It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Timeless Message or Personal Artistic Expression?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 1 2022 @ 10:33 PM
link   
I've been delving into music for inspiration lately. I have for most of my life really, but I've had to actively include music in my life more recently for some reason. Old age perhaps or just caught up in the grind so much I had forgotten musical inspiration. It can be a powerful motivating force if you can find inspiring music and lyrics.

So I have been contemplating some music I find meaningful and inspiring. One is "The Low Spark of High Heeled Boys" by Traffic and another is "Head Like a Hole" by Nine Inch Nails. Just examining the lyrics of both songs sends me timeless messages, however, upon deeper research I've found that neither song is about what I interpreted them to be.

With Low Spark, I find a deep mystical meaning about the spiritual power of higher beings and our place as mere mortals when it is more likely about drug use and the music industry at that time. With Head Like a Hole, I thought it was about materialism, money and power over the masses. Once again it was more likely about crack addiction and growing up in a strict rural Bible belt family.

But what make these songs great in my mind? Art is hard to judge when beauty is in the eye of the beholder, everyone sees it differently. We all bring something to the table as an audience and maybe, regardless of the original story or message that was intended by the artists, it contains some universal meaning that appeals across a wide spectrum of people. A message, although misinterpreted, that has an unintended connection to the human condition.

I'd rather believe that these artists touched upon something outside of what inspired them. These particular life experiences created something well beyond a singular perspective. This creates classic and timeless music because it has an appeal beyond the scope of it's conception. It doesn't really matter what the song or musical score it is, it's about how it resonates with the listener and the world they find themselves in.

posted on Jul, 1 2022 @ 11:19 PM
link   
a reply to: MichiganSwampBuck

I love traffic, can’t say that I ever thought about “low spark” the way you have, I’ll give it a few listens tomorrow. The artists I really go nuts for are the Moody Blues, and Pink Floyd. Tons of meaning with those guys. My favorites are “Gypsy”, and “Shine On You Crazy Diamond”.

Those were the days, for really deep meaning and unreal musical talent. I miss them greatly.

Tell you what, listen to Gypsy if you can, and post what you get out of it, I’ll do the same, and respond on here in 24 hrs.
I’m giving you the easy one I think.

posted on Jul, 2 2022 @ 05:02 AM
link   

As Topcraft mentioned, you should try some Moody Blues, they have music of a similar vein.

posted on Jul, 2 2022 @ 05:24 AM
link   
a reply to: Topcraft

Thanks, I'll check out Gypsy. I like Moody Blues, Ride my See Saw, Nights in White Satin, etc.

As far as Low Spark goes, I interpreted that as the spark being a small insignificant action by high heeled (elevated) boys (beings). The "sound" is all you notice, you're not even aware of the spark, not even the high heeled boys notice it as they are so elevated above everything else.

"Don't worry too much it'll happen to you" as it is our fate as mortals to be at the whim of these higher beings. "But it wasn't the bullet that laid him to rest, was the low spark of high-heeled boys" It's the low spark that has control over your existence, your fate, that's like a bullet from a gun without noise (although I took that part literally).

That's where I'm coming from, unfortunately, that's not what it's talking about. I could go on about what is considered the real story behind those lyrics, but I don't think I need to do that to make my point about timeless music and individual interpretations vs the intended meanings.

ETA: Plus that massive chord they strike toward the end of the song, man that is the greatest chord in rock music IMO.
edit on 2-7-2022 by MichiganSwampBuck because: Added extra comments

posted on Jul, 2 2022 @ 07:45 AM
link   
I have always had a deep love for music across the many genres. It's the universal language.

I enjoyed reading what you wrote, so I'm not going to add to it or take away from it. I'm just gonna say, thanks.

posted on Jul, 2 2022 @ 08:12 AM
link   

I just checked out Gypsy and I remember that one for sure. I originally got into the Moody Blues when I got a live album at a garage sale when I was in high school. It was most of their popular tunes and kind of rough as it was a live performance.

Now, upon first thoughts of the lyrics, it sounds like an alien space traveler leaving his distance home that he can never return to. More or less lost in space and trying to find a new world like his own.

Obviously it goes deeper than that. It reminded me of the Rolling Stones "2000 light Years from Home", a song with what I think is a cool sixties era groove that would be a good modern remake.
edit on 2-7-2022 by MichiganSwampBuck because: Typo

posted on Jul, 2 2022 @ 08:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: Klassified
I have always had a deep love for music across the many genres. It's the universal language.

I enjoyed reading what you wrote, so I'm not going to add to it or take away from it. I'm just gonna say, thanks.

Very cool, thanks and you're welcome.

Initially I was exploring music on You Tube to inspire a story I've been working on. I was poking around the 80s-90s era alternative rock genre to help set a mood and to give direction to the story. With the dark subject matter I've been working with, I found that the inspiration and writing flows best for me late at night after consuming about a six pack while listening to music. This is not the case with music that generally inspires me, but seems to help my muse with this project.

ETA: Just want to thank everyone for their input and the flag. Basically I wondered if anyone thought about music like I have been lately.
edit on 2-7-2022 by MichiganSwampBuck because: Added extra comments

posted on Jul, 3 2022 @ 12:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: MichiganSwampBuck

Now, upon first thoughts of the lyrics, it sounds like an alien space traveler leaving his distance home that he can never return to. More or less lost in space and trying to find a new world like his own.

