It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Chinese city builds bridge around house after owner refuses to move

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 9 2022 @ 04:47 AM
link   
Chinese city builds bridge around house after owner refuses to move

A house was seen tightly wedged between two wings of a newly-built bridge in southern China’s Guangdong province. The owner of the house has declined to move, and the local government has failed to reach an agreement with her since 2010.

MOD NOTE

15i.) Language: The dominant language of our users and moderation staff is English. In order to promote a smooth-running environment and fair enforcement of the Terms and Conditions of Use (and the Terms and Conditions of Membership), you agree not to Post or chat in any language other than English.

Terms And Conditions

edit on Sat Jul 9 2022 by DontTreadOnMe because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 9 2022 @ 05:09 AM
link   
a reply to: xizhimen

At least over there your property is your property and if you don't want to sell you don't havr too sell , over here the government would just slap a Compulsory Purchase order on it and the owner would be out on their ear.

Not sure I'd be keen on living in the middle of a road though.

posted on Jul, 9 2022 @ 05:16 AM
link   

saw that on the news a couple weeks ago

we have our own example like that here in Belgium, the guy refused to sell his property so they just build a roundabout around his house
link to image

posted on Jul, 9 2022 @ 05:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: gortex

You can rent a house somewhere else and reap the benefit of not moving

A family holds their ground and refuses to move for 13 years, the government didn't back down, neither did the family, but because the house location is in in the middle of a flyover complex, a golden location for advertisement, some companies pay them to erect advertisement billboards on the house, this family made over ¥100 million, ($15,770,000 USD)during the past 13 years from the advertisement billboards.

最有远见“钉子户”,13年从未获任何赔款,但凭借这个收入过亿.
www.163.com...

posted on Jul, 9 2022 @ 05:23 AM
link   
a reply to: KindraLabelle2
I think some of them are very greedy

A nail house in Chinese Guangdong province holds their ground for 17 years, refuses to move unless the government pays them 300 million Yuan ($47 million)

posted on Jul, 9 2022 @ 05:25 AM
link   
Nail house
Traditional Chinese 釘子戶
Simplified Chinese 钉子户
neologism for homes belonging to people (sometimes called "stubborn nails") who refuse to make room for real estate development. The Chinese slang term, a pun, refers to nails that are stuck in wood, and cannot be pounded down with a hammer.

posted on Jul, 9 2022 @ 05:57 AM
link   

At least over there your property is your property and if you don't want to sell you don't havr too sell , over here the government would just slap a Compulsory Purchase order on it and the owner would be out on their ear.

Unfortunately, this is very far from the truth.

A lot of land in China is owned by local village comittees, and is signed over to people on a lease arrangement.

The village comittee can take the land away from people and sell it on. Often for a large profit. Officially there is a compensation scheme, but the money offered to people is often derisory.

Corrupt officials have long been known to seize people's land, sell if got a huge sum of mone, and then keep most of the compensations. I 'm not sure what the situation is like now, but a few years back there were regular riots by farmers protesting against land seizures.

Back then there was feirce competition between regional towns and cities to try to attract new business, and one of the ways that they would do this would be to build these elaboreate entrances to impress visitors. Think, a small town with a 6 lane highway leading up to it, a roundabout that would suit a freeway, and these huge floral displays.

Local officials would usully build these on farm land, and would bribe people to seize it. Quite a few people protested and were wither arrested or simply killed.

posted on Jul, 9 2022 @ 06:20 AM
link   
a reply to: AaarghZombies

I never heard anyone was killed for refusing to move in China, do you have any verified info on this claim? there might be some isolated cases but as far as I know, all house owners would be compensated and a great number of people got super rich overnight and it's a once in a life time fortune if it hits. In Beijing local slang we called them "吃瓦片的”, loosely transalted into "old house eaters". When you see young or not so old people live in big houses , driving fancy cars but don't seem to work any jobs, very likely they belong to this category.

posted on Jul, 9 2022 @ 06:26 AM
link   
It's a very common matter in China, that's why we have multiple slangs related to this phenomenon, more info can be found on google if you are interested. Even in Beijing, Many planned development projects were greatly stalled by some "nail houses".

