It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Overall confidence in US institutions at record low

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 5 2022 @ 03:42 PM
link   
I'll say this I haven't had confidence in the executive or legislative branches in a long time, but now you can add the courts and most of the important departments, FBI, DOJ, CIA, NHS, NSA, etc. Not sure what the answer is, but we need effective leaders ones we can have confidence in that they are at least competent regardless of party affiliation.

thehill.com...

Overall confidence in U.S. institutions hit an all-time low in a Gallup poll released Tuesday, with only 27 percent of Americans expressing “a great deal” or “quite a lot” of confidence in 14 major U.S. institutions.

Gallup noted that the finding is 3 points below the prior low in 2014, adding that trust in major institutions has been in trouble for the past 15 years.

The presidency, Supreme Court, Congress, small business and the military are among the 14 institutions Gallup lists in its survey.

The presidency, Supreme Court and Congress all saw all-time lows in confidence, the survey giant noted.

As Americans continue to deal with record inflation, the presidency saw a 15-point drop in confidence compared to last year’s 23 percent.

Pollsters recorded at least a 10-point drop in confidence in the presidency from respondents from both political parties compared to last year.

Congress, meanwhile, saw a 5-point drop, to 7 percent.

The poll, which was was conducted before the Supreme Court overturned Roe v. Wade, found an 11-point decrease in confidence in the court, to 25 percent.

The Supreme Court saw a double-digit loss in confidence from independents and Democrats, but no change among Republicans, according to pollsters.

Republicans lost more confidence than other parties in banks and expressed double-digit losses in confidence in the police and military, the survey found.

edit on 5-7-2022 by putnam6 because: Link added

posted on Jul, 5 2022 @ 03:50 PM
link   
The Federal alphabet soup has proven to the world that they aren’t honest, accurate, and have a low level of integrity. As proof I would like to sight, 2 Trump impeachment’s, the January 6th circus, the FBI’s total failure of the Steel documents. The list could go on for pages.

posted on Jul, 5 2022 @ 03:53 PM
link   
The voters got exactly what they voted for. 81 million people supposedly voted for the state our country is in. I hope they enjoy their mess and would just warn them to stay out of our way. I just wish they’d go get jobs instead of standing on the corner with a sign for a handout. Their handouts are suppose to come from the people they voted for, not the people they hate so much cause we have a different opinion when it’s time to vote.

posted on Jul, 5 2022 @ 03:54 PM
link   
There's always been a few bad guys in the alphabet agencies, but the uber-corrupt Barack Obama totally weaponized govt agencies to target his opponents. (Along with Eric Holder, his partner in crime)

The fact that Barry and Michelle still have legions of worshippers shows how stupid the average American democrat voter is.

Obama Corruption

More

More

posted on Jul, 5 2022 @ 03:55 PM
link   
a reply to: putnam6

and if the media wasn't propagandized/weaponized in such a way, even LESS citizens would approve of these institutions

smh

posted on Jul, 5 2022 @ 04:01 PM
link   
a reply to: FamCore

Thats no longer an excuse in my opinion. Everyone has access to some sort of social media and has had the other side pointing out issues for years now. Almost everyone is active politically these days too, even the kids. So I just call it willful ignorance at this point.

posted on Jul, 5 2022 @ 04:09 PM
link   

Not sure what the answer is, but we need effective leaders...

I respectfully disagree. I think we've already given far too long much confidence in elected officials and therefore too much power. We need to put our confidence in the people and empower the people to make decisions for the people.

We also need to replace confidence in elected officials with healthy skepticism and demand maximum transparency in all they do.

It's all about the balance of power. It always is!

posted on Jul, 5 2022 @ 04:11 PM
link   
a reply to: Middleoftheroad

Anecdotally, my in-laws and a bunch of my immediate family members all still seem convinced the current administration and Progressives/Democrats in general are "right" about most things, and Conservatives/Republicans are "wrong" about most things, Jan. 6th was a violent insurrection but BLM/Antifa riots of 2020 were "peaceful and justified".

I'd be willing to bet my bottom dollar they will continue voting blue as well.

Anyway, that's just in my small little circle!
edit on 5-7-2022 by FamCore because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 5 2022 @ 04:35 PM
link   

What is the source for this?
Not surprised just wanting to see who published it.

Thanks!

posted on Jul, 5 2022 @ 04:39 PM
link   

Duh.

I love my country.

I hate my government.

posted on Jul, 5 2022 @ 04:39 PM
link   
I say let it all burn down and see if we can summon a phoenix.
What's that quote? Benny Franklin said it, You have a republic, if you can keep it.
Well Americans we obviously can't keep it. I meant 81 million seem to really hate the great experiment. Humans are too petty as a whole to rise above their own destruction.

posted on Jul, 5 2022 @ 04:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: Boadicea

Not sure what the answer is, but we need effective leaders...

