It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Space X Rocket Re-entry Questions

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 21 2022 @ 09:26 AM
link   
I have a few questions I could not find on the internet that I hope some of you could help me with. What I'd really like is a description or diagram that can show me the speeds and altitude in increments from entry into the atmosphere all the way to the ground.

I'm having a debate with someone on another site that posted a video of him standing on the ground showing two space x rockets landing. He claims the two explosion noises he hear were sonic booms. I told him the rockets had likely reached terminal velocity long before he even started the video and the sound he heard was the rocket engines re igniting as seen in the video.

If it were sonic booms they would have been milliseconds apart but the bang sounds intervals were right in line with the visual of the rockets lighting up one then the other.

I'll try and find the video and post it here give me a minute.

Here's the video. It appears he turned off comments lol.

edit on 6/21/2022 by Alien Abduct because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 21 2022 @ 09:29 AM
link   
a reply to: Alien Abduct

From last week's launch:

www.msn.com...

posted on Jun, 21 2022 @ 09:48 AM
link   
I’d say it’s the sonic booms from the ignition phase of the rockets. The gasses coming out plus the speed of the rockets in the decent are way faster than the speed of sound. The loud racket is the sonic boom sounding continuously. I may be totally wrong as I’m not a rocket scientist, only stayed at the Holiday inn once.

Do those have turbo pumps? Or solid rocket motors?

posted on Jun, 21 2022 @ 10:24 AM
link   

Do those have turbo pumps? Or solid rocket motors?

I concur and Ive stayed at Holiday Inn multiple times.

The sound appears to be associated with the engine burn, as the rockets were already slowing.

Interesting answers here however..

www.eclipseaviation.com...

Why Does A Rocket Not Have A Sonic Boom?
Observations record the sound of an object, which is moving at supersonic speed, rocking and rocking when releasing shock waves at supersonic speeds. Due to the high altitude of the rocket and the change in altitude, this won’t happen.

Do Rockets Cause A Sonic Boom?
The sonic boom happens when one cubic meter per second exceeds the sound level. As a missile launches, only the exhaust of the rocket results in supersonic sound, so for the entire flight, the only thing that emits supersonic sound is the exhaust of a rocket.

edit on 21-6-2022 by putnam6 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 21 2022 @ 10:40 AM
link   
You guys might be better of staying at Holiday Inn Express next time. Never been there myself but you can watch the speedometer as they fall.

spaceflightnow.com...

edit on 0642kAmerica/ChicagoTuesdayTuesday by mikell because: (no reason given)

edit on 0642kAmerica/ChicagoTuesdayTuesday by mikell because: (no reason given)

edit on 0643kAmerica/ChicagoTuesdayTuesday by mikell because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 21 2022 @ 10:52 AM
link   
a reply to: mikell

Many, many articles about the boosters landing and sonic booms from them. Google "spacex booster landing sound barrier"

From FOX:

the booster landing could be seen coming down for landing along Florida's east coast. As the booster breaks the sound barrier, a shock wave moves outward in the form of a sonic boom. People could hear the thunderous sound as far inland as Orlando.

posted on Jun, 21 2022 @ 06:04 PM
link   
a reply to: putnam6

This is what I was thinking. The rocket only makes a sonic boom if the engine is fired making sound. Otherwise there is no "sonic" to make the boom. And being that those rockets were obviously slowed down to less than 750mph they didn't make a sonic boom when they fired. The sound heard in the video is from only the rockets igniting.

I may be wrong, but I don't think so.

posted on Jun, 21 2022 @ 07:43 PM
link   

Expansion of the rocket fuel gases would generate a sonic boom? Like a firework, that bang you hear isn't the rocket displacing air, it's the ignition and explosion of said gases causing a pressure wave.

edit on 21/6/22 by Grenade because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 21 2022 @ 09:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: Grenade

Expansion of the rocket fuel gases would generate a sonic boom? Like a firework, that bang you hear isn't the rocket displacing air, it's the ignition and explosion of said gases causing a pressure wave.

No no maybe I worded it wrong. What I meant to say is that a falling rocket that isn't ignited isn't making any sound, it's just falling. Therefore it doesn't make a sonic boom. Only when the engine is running and making sound AND the rocket is traveling faster than sound will a sonic boom be made.

I agree with you here and this is what I'm trying to argue on another platform with some dude. He thinks the sound you hear in the video in the OP is two sonic booms.

posted on Jun, 22 2022 @ 11:00 PM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on Jun, 23 2022 @ 04:14 AM
link   
The sonic booms from each rocket come from the engine, also the stabilizer fin.

posted on Jun, 23 2022 @ 09:12 AM
link   
Your friend is right. The booms are sonic booms from when the booster was still super sonic, it just so happens that the boom hits the ground about the same time as the rocket does. I really would have to dig for the link but this is included in SpaceX's environmental impact study with diagrams showing where you can here the sonic boom. These booms are only heard to RTL(return to launch) booster recoveries, which are now rare.

Another interesting fact is easterly trajectory launches create a sonic boom too but the rocket is too far offshore to be heard on land in Florida. Now that SpaceX does polar launches (due south trajectory) an additional sonic boom can be heard by the rocket from about Sebastian, Fl to Fort Pierce.

Droneship recoveries also have a sonic boom that can only be heard out to say...with the exception being sometimes the Bahamas is in the 'window' on a Southeast trajectory, and in theory parts Cuba could hear a sonic boom with a droneship recovery on a polar launch if its close enough to shore are the atmospheric conditions are ideal for it.

posted on Jun, 23 2022 @ 09:14 AM
link   

When any object goes supersonic it creates a 'shockwave' aka a sonic boom. The Space Shuttle glided to the runway under no propulsion, yet still had the iconic double sonic boom announcing her arrival a few minutes before touchdown.

posted on Jun, 23 2022 @ 12:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: jrod

When any object goes supersonic it creates a 'shockwave' aka a sonic boom. The Space Shuttle glided to the runway under no propulsion, yet still had the iconic double sonic boom announcing her arrival a few minutes before touchdown.

This isn't true, if the rocket isn't making any noise with the engines on it wouldn't make a sonic boom.

source

posted on Jun, 23 2022 @ 01:31 PM
link   

A sonic boom has nothing to do with the rocket "making noise". It's created by the vehicle itself breaking the sound barrier. You don't get as big a sonic boom with a rocket due to altitude, and the fact that the vehicle is relatively small. The footprint of a sonic boom is relative to the vehicle area, so an aircraft leaving a sonic boom will have a much larger footprint than a Falcon 9 coming back down.

This video shows a Falcon 9 freefalling, and you hear a double sonic boom before the engine reignites.

www.space.com...

You don't need engines firing to have a sonic boom, as we saw with the space shuttle on reentry. With the Falcon 9, you're only hearing the sonic boom at the end of flight, so it appears that it only happens when the engines ignite. The higher altitude sonic booms don't reach the ground because they aren't large enough to.

posted on Jun, 23 2022 @ 03:56 PM
link   

The sounds in the OP video are sonic booms. The camera is several miles from the landing site, so it takes a few seconds for the sound to reach the camera. During that time, the engines reignite, making it appear that the sound is caused by the engines igniting.

posted on Jun, 23 2022 @ 06:38 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

Well I'm wrong. Thanks for chiming in Zaphod!😁

posted on Jun, 30 2022 @ 08:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: jrod

Exactly, the supersonic glider made distinctly audible sonic booms at the landing site.

new topics

top topics

join