It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

For There is No Other Name Under Heaven Given to Mankind by which we Must Be Saved

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 16 2022 @ 09:55 AM
link   
'Jesus of Nazareth, King of the Jews'...philosophy-religion.blurtit.com...

IHS ---> www.catholic.com...

IHS, a monogram of the name of Jesus Christ. From the third century the names of our Savior are sometimes shortened, particularly in Christian inscriptions (IH and XP, for Jesus and Christus). In the next century the “sigla” (chi-rho) occurs not only as an abbreviation but also as a symbol. From the beginning, however, in Christian inscriptions the nomina sacra, or names of Jesus Christ, were shortened by contraction, thus IC and XC or IHS and XPS for Iesous Christos.. These Greek monograms continued to be used in Latin during the Middle Ages. Eventually the right meaning was lost, and erroneous interpretation of IHS led to the faulty orthography “Jhesus”. In Latin the learned abbreviation IHC rarely occurs after the Carlovingian era.The monogram became more popular after the twelfth century when St. Bernard insisted much on devotion to the Holy Name..

he had Greek name in community but a Hebrew name in the Nazorean cult he practiced and attributed his Priesthood to
edit on th31165798353416582022 by St Udio because: (no reason given)

my thought is the name is secondary to the Title -> Christ

posted on Jul, 16 2022 @ 05:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: sarahvital
they spoke .Aramaic,

Aramaic is a language that is 3000 years old, or even more. Words are made up from the 22 characters of the Aramaic alphabet. It is part of a group of languages called the Semitic languages. This group has Aramaic, Hebrew, Arabic and many other languages in it. Some old kingdoms used Aramaic language for business.

the new testament was written around 300 AD.

No.

I can give you the approximate dates if you are interested. The apostles who wrote the Epistles, and documented Christs life had been dead way before 300 AD. John was the last one alive. I think he wrote 1st John, 2nd John and 3rd John before 95 AD, and he was quite old by then.

If my memory serves me correctly, Revelation was written by John while he was on the island of Patmos, toward the end of his life. He was a prisoner there. Revelation capped off the whole Bible. In fact, he put a warning at the end of it, that no one was to add to it.

Paul, who wrote about 30% of the New Testament, had already been martyred long before Revelation was penned.

What I thought was amazing, was the report card to the churches from Christ. Some got good marks, but some luke warm Christians were told that they sickened Yeshua, and he would vomit them out of his mouth, due to their materialism, and poor behavior. Those are things we need to consider in our own lives. How would Yeshua grade each one of us, in the ways we are behaving in our lives right now?

Remember, we are the Beloved. Peace be to each of you who know the Lord personally, and have the indwelling of Holy Spirit.

posted on Jul, 16 2022 @ 05:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: cooperton

originally posted by: visitedbythem

He has appeared throughout time in human form, long before he was born in Bethlehem.

When Abraham dined with Melchizedek it was specifically noted that they gave thanks by eating bread and wine. Melchizedek was the high priest. This may be why Jesus said that Abraham saw His day and was glad.

Melchizedek was the high priest and the King of Salem. Do you remember where Salem was? It was the original tongue shaped area where Jerusalem is now. How about that? Most people dont know that. I gave you a star by the way. Good job!

posted on Jul, 16 2022 @ 10:58 PM
link   
Yes, Aramaic
was the spoken language
at the time of Jesus and his Apostles.
Names/pronunciations of "Jesus" during
that period,
for those that are interested :
New Testament
Aramaic Lexical Dictionary:

Phonetics- "YeSHuW'"
www.studylight.org...

wikip info
"Yešuʿ"
en.wiktionary.org...
"yēšûʿ"
en.wiktionary.org...
"world language translations"
"yēšûʿ"
en.wiktionary.org...
"Isus" for the majority
Interesting too is
"God" spoken in the time of Jesus was :
Phonetics-AaLaHaA
www.studylight.org...

edit on 17/7/22 by ToneDeaf because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 17 2022 @ 01:25 AM
link   
a reply to: Raggedyman

Ok. I see that I at least said it wrong.
I looked, using “Strong’s” and Blue Letter Bible, and there are differences with the phrase, as I tried to describe, but it is with the word “in,” (in Greek: epi vs eis) which changes the meaning, even if in the end it kinda means the same thing. Let me try again:

As far as I understand it (at least for now) the phrase “in the name of” in Matthew 28:19 means “into,” like ‘into the relationship,’ while that phrase in Acts 2:38 is more like “by,” like ‘by the power or authority of…’

With Matthew 28:19, sure, it might not be ownership, but I’m not sure if there’s too much difference, is there? Like when you said adoption, that is a submission. And isn’t the title Lord referring to (basically) ownership (eta: or Master which again is basically same thing)?

I certainly want to avoid the Gnosticism we are warned of, so let me know what you think.
edit on 7/17/2022 by japhrimu because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 17 2022 @ 03:49 AM
link   
a reply to: TTU77
The meaning of "name", in the Bible, is more usually "reputation". It doesn't have to be about the literal sounds which come out of someone's mouth, or literal letters on the page.

Modern understanding of the Bible is being killed off by obsessive literalism, which is related to "itching ears" syndrome (because it keeps trying to find new things to believe).

posted on Jul, 17 2022 @ 04:34 AM
link   
YHWY used to be in the old testament 8000 times until they changed the name to Lord or Adonai. It's confusing.

If He saw fit to include that name that many times through His profits, how is it okay to have man come in and take it out.

Is it okay if any Christian doesn't know the name YHWY.

I do believe, with God, all things are possible, and surely, it is the faith and believe in the heart that is most important but I'm still not convinced changing names, removing them, etc, isn't un-important or trivial.
edit on 17-7-2022 by TTU77 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 17 2022 @ 04:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: TTU77
YHWY used to be in the old testament 8000 times until they changed the name to Lord or Adonai. It's confusing.

If He saw fit to include that name that many times through His profits, how is it okay to have man come in and take it out.

Is it okay if any Christian doesn't know the name YHWY.

I do believe, with God, all things are possible, and surely, it is the faith and believe in the heart that is most important but I'm still not convinced changing names, removing them, etc, isn't un-important or trivial.

God is a name in itself for our god. Whatever you do or say he can be aware of. When you're important enough to be heard he will hear, it depends on how you are valued by him. God is an invisible consciousness.

posted on Jul, 17 2022 @ 06:18 AM
link   
a reply to: japhrimu

It’s very very wrong
No where is becoming a Christian in the bible equating salvation as ownership
In fact, completely the opposite, it’s like being welcomed into family, not serfdom or slavery
In fact, God lives inside a Christian, who is part of Jesus who is in God
Almost like making a Christian part of the Trinity/Godhead

Again, it’s not in anyway akin to ownership
Salvation is a gift, receiving it is free and when received, a Christian responds by loving others as a choice, not by paying salvation back or earning it
Take the prodigal, gift given, taken, left and returned, that’s not slavery, that’s love

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join