It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How come today's generation can't handle the 'feedback' culture anymore since 2016ish?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 23 2022 @ 02:48 AM
link   
Not sure where this belongs since it is a general topic:

Be it fanfiction,youtube,etc they just lose their crap.

When it's obvious they are not getting what they seek and you point out a few simple mistakes that are easily fixable without ruining what work they did or make it be something it isn't they will shadow ban you or block you somehow and be snarky about it instead. Be it fan projects or videos,fanfiction,et. The 'Feedback' culture has vanished.
edit on 23-6-2022 by SortingHat because: (no reason given)

edit on 23-6-2022 by SortingHat because: Not sure where this belongs

posted on Jun, 23 2022 @ 04:34 AM
link   
a reply to: SortingHat

expect some feedback

posted on Jun, 23 2022 @ 05:55 AM
link   
They're offended that you disagree.

The no child left behind generation has kids of their own now. Adults with children grew up getting awards for participating....

They've literally never lost any competition, failed any test, etc... No matter how much they should have.

posted on Jun, 23 2022 @ 06:08 AM
link   
I'd say few reasons.

1) Society has taught this generation to be self empowered to a higher degree than any that came before it. (A good thing).

2) Online spaces are filled with just as many trolls as there are those giving constructive criticism; probably more. Also not many people know how to provide constructive criticism in a positive manner; they think they are, but what they are really doing is being judgemental.

3) technology has advanced to allow things like shadow ban you or block you; that was not available in the early days of the internet or of course cannot be done in real life.

posted on Jun, 23 2022 @ 08:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: lordcomac
They're offended that you disagree.

The no child left behind generation has kids of their own now. Adults with children grew up getting awards for participating....

They've literally never lost any competition, failed any test, etc... No matter how much they should have.

Yep, this right here.

Participation trophies, coupled with the need for validation, and the inability to deal with condemnation. Being told you are wrong, and having to deal with the fact that may be correct would end some of the most fragile, and sadly, the numbers of the "most fragile" aren't a small portion.

posted on Jun, 23 2022 @ 08:23 AM
link   
Because internet (social media) culture has created a systemic virus called "validation" and people today are complicent in helping this virus spread. They all want their "validation" from all walks of life and will never be told that they could be wrong.

From consequences of their actions, to receiving negative feedback for posting ridiculous claims, some people today can't seem to handle any criticism. Especially online.

Their echo chambers served them well for the last decade.

God forbid they are held accountable.

posted on Jun, 23 2022 @ 09:46 AM
link   

I have a friend who's fifteen years younger than myself (I'm 37, he's 22), and I'm trying to coach him through a difficult season in his life where he ended up homeless yet still had to hold a job down while trying to find new accommodation, his employer got ticked off with him for some complaints he made (he is very naive, and very outspoken).

Try as I might, it's torture trying to get him to understand that even if he isn't happy at work, he needs to keep his mouth shut & keep his head down, working through each day until he can find himself another job. Today I find out he's levied a formal complaint to HR because of "the way I'm being treated".

Yes, the company appears to be trying to generate a constructive dismissal - but for God's sake don't give them ammunition! I found out about it just in time to give him some last minute advice before his meeting, he's just sent me the recording of the meeting, I hardly dare listen to it, he's the definition of an angry snowflake!

posted on Jun, 23 2022 @ 01:34 PM
link   

Probably has nothing at all to do with how you gave your feedback, or whether it was solicited or not. Definitely because an entire generation of people are too "sensitive" to your opinions.

posted on Jun, 23 2022 @ 02:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: sputniksteve

Probably has nothing at all to do with how you gave your feedback, or whether it was solicited or not. Definitely because an entire generation of people are too "sensitive" to your opinions.

you have a facebook account. You show some event you were involved in. 230 random strangers give you a thumbs up and agree you are wonderful. One random stranger/troll says you are a monster. Whom do you reply to?

Now perhaps you are much more mature than most, and you would just ignore the troll. But the larger group would become agitated, sad, angry and question their own actions based on that one troll. This is reality, if you doubt me, try it. Be that troll.

posted on Jun, 23 2022 @ 03:14 PM
link   
Damn. Where were all those participation trophies and summers free of summer school?

-A millennial

posted on Jun, 23 2022 @ 05:38 PM
link   
a reply to: sputniksteve

Even if your the most unbiased person they find someway to pick your words apart and block you if you don't ooze praise out of your mouth.

posted on Jun, 23 2022 @ 05:39 PM
link   
a reply to: network dude

Except often times it may not be a monster but someone asking more detailed questions or politely pointing out major flaws that you may not see cause you have a phone screen that makes things cropped. That 'monster' may be on a computer so he see's more detail then you do.

posted on Jun, 23 2022 @ 05:41 PM
link   
a reply to: havok

I gave up giving constructive suggestions on FF or anywhere that has entertainment works now as used to be authors would WANT to get better at the activity they enjoy but now they are happy if all they get is karma and likes regardless of quality of their work. They think I'm out to destroy their story but truth be told I don't give a flying f'k about the character's relationships I just want the story to be representable.

posted on Jun, 23 2022 @ 05:42 PM
link   
a reply to: Terpene

To be honest when I said this on Reddit or anywhere else I got maybe one reply at best that has little to do with what I posted so I expected this to be ate by the cyber monster.

posted on Jun, 23 2022 @ 05:43 PM
link   
a reply to: lordcomac

I'm shocked Bush did that as when he first started he was for the average Americans and did some of the right things that went flying in the face of the communist thinking people which made them mad as a hornet at him. Then more and more he caved in doing it in a sideways way.

edit on 23-6-2022 by SortingHat because: Everything is sideways now

posted on Jun, 23 2022 @ 05:44 PM
link   
a reply to: DreamtimeMICHAEL

What were the complaints? Were they reasonable or really weird off the wall ones?

posted on Jun, 23 2022 @ 05:46 PM
link   
a reply to: network dude

It depends on what you say. Were you the one that said 'GO JUMP OFF A BRIDGE AND DIE YOU BIG LIBERAL MEENIE?' as that WOULD get you rightfully banned or did you politely suggest a simple way to fix something and tried to be as unbiased as you could given the nature of the problem?

posted on Jun, 23 2022 @ 06:19 PM
link   
a reply to: havok

Reminds me of the Dufflepods or whatever they were called in the 3rd Narnia book. They all had 'group think' and couldn't get things done without the group agreeing. The movie version screwed them up horribly and edited out a lot of critical key points.

posted on Jun, 24 2022 @ 06:00 AM
link   
Participation medals?
that's my guess.

The molly-coddled generation is rearing their young 'adult' heads.

They never realised the real world is what it is.

posted on Jun, 24 2022 @ 06:12 AM
link   
Reminder

TGIF

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join