I respectfully disagree. I think we've already given far too long much confidence in elected officials and therefore too much power. We need to put our confidence in the people and empower the people to make decisions for the people.

We also need to replace confidence in elected officials with healthy skepticism and demand maximum transparency in all they do.

It's all about the balance of power. It always is!

I respectfully disagree I even said in the post, I haven't trusted or had confidence in the executive or legislative branches for a long time. Trump included even though I don't think he was wrong by any stretch, and he was mostly just hounded into where so many hated him. That he wasn't gonna be an effective leader, just because of that alone. It's part of being an effective leader.

On top of what does this below even mean?

We need to put our confidence in the people and empower the people to make decisions for the people.

what is "put confidence in people" exactly?

Who are we going to empower? how do we select the people we are to put our confidence in?

We can elect only who is available?

I abhor the 2 party system that gives us career politicians and corporate and special interest lobbyists, if we eliminated those 3 issues, perhaps a competent leader could have some effectiveness and perhaps more transparency.

Not even sure what you mean about balance? A balance between what? Parties? Economics?

posted on Jul, 5 2022 @ 04:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: chris_stibrany

What is the source for this?
Not surprised just wanting to see who published it.

Thanks!

Added the link

thehill.com...

posted on Jul, 5 2022 @ 04:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: ColeYounger
There's always been a few bad guys in the alphabet agencies, but the uber-corrupt Barack Obama totally weaponized govt agencies to target his opponents. (Along with Eric Holder, his partner in crime)

The fact that Barry and Michelle still have legions of worshippers shows how stupid the average American democrat voter is.

Obama Corruption

More

More

You aren't wrong but that kind of leadership tendency has been around a while too... of course, it was easier back then they had a more trusting public.

posted on Jul, 5 2022 @ 05:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: FamCore

and if the media wasn't propagandized/weaponized in such a way, even LESS citizens would approve of these institutions

smh

Yes we used to have a healthy skepticism and it was because of the media, but now the media anoints whomever it wants to and it protects and deflects for the incompetent politicians instead of roasting them.

posted on Jul, 5 2022 @ 05:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy

Duh.

I love my country.

I hate my government.

I apologize the subject is definitely tiresome I know.

I'm not even talking about hate, hell I didn't like Clinton or Obama but I didn't think they were incompetent perse, and it wasn't as dysfunctional. I suppose most of that is the media and circumstances. Without COVID Trump gets re-elected but who knows what that would have made the Democrats do.

I really don't think we have enough competent people in all parties, we have always had graft and corruption, but at least it never felt like they were getting into situations beyond their capacities.

We now are in those situations routinely and those departments that were our overseers and checkers and balancers are as full of corruption and graft as the executive and legislative branches are, as well as our media.

posted on Jul, 5 2022 @ 05:35 PM
link   

We need to put our confidence in the people and empower the people to make decisions for the people.

By that I mean that we find and implement ways to empower the people. For example, establishing a national initiative process, enabling the people to both propose and vote on potential laws, rather than relying on legislators only. Such legislation passed by the people would still be subject to judicial review, but not legislative review.

Such a system could likewise be implemented to allow the people to approve and/or repeal acts of the legislature.

"Balance of power" means all affected parties have equal decision making powers, and preventing any parties from having too much power over other parties.

posted on Jul, 5 2022 @ 06:04 PM
link   
This topic triggered a flashback, reminds me of that old Beatles song “Dig it”, (1969 Glyn Johns mix)

posted on Jul, 5 2022 @ 06:10 PM
link   

We now are in those situations routinely and those departments that were our overseers and checkers and balancers are as full of corruption and graft as the executive and legislative branches are, as well as our media.

I sympathize with you but when Corporate entities take control, like the Military Industrial Complex, Banks, big pharma,etc, of the government. Checks and balance lose all meaning. It's the Dark side of Capitalism. In effect a Corporate Oligarchy that has no allegiances to anyone other than the stock holders and everyone else is just data and customers to buy, watch TV, and STFU.

And Media like ATS and other social media sites are designed as a tracking device so the plebes have a place to blow off steam.

1984x10k and as old Whaaa used to say...."Welcome to the Monkey House"

"Same as it ever was" indeed

edit on 5-7-2022 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 5 2022 @ 06:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: Boadicea

By that I mean that we find and implement ways to empower the people. For example, establishing a national initiative process, enabling the people to both propose and vote on potential laws, rather than relying on legislators only. Such legislation passed by the people would still be subject to judicial review, but not legislative review.

Such a system could likewise be implemented to allow the people to approve and/or repeal acts of the legislature.

"Balance of power" means all affected parties have equal decision making powers, and preventing any parties from having too much power over other parties.

Thank you for the explanation, so in other words, cut out some of the politicians and have a direct vote?

I got no problem with that at all, as long as it could be secure and verified, but no politician is gonna vote for something that removes their importance.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join