It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Which states did Trump's economy work the best and worst?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 2 2022 @ 03:52 AM
link   
I can tell you outright we never got Trump's economy rolling here in Oregon instead we got the steamroller a rolling knocking things down and they were quick to hint Trump's 'trickle to the rich' as the cause. All I know is the last Bush era we had a major boom here in Oregon despite reeling in 9/11 we grew rapidly to the point plans were in place for road ideas that were killed.

In fact it was brought up again to make a bridge over the Wheatland Ferry with after much heckling the final plan was a 2nd bridge at Keizer Parkway to just north of the river park: Keep the historical ferry for the farmers and tourists/bicycle tours in the summer months,etc. The idea went to hell in a handbasket under Obama. www.statesmanjournal.com... They brought it up in 2019 which was our best chance at it but Covid killed it I guess.

posted on Jul, 2 2022 @ 05:46 AM
link   
a reply to: SortingHat

Red states. As blue states turned themselves into so called "Sanctuary cities" which simply meant they accepted any illegals and released tons of murderers and rapists from prison and threw a ton of money away in order to support that behaviour. those states and cities also refused to accept the vaccine. Until biden that is. then all of a sudden the vax was god.

posted on Jul, 2 2022 @ 06:01 AM
link   
Nearly from the election nite returns things began to pick up here in Tennessee. Confidence was high, and that’s what really drives the economy.

posted on Jul, 2 2022 @ 01:54 PM
link   
Texas may have had the most overall gain under Trump. 😎

posted on Jul, 2 2022 @ 07:38 PM
link   
An impartial assessment based on numbers (not feelings): summary here

Please note that there's 4 years of data, and that if yo click each section you will find rankings for each of the items they list. In full, there's over 1,700 charts (so if you want to argue something, you can find a chart there.) The economy is not the only thing that contributes to overall happiness/success.

Note that the rankings don't change drastically for the most part. If the states did well under Trump, they also do well under Biden. I suspect that if we went back and looked at each of these metrics, we'd find the rankings to be similar under Obama.

Ballotpedia has data, but it's only from 2013-2014.

Note that what makes up "the economy" is a combinaion of multiple factors and a state can be good in one measure (employment) and bad in another (growth)

I have not sorted this into each year -- if you'd like to investigate that for yourself, there is the raw data.

So. There's the answers. You can use "gut feeling" all you like or "personal experience" (which may differ from state stats), etc. But there's the numbers and they can be fact checked if you take the time to go to each state's website and look at other data resources.

posted on Jul, 2 2022 @ 07:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: xuenchen
Texas may have had the most overall gain under Trump. 😎

The Texas economy went from 6th at the beginning of Trump's term to 8th during 2019. Check out the year-distributed data in the PDFs here

So that'd be a "nope." And we felt it, too.
edit on 2-7-2022 by Byrd because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 2 2022 @ 08:29 PM
link   
a reply to: everyone

Not sure how bad it got here in Oregon since we don't live near Portland. We live in the rural parts of the valley..

posted on Jul, 2 2022 @ 08:30 PM
link   
a reply to: Nickn3

Could that be why we are having such massive delays with next gen hardware/software? We are still literally in 2017 tech while we should be moving in post 2020 tech but it ain't happening and I think it may have to do with lack of confidence in the economy and overall crappy global situation we are in with threat of wars in many places.

Dad says that and I think so too. Under Trump no new wars started either:
edit on 2-7-2022 by SortingHat because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 2 2022 @ 08:31 PM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

How about the retail sector? Did you lose most of your stores like here? That's usually the sign of a 💩economy.

posted on Jul, 2 2022 @ 08:35 PM
link   
a reply to: Byrd

Thanks. Oregon seems pretty crap at anything other then infrastructure but a lot of it got fixed after the 2020 ice storm so that may have boosted things. Pacific Power we never got much more then random lights flickering and maybe 1 or 2 hours at most during storms. In fact the only reason we lost power as long as we did during the ice storm (3 days) was mainly due to PGE's piece of 💩.

Hell WaveCable was already to go BEFORE the power was fixed but had to wait on the lines. Well not ON the lines OUCH!

posted on Jul, 2 2022 @ 09:01 PM
link   
What would individual state economies reflect? Level of cooperation or resistance towards policies?

The Trump economy was very simple.
1. Manufacture domestically.
2. Hire workers to work domestically.
3. Workers spend wages on items produced domestically.

Do Ford and GM still make cars other than the Mustang, Camero and Corvette? How about Fiat/Chrysler/Dodge?
Do they manufacture domestically other than final assembly and decals?
How about Levi’s? Did they ever start making jeans in the US again?

Can’t fault the plan if no one followed it.

posted on Jul, 2 2022 @ 09:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: SortingHat

Thanks. Oregon seems pretty crap at anything other then infrastructure but a lot of it got fixed after the 2020 ice storm so that may have boosted things. Pacific Power we never got much more then random lights flickering and maybe 1 or 2 hours at most during storms. In fact the only reason we lost power as long as we did during the ice storm (3 days) was mainly due to PGE's piece of 💩.

