't gonna be one thing, but a series of changes and tweaks may help you. You may have a food allergy that manifests itself as a stress/OCD response.

I can't recall have you always had OCD tendencies? or is this something relatively new?

All I know is for 50-plus years I had no issues mentally at all, but after 50 on certain meds, I'd feel like I was wigging out a bit. Now I only take an allergy pill every day, a ginger supplement, lysine, iodine, and no carbs, or refined sugars. LOL, I still got issues but they aren't mental ones anymore.

For me, I sometimes just change my routine to break things up and get out of the rut. Yes, I listen to binaural beats and isochronic tones all the time. Breathing exercises ETC., hell I used to take Lisinopril for BP but now diet, hydration, and breathing exercises I can handle most BP spikes I get.

You got this...regardless

impulsetherapy.com...

posted on Aug, 5 2022 @ 11:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: putnam6

originally posted by: ancientlight

Suffice it to say ancientlight, you have posted a few of these types of threads recently, I'm listening and you got this

FWIW not trying to sell you, I just always feel better when I'm proactive on top of it seems some of his ideas for helping me adjust to Meniere's disease, vertigo, and nausea really worked.

it's not just a healthy diet, it's about adjusting to the changing needs of your body to just function normally. If you are having OCD impulses your body isn't functioning normally period. For instance there are some fruits I can't eat because they

For example, before I started taking the iodine I had small growth that was sore as hell right where my thyroid is, now 6 weeks later and it's gone completely and a jacked thyroid throws your whole system out of whack. What you need to do for yourself may be totally different.

It's highly possible that because I virtually eliminated as much salt intake from my diet, because of HBP and fluid retention, etc. I became iodine deficient therefore needing a supplement I never needed before.

Berg isn't alone, about diet adjustments for some relief and Id definitely monitor your blood sugar too. It isn't gonna be one thing, but a series of changes and tweaks may help you. You may have a food allergy that manifests itself as a stress/OCD response.

I can't recall have you always had OCD tendencies? or is this something relatively new?

All I know is for 50-plus years I had no issues mentally at all, but after 50 on certain meds, I'd feel like I was wigging out a bit. Now I only take an allergy pill every day, a ginger supplement, lysine, iodine, and no carbs, or refined sugars. LOL, I still got issues but they aren't mental ones anymore.

For me, I sometimes just change my routine to break things up and get out of the rut. Yes, I listen to binaural beats and isochronic tones all the time. Breathing exercises ETC., hell I used to take Lisinopril for BP but now diet, hydration, and breathing exercises I can handle most BP spikes I get.

You got this...regardless

impulsetherapy.com...

Thanks for the reply
I had OCD as a young child too. I couldn't go outside without reciting a list of cartoon character names (in order!
) in my head. Also I was double/triple checking things back then. I was VERY imaginative as a child, hid things I was up to from my parents which may have triggered more stress/OCD response, who knows how this things start?

posted on Aug, 5 2022 @ 03:48 PM
link   

Can you describe a little of your problems?

I think I just discovered I have it after I realize I check the windows are up on my car too many times and even then I don’t feel sure I closed them. I looked it up and it says it can be OCD.

posted on Aug, 5 2022 @ 09:53 PM
link   

Ancientlight, thank you for sharing. Youre ok. God bless!

posted on Aug, 5 2022 @ 10:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: nOraKat

Can you describe a little of your problems?

I think I just discovered I have it after I realize I check the windows are up on my car too many times and even then I don’t feel sure I closed them. I looked it up and it says it can be OCD.

Does it give you severe anxiety if you don't act on these thoughts? Does the anxiety subside once you act out on the thoughts? Does it seems to become worse , and more frequent with time?
Does it interfere with your daily life and the relationship with friends/family ?
Do you involve friends/family with your rituals ?

new topics

top topics

join