It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Any work around for Sim Copter crashing on XP?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 24 2022 @ 08:31 PM
link   
XP runs far too fast on our laptop so after the 2nd emergency dispatch the game crashes. You have to frequently save the game to avoid it. Not fun.

I can run it on PCEM emulator with Win 98SE just fine via Pentium MMX or Pentium II Socket 8 Gigabyte up to Celeron 500 but it would be nice to get it to work on the laptop we have without crashing due to running too fast. Was that always a problem on XP for the older Maxis games even though they are NOT Dos based?
edit on 24-7-2022 by Sooga because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 24 2022 @ 09:09 PM
link   
Does this help?

edit on 24-7-2022 by jerich0 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 24 2022 @ 09:29 PM
link   
a reply to: jerich0

Doesn't explain my main question about work arounds on XP. I'd love to get it to work on the laptop so I don't always have to use PCEM on my Win 10.
Thanks anyways though interesting nostalgia even though I recently tried to play it.

posted on Jul, 24 2022 @ 09:38 PM
link   
there is an update at this link

archive.org...

posted on Jul, 24 2022 @ 09:48 PM
link   
a reply to: putnam6

Do I copy the contents over the existing one then? It says you can't actually 'play the game' what does that even mean? Does it mean only career mode is no good and you can still fly user cities? The whole page seems a bit sketchy to me for some reason and I've downloaded before from Archive.

posted on Jul, 24 2022 @ 10:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sooga

Do I copy the contents over the existing one then? It says you can't actually 'play the game' what does that even mean? Does it mean only career mode is no good and you can still fly user cities? The whole page seems a bit sketchy to me for some reason and I've downloaded before from Archive.

I thought you might need the patch, not the actual game

www.myabandonware.com...

posted on Jul, 25 2022 @ 12:21 AM
link   

I have the actual game installed. Don't need to download that.
edit on 25-7-2022 by Sooga because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 25 2022 @ 12:47 AM
link   
a reply to: Sooga

he showed you an app that lets it run on newer hardware...

posted on Jul, 25 2022 @ 01:26 AM
link   

there is a patch on that page that lets it run on win 10... lol smh..

posted on Jul, 25 2022 @ 01:37 PM
link   

go there,get the patch. if not dont play the game. : )

posted on Jul, 26 2022 @ 02:20 AM
link   
a reply to: yuppa

You didn't answer my question. What does the patch do to the game when I copy it over?

posted on Jul, 26 2022 @ 02:21 AM
link   

My hardware is Windows XP and Windows 10 via PCEM. Right now I can play it via PCEM with Windows 98SE installed and just completed the first mission. I would LOVE to play it on the laptop which it runs insanely fast then crashes.

posted on Jul, 26 2022 @ 11:37 AM
link   

My hardware is Windows XP and Windows 10 via PCEM. Right now I can play it via PCEM with Windows 98SE installed and just completed the first mission. I would LOVE to play it on the laptop which it runs insanely fast then crashes.

Read the page. It lets it run on newer hardware. You won't need an emulator or win98, it will run on windows 10. Dude you need to learn what people are saying, and stop being a dork.

The video I posted was telling you how to do it, the other post has a patch for the original game that you have, that lets you do it.

READ. If you're still using WinXP well I dunno.... I give up.
edit on 26-7-2022 by jerich0 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 27 2022 @ 02:13 AM
link   

On XP it runs too fast and crashes within 2 mins of gameplay. I don't need the patch for 10 since I have PCEM and can actually play the full game. The modern patch is only a partial version of the game:

I already said I can already emulate it on PCEM which I am at level 3 now real close to buying a new helicopter so as far as Windows 10 goes I don't need the modern patch on my host computer as he says you can't play the full game if you do get it to work.

I just want to see if I can get this to work on the laptop as a secondary way to play this. The only one not listening is you.
edit on 27-7-2022 by Sooga because: (no reason given)

ps: I am going to try the patch on the laptop though to see what it does now that my sinusus have drained better. I'll put a vide of the PCEM version though to show I have it working that way to show you what it looks like. The guy said the Win 10 patch dosn'

posted on Jul, 27 2022 @ 02:18 AM
link   
a reply to: yuppa

Here's what the patch says: "Patches the celebration scene. Adds a realistic flight model. Note: You can't actually play the game (you can only fly around) when in 3Dfx mode."

What is realistic flight model mean and what is you can't actually play the game mean? That's my concerns there.
The celebration scene is when you complete a level and you land your copter back at the hanger they do a little parade for you.

new topics

top topics

join