It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Windows 10 KB5014699 The Update from Hell ...Now more Hell with KB5015807

page: 6
<< 3  4  5   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 18 2022 @ 03:50 AM
link   
a reply to: DontTreadOnMe

Ok, what about turning off your wifi and then restarting your PC?

My thinking is that by doing this, Windows won't be able to connect to launch the updater. At this point I'm not sure if the moment you reconnect to the internet, the update process will start by itself.

If it doesn't then you can work as normal and then, just before bedtime, manually run the update process.

Unfortunately, the only machine with Windows 10 is my work laptop and updates are deployed by our IT Dept., so I can't test the theory. It would be good if Compendium or Gothmog could chime in with their experiences. Without getting my hands on the PC, I'm running out of theoretical ideas.

posted on Jul, 18 2022 @ 08:35 AM
link   

Here's another website that guides you to trying different remedies for this failed update.

Some things we've already discussed with the original update, but there are some extra tips which I hadn't thought of straight away, but make sense. Like, disconnecting all your peripheral stuff... printers, external drives, etc., and changing your DNS settings, etc. It's a case of trial, error and a lot of patience.

windows101tricks.com...

posted on Jul, 19 2022 @ 10:04 PM
link   
a reply to: Encia22

This updating problem has been going on---off and on---for a couple of years now.

We've run scannow and various other troubleshooter/fixing attempts.
It just seems to be getting worse.
Been told it's likely a bad hard drive.

posted on Jul, 20 2022 @ 02:36 PM
link   

A faulty hard drive can surely cause all sorts of problems, including loss of your personal data.

The scannow utility only checks system files.

Have you run chkdsk (check disk) and defrag (defragmentation) to see what's going on with the drive?

If not, here's how -- CHKDSK

Also, I forget, do you have a tradition hard drive or solid state (SSD)?

posted on Jul, 20 2022 @ 03:05 PM
link   
a reply to: Encia22

I don't remember, but I don't think we've done chkdsk.
And defrag? no, that I am sure of.

Thanks for the link.

Will try before we do a HHD switch.

And, it is HHD rather than SSD.

posted on Oct, 11 2023 @ 03:04 PM
link   
Thanks for sharing your experience with the Windows 10 update. It's frustrating when these things happen, and I appreciate you pointing out those threads where others are discussing similar issues.

posted on Oct, 16 2023 @ 04:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: FelicityWright
Thanks for sharing your experience with the Windows 10 update. It's frustrating when these things happen, and I appreciate you pointing out those threads where others are discussing similar issues.

Regarding pausing updates, you can go to "Settings" > "Update & Security" > "Windows Update" > "Advanced options" to control how updates are delivered. Sometimes, waiting for Windows to fix the update is the best approach.
If you ever need windows keys or have Windows-related questions, there's a helpful Reddit sub for windows keys where you might find some useful insights.

top topics

<< 3  4  5   >>

join