Hell WaveCable was already to go BEFORE the power was fixed but had to wait on the lines. Well not ON the lines OUCH!

As you reminded me, many things about a state's economy are not in the ability of the sitting President to affect. Biden's presidency was not the cause of our horrible long power outage in the winter of 2021 (I knew some folks whose friends died during that). That's all squarely on a long history of the idea that Texas is "energy independent" (a stupid idea) and Abbot and the congresscritters' lack of attention to our aging infrastructure (he's sending troops to the border to stop an imaginary immigration wave ... and not giving a hoot that cities are already starting to see brownouts and that this may be one of the warmest summers ever.

So it's more about management by the state than what national officials can do.

No President or Congress put Texas so far down the ladder in health care or education. That's all the state's doing, right there.

posted on Jul, 2 2022 @ 09:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: Ahabstar
What would individual state economies reflect? Level of cooperation or resistance towards policies?

The Trump economy was very simple.
1. Manufacture domestically.
2. Hire workers to work domestically.
3. Workers spend wages on items produced domestically.

Do Ford and GM still make cars other than the Mustang, Camero and Corvette? How about Fiat/Chrysler/Dodge?
Do they manufacture domestically other than final assembly and decals?
How about Levi’s? Did they ever start making jeans in the US again?

Can’t fault the plan if no one followed it.

No state ever followed that plan 100%... and it's been a national policy for a long time (Trump didn't invent it (see this article from 2010 which discusses some of the issues)

[url=https://www.thebalance.com/donald-trump-economic-plan-3994106]Here's Trump's actual economic plans that he put into effect
Note that he'd say what pleased crowds at his rallies but that this did not translate into Executive Orders or laws.

posted on Jul, 2 2022 @ 09:21 PM
link   

POTUS doesn’t make laws nor does his EO’s have the force of law.

Ohio’s DeWine is a never Trumper Left Center Republican. He convinced Intel to build a plant in the Columbus area, but accomplished little else nor backed other initiatives like immigration and “sanctuary laws”

Rural parts of Virginia threatened to leave under their Governor to either WV or another new state.

Covid domination of the media along with Russia Collusion and other Resist Propaganda made people forget these types of stories.

posted on Jul, 3 2022 @ 02:17 AM
link   
I don't know the answer to that question, but the overall trend was definitely downward, based on my mutual fund performance. It picked up to a record year last year, and then dropped way down again with the Russian invasion.

posted on Jul, 3 2022 @ 02:19 AM
link   
a reply to: Ahabstar

I think that's the REAL reason malls went under. People blame E commerce but E commerce was around in 2003 yet malls made it thru half of Obama before folding. By then the cow was out of the barn and nothing I mean NOTHING was made in the US anymore (except the sticker on the product). They actually passed a law in the 90s that if a sticker said 'It was made in the US' it was considered official even if it was just the sticker.

The reason behind THAT was parts were being made from many different countries for engines. Parts for some of an engine may be from Mexico others from China or Korea,etc or all three! China had this problem before Xi Jinping where they had this 'junk ships' for war that nobody had compatible parts to fix something simple because the parts all had different specifications all on the same ship! You had to have different versions of the same tools just to make it fit.
edit on 3-7-2022 by SortingHat because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 3 2022 @ 07:49 AM
link   

Texas is electric independent. They have their own grid. The Western grid and the two Eastern grids can all fail and Texas will hum along. But Texas can fail and not drag the other grids with it in a cascade failure either. Like Ohio has done a few times.

posted on Jul, 3 2022 @ 09:11 AM
link   
a reply to: SortingHat

Not everybody had "access to" e commerce in 2003, nor did they trust it 😎

It's a creeping phenomenon like walking immigration 😀

posted on Jul, 4 2022 @ 12:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: Nickn3
Nearly from the election nite returns things began to pick up here in Tennessee. Confidence was high, and that’s what really drives the economy.

West? Middle? East? I'm in Middle Tennessee, and I've been feeling slightly squeezed financially. Not too terribly, but enough to make me a bit uneasy. I'm somewhat well off, and if I feel uneasy than many more are probably feeling it worse.

posted on Jul, 4 2022 @ 07:45 AM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

Dude Amazon did books back in 2000 and branched to other venues by 2003 becoming a big store by 2007. I heard Amazon this and that by 2009 but that's not the point. The point is the malls started selling Chinese crap nobody wanted and here they sold clothes for punks. Families stopped shopping when that happened and in came the homeless. Eventually they started popping all over the bathroom a few years ago before Covid had hit and that was the final straw. JC Penny closed instead of driving them out. Eventually they did something about it but it was too late.

They lost their core shoppers by that time whom didn't want to worry about their cars being broken into. Salem police are now not responding to petty crime watch it soar this next year! Salem is going to be dangerous unless you have a gun to defend yourself.
edit on 4-7-2022 by SortingHat because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join