It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

My smallest drone that records HD video

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 13 2022 @ 06:21 AM
link   
Hey all!

I've been working on a small drone, (sub 250 grams) that could record stabilized HD video. The big push here is the sub 250gr weight. By staying under that, the FAA regulations that normally would be applied to hobbyist, don't. Which means if remote ID ever goes live in the hobby world, this drone would be an exception.

Without a battery it sits around 170 grams. Inherently, due to its size.. being so small. Its harder to get "smooth" video. That's where the RunCam Thumb comes in. Its an HD camera that only weighs 9.8 grams. Its powered off the same battery that the drone is. So no added weight by adding additional battery's.

Here is the video (keep in mind, this is all being recorded by something the size of an orange) enoy! :

posted on Jun, 13 2022 @ 09:22 AM
link   
a reply to: Triton1128

I'm not going to begin to ask the cost.. but I can say it's already superior to the two DJI Mini 2's and the phantom I have. I was able to play at 1440 nicely.

I'll probably never get this technical and good. But I do enjoy watching videos like these.

Thanks for sharing as always.

edit on 13-6-2022 by Bigburgh because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 13 2022 @ 09:37 AM
link   

Should look at getting a whoop if you're interested in tiny drones. I don't think too much of the camera quality though, but there are people who competitively race through obstacle courses, and they're around 38g without battery.

But if it's more for the quality of the fly, your video looked great to me!!

posted on Jun, 13 2022 @ 09:39 AM
link   
a reply to: Bigburgh

I have a dj mini (first edition) that if I don't put blade protectors on, comes just under 500g, which is legal for recreation, where I live. Bad thing is, it's illegal to fly anywhere here.... gutted. Can't even fly it at a beach, if there is even 1 person there. And we don't have vast expanses of woodland or fields... shame, I got it cheap, too. Always wanted a drone, soon as I get one, they're all over the news so tptb legislate where and when.. bastages...

posted on Jun, 13 2022 @ 11:24 AM
link   

Cost actually isn't too bad, since I do the build myself. Under 300$ US (the drone) including the tiny RunCam Thumb HD I used to record the video. Probably 2 hours to physically solder / build . Then another hour or so flying / tuning and you're good. A fun weekend project!

posted on Jun, 13 2022 @ 11:26 AM
link   
a reply to: jerich0

Sorry to hear this. I knew they were strict in Australia, but some of the best beach footage of drones come from down around Brisbane on up along the coast. Great vids of surfers while sharks are swimming.

This gentleman is active with DJI drone tech. He's well versed on the rules down under.
youtu.be...

He also reviews other tech as well. He assisted me on some Mini 2 issues I had

edit on 13-6-2022 by Bigburgh because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 13 2022 @ 11:28 AM
link   
a reply to: jerich0

I actually have a handful of custom built drones. I have two that are very small. Under 100g. All the way up to my GPS equipped Titan DC7. Which is a drone that swings 7" props. It's built for long range cinematic flying.

posted on Jun, 13 2022 @ 11:38 AM
link   

Holy cow, that's half the cost one of my Mini 2. If could muster the patience to build one, I believe this is the way to go.

I was up at a big hobby store the other day looking to get started on a build. Unfortunately they nore other RC Hobby shops in the area have any such supplies. I can order online, but really wanted to see first hand what I was dealing with. They said it's not popular enough yet to have handy. They don't even carry boxer out the door DJI, EVO's or anything. But a "special" orders $$$$ they can help.

posted on Jun, 13 2022 @ 11:39 AM
link   

Yea.... please post a pic of THAT!🤣

posted on Jun, 13 2022 @ 12:58 PM
link   
Added to my bookmarks for watching later

How fast is the Titan? Maybe I asked this once, not sure for this drone.

posted on Jun, 13 2022 @ 01:23 PM
link   
a reply to: TDDAgain

The TitanDC7,

Before I dialed back the throttle. The GPS indicated 120mph (193kmh). It pulled a crazy amount of current as well. The current indicator logged 170A @ 25v (4200W) during full throttle. I have it dialed back to roughly 90mph at full throttle now. Lowered the current pull to 124A. Less chance of something catastrophic happening!

I like that I can keep it at roughly 40% throttle and it can maintain 50-55mph and keep me in the air for 15min. I can go pretty far at that speed for that long.

posted on Jun, 13 2022 @ 01:26 PM
link   

Keep in mind that's just the drone. I buy the individual parts and solder / configure / tune myself. You can get pre-builts. But the cost is roughly 2x the material cost.

Radio / Goggles / Battery's - You're looking at another 1k Investment. Just to operate it. But those are one time buys. I have 7 drones all binded to the same radio.
edit on 13-6-2022 by Triton1128 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join