www.google.com... 9TA2Ov4AhV2R2wGHSLoBSwQ4dUDCA4&uact=5&oq=nail+house+in+china&gs_lcp=Cgdnd3Mtd2l6EAMyBQgAEIAEMgYIABAeEBYyBggAEB4QFjIGCAAQHhAWMgYIABAeEBYyBggAEB4QFjoHCC MQ6gIQJzoECCMQJzoECC4QQzoQCC4QsQMQgwEQxwEQ0QMQQzoICAAQsQMQgwE6CgguEMcBENEDEEM6DQguEMcBENEDENQCEEM6BAgAEEM6CgguELEDEIMBEEM6DQguEMcBEKMCENQCEEM6DQguELED EIMBENQCEEM6BwgAELEDEEM6BwguELEDEEM6BwgAEMkDEEM6BQgAEJIDOggIABCABBCxAzoLCAAQgAQQsQMQgwE6CwguEIAEEMcBEKMCOgsILhCABBDHARCvAToHCC4QgAQQCjoICAAQgAQQyQM6Cg gAEIAEEIcCEBQ6CwgAEB4QDxDJAxAWOggIABAeEA8QFjoJCAAQHhDJAxAWSgQIQRgASgQIRhgAUABY5D9ggUFoBHAAeAOAAb4IiAGHI5IBCjAuMTguMi43LTGYAQCgAQGwAQrAAQE&sclient=gws- wiz
edit on 9-7-2022 by xizhimen because: (no reason given)

edit on 9-7-2022 by xizhimen because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 9 2022 @ 07:04 AM
link   
a reply to: gortex

Earlier this year the local Authority put a CPO on a property near where I live.
They have scheduled road improvements including a large roundabout and the women's house was in the way.
She is the third generation of her family to live in the property and didn't want to move. She has friend close by, amenities more or les son her doorstep and her and her husband are well known in the local community.
But no amount of discussing/pleading with the local Council Authority worked and they slapped a CPO on her and she has had to move out.

Traffic is a bit of a nightmare round thereat times and it should improve the flow but I got the impression the Council didn't spend much time and effort seeking alternative solutions.

posted on Jul, 9 2022 @ 07:18 AM
link   

originally posted by: xizhimen

I never heard anyone was killed for refusing to move in China, do you have any verified info on this claim? there might be some isolated cases but as far as I know, all house owners would be compensated and a great number of people got super rich overnight and it's a once in a life time fortune if it hits. In Beijing local slang we called them "吃瓦片的”, loosely transalted into "old house eaters". When you see young or not so old people live in big houses , driving fancy cars but don't seem to work any jobs, very likely they belong to this category.

That's the propoganda, but the truth is that most of the time this happens to poor farmers and their village comittees pocket the compensation. There have been countless riots over this, and many have died.

Link

Link

Link

I find it strange that you're willing to believe all kinds of things about China, and yet you find this difficult to swallow?

(post by AaarghZombies removed for a serious terms and conditions violation)

posted on Jul, 9 2022 @ 07:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: xizhimen

That's the propoganda, but the truth is that most of the time this happens to poor farmers and their village comittees pocket the compensation. There have been countless riots over this, and many have died.

I find it strange that you're willing to believe all kinds of things about China, and yet you find this difficult to swallow?

I am Chinese and I live in China, I personally has a friend who used to be very poor and often borrow money from me but because of 拆迁 he became a multi millionaire overnight, his old home is in 北安河, kind of countryside near Beijing and the land where his old houses stood was being developed for the subway stations. I m pretty sure there are conflicts and protests relating to land disputes in China, I personally saw such protests several times in Beijing, but they are isolated cases, by and large, land development all follow the same procedures of conpensation negotiations.

(post by xizhimen removed for a serious terms and conditions violation)

posted on Jul, 9 2022 @ 07:44 AM
link   
We had the same thing happen in the North of England on way to Leeds

Famous farm in middle of M62 to become more sustainable

Stott Hall farm made national headlines in the 1960s when the M62 was built and has been a focal point ever since.

Inside the house built in middle of M62 motorway as owners explain why it's there

posted on Jul, 9 2022 @ 08:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: AaarghZombies

Unfortunately, this is very far from the truth.

A lot of land in China is owned by local village comittees, and is signed over to people on a lease arrangement.

The village comittee can take the land away from people and sell it on. Often for a large profit. Officially there is a compensation scheme, but the money offered to people is often derisory.

Corrupt officials have long been known to seize people's land, sell if got a huge sum of mone, and then keep most of the compensations. I 'm not sure what the situation is like now, but a few years back there were regular riots by farmers protesting against land seizures.

Back then there was feirce competition between regional towns and cities to try to attract new business, and one of the ways that they would do this would be to build these elaboreate entrances to impress visitors. Think, a small town with a 6 lane highway leading up to it, a roundabout that would suit a freeway, and these huge floral displays.

Local officials would usully build these on farm land, and would bribe people to seize it. Quite a few people protested and were wither arrested or simply killed.

That's the Chinese way of life I know.

posted on Jul, 9 2022 @ 09:22 AM
link   

Be sure to stop by the 'science' labs where their body parts were donated. Maybe they can tell you more.

posted on Jul, 9 2022 @ 09:23 AM
link   

What's with all these sudden new 'debunking' accounts? It makes it feel like a MSM search engine sometimes.

(post by AaarghZombies removed for a serious terms and conditions violation)

posted on Jul, 9 2022 @ 10:23 AM
link   
a reply to: SortingHat

New?

Some of those are from over a decade ago.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join