Obviously it goes deeper than that.

I like that, I’m going to add some flesh to that while I listen to it later. I love the lyrics

To me, the Gypsy is definitely a traveler. A traveler within his own mind. Trying desperately to emerge from emptiness, not knowing if he is alive or dead. Deaf, blind, and the verge of insanity. Having a sense of having been in this state for what must have been a long time, and not remembering how it all started. Just pure consciousness, and unfortunately, emotions.

Fear is predominant, fear and cold. Not the physical sensation you and I feel, this cold has no real name. But it’s related to the total loss of hope. No way out, no chance to break free of the void that surrounds him, he contemplates eternity……And screams.

Wait a minute, we could be onto the same thing. What threw me off was when you said Alien. Gypsy could be an Alien floating dead thru intergalactic space. After an epic space battle in which he was the commander of the losing side. Blown from his ship and cast into the void to travel into infinity. No sign of life whatsoever.

You see don’t you. Gypsy is actually a somewhat damaged sentient AI that was placed in the commander’s brain long ago, when he was a recruit. This close to Godlike vessel of knowledge, (by our standards), develops a symbiotic relationship with its host over time, it is is a bond unlike any other. Upon the death of their host, they are programmed to self destruct. Something went horribly wrong, due to the angle of the laser blast that killed the commander. The AI was overheated, the memory, data, and sensor circuits were damaged. leaving only that pure consciousness within a frozen body, to scream thru eternity.

Crap, now I’m not going to be able to go to sleep for a while. I done fried my brain on this one.

As far as low spark, I’m lost. I cannot get past, “The Low Spark of High Healed Boys” WTF is that supposed to mean?
I just listened to it awhile ago. Now I really need a brain massage. Enough for now, take care.

Ps: After previewing this post, I think I must read too much science fiction.

posted on Jul, 3 2022 @ 06:45 AM
link   

I believe that you instinctively hit upon the deeper unintended (or maybe it was intended) psychological meaning. Like someone in coma that can't break out of the dark cold void of their condition to experience the world outside of their mind.

I haven't looked into the song's meaning or it's historical context, but I'm inclined to think that because the song came out in 1969, the same year we first landed people on the moon, that it is based on space travel. Also, the Rolling Stones "2000 light years from Home" came out two years earlier and may have been inspirational for the Moody Blues when they wrote Gypsy.

But like I was pointing out with this thread, songs become classic because of some universal meaning that an audience picks up on. Like the Mona Lisa, it isn't the subject of the portrait that makes it a classic masterpiece, most people concentrate on the meaning of that coy smile for example.

posted on Jul, 3 2022 @ 06:54 AM
link   
Here is some analysis of Low Spark I found. Everyone is trying to figure that one out it seems.

Traffic drummer Jim Capaldi started writing this song in Morocco, where he was getting ready to make a movie called Nevertheless with actor Michael J. Pollard. The film project fell through, but did lead to one of Traffic's best-known songs. Said Capaldi: "Pollard and I would sit around writing lyrics all day, talking about Bob Dylan and the Band, thinking up ridiculous plots for the movie. Before I left Morocco, Pollard wrote in my book 'The Low Spark of High Heeled Boys.' For me, it summed him up. He had this tremendous rebel attitude. He walked around in his cowboy boots, his leather jacket. At the time he was a heavy little dude. It seemed to sum up all the people of that generation who were just rebels. The 'Low Spark,' for me, was the spirit, high-spirited. You know, standing on a street corner. The low rider. The 'Low Spark' meaning that strong undercurrent at the street level."

I like Michael J Pollard, he was in tons of movies. That was one I never heard before. Then there are two others that are excepted as strong possibilities . . .

The song is about drug culture and the relationships between users and suppliers. Low spark is injection, and high heeled boy is speedball, a mixture of coc aine and heroin. The first verse is about shooting up. The second verse is about a dealer that got overdosed. The man in the suit making profits on the dreams of his customers is the dealer. The third verse waxes philosophical and asks what you would do in a life and death situation, and if you haven’t been in a life and death situation, assures you that one day you will be, if not already. That what bothers you is that you know you are already in a life and death situation.

Okay…it’s a drug culture song. Good to know. But, I’ve heard there’s another explanation. I found this one:

It could be, about their agents. Low Spark refers to the low creativity of their High Heeled Boys who profit from the songwriter’s and musician’s dreams, their muse, while the artists live way too high and beyond all their means.

Hmmm….this makes sense, too. Musicians have always had issues with record label executives who cheat artists out of residuals and managers who steal their money. This wouldn’t be the first time a situation like this would be captured in a song.

Link isn't working, but this article is at www.chicagonow.com...
edit on 3-7-2022 by MichiganSwampBuck because: Corrections

posted on Jul, 3 2022 @ 12:55 PM
link   

Truly wonderful how the human brain tries to explain the world around it. Music that is well done elicits emotion and wonder. Thank you for your OP. I look forward to future discussions with you.

edit on CDT2022p2022-07-03T12:58:19-05:00Sun, 03 Jul 2022 12:58:19 -0500pmf31 by Topcraft because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 3 2022 @ 03:24 PM
link   

You're welcome and thank you as well. I look forward to our future discussions as well.

top topics

join