It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Impending Food Shortages and now the US government is closing down farms due to PFAS contamination

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 7 2022 @ 06:40 PM
link   
We have all been warned about the impending food shortages. I was a little irked earlier this year when the US government wouldn’t permit farmers to use the fields that were being set aside as part of the Environmental Quality Incentive Program (EQIP) or the Conservation Reserve Program (CRP) to plant additional crops this year. It looks like the government made a few exceptions to free up a bit of farmland…but it was after planting season for many crops. (Refer to article at bottom)

A bigger concern is the millions of acres of farmland that are currently at risk for being completely taken out of use because the land is contaminated by Polyfluoroalkyl substances, or PFAS. Evidently farmers have been using sewer sludge for fertilizer (sounds like it was a pretty common practice for years dating back to the 1990s). PFAS make their way from factories to farmlands through sewage sludge recycled as fertilizer, contaminating the food reaching people’s plates. In New Mexico the PFAS contamination was linked to a military base. The fire suppressant foam used at the base contaminated surrounding farms.

I don’t know how this “crisis” was just identified by the US government….but it seems like the USA food supply is getting hit from multiple directions.

13wham.com...

www.iatp.org...

www.mainepublic.org... mily

www.longisland-ny.com...

www.dtnpf.com...

www.fsa.usda.gov... t

edit on 7-6-2022 by Buvvy because: Adding reference article

edit on 7-6-2022 by Buvvy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 7 2022 @ 07:08 PM
link   
Intentional.

There's no other way to see it!

They've destroyed our economy, destroyed what little we had left for jobs...
destroyed our energy independence to the point that it will take many years to recover
created a crisis where we can't import the things we need (because they made sure we can't make them here!)
and now they're systematically destroying the FOOD.

15% ethanol in the fuel- to make sure what fuel we DO have sucks, plus it's going to waste more FOOD.
Oh yeah- and they'll be burning other natural resources to process that food into ethanol... just all around fail.

posted on Jun, 7 2022 @ 07:16 PM
link   
a reply to: lordcomac

Welcome to the Liberal Utopia. Everything will be ok because they think they are so smart!

edit on 7-6-2022 by MRinder because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 7 2022 @ 07:26 PM
link   
So, are the government issued insect bars free of this chemical or are they coincidentally fireproofed?

Just asking.

You all know they make the food in the back of the store. Or so I am told by some idiots.

posted on Jun, 7 2022 @ 08:39 PM
link   
here is a question i have no one is asking

"sewage sludge" that is/was used as fertilizer was "treated" and determined safe by the government environmental agencies right?

thus GOVERNMENT APPROVED SAFE for such applications.

i remember more than a few news stories and "episodes" showing this.

so why now suddenly is it "dangerous" and "contaminating" our food?

should not someone be asking how these agencies are saying what was "safe" is now "dangerous"?

especially given the "fire fighting foam" that has been around since well before the 90s (the current boogyman ) got by all their "environmentally safe" checks ?

im sorry but as others stated something stinks and it aint the sludge

scrounger

posted on Jun, 7 2022 @ 11:22 PM
link   
Meh, whatever.

The U.S. could stand going on a diet.

posted on Jun, 8 2022 @ 12:00 AM
link   
a reply to: Buvvy
Most of your links will not open for me.

I guess that they were just saving this to throw out when it was most convenient. We've known about this problem for some years. I would prefer not to eat food that is contaminated with this stuff, but I feel this is not a good time to make it more difficult for people to afford food.

Here's a good journal article from 2018 which was a review of all of the previous studies.
Accumulation of perfluorinated alkyl substances (PFAS) in agricultural plants: A review

edit on 8 6 2022 by tamusan because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 8 2022 @ 01:17 AM
link   
I apologize for the broken links…hopefully a moderator can help me to them fixed. This article is worth reading.

Article Title “USDA to Allow Producers to Request Voluntary Termination of Conservation Reserve Program Contract”

“WASHINGTON, May 26, 2022 – The U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) will allow Conservation Reserve Program (CRP) participants who are in the final year of their CRP contract to request voluntary termination of their CRP contract following the end of the primary nesting season for fiscal year 2022. Participants approved for this one-time, voluntary termination will not have to repay rental payments, a flexibility implemented this year to help mitigate the global food supply challenges caused by the Russian invasion of Ukraine and other factors. Today, USDA also announced additional flexibilities for the Environmental Quality Incentives Program (EQIP) and Conservation Stewardship Program (CSP).”

The government is also encouraging farmers to grow organic crops. If we are going into a period of food shortage organic crops aren’t going to have high enough yields to make up for the shortages.

a reply to: tamusan

edit on 8-6-2022 by Buvvy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 8 2022 @ 02:13 AM
link   
a reply to: Buvvy

I sure am glad that my uncle gets food stamps because he lives off of a small veteran disability.

I work full time for $2 more than minimum wage in my state so I wouldn't be eligible.

Even if I was making minimum, I still wouldn't be eligible because im a male with no kids and full time.

But, apartments require me to make 3 times as much as rent in order to get one, which would be an entire third paycheck per month. Alas, there's only 4 weeks in a month.

I guess I'd be homeless AND paying for all of my groceries. Despite this, I digress. Any help for people like myself is liberal BS; taxpayers shouldn't have to chip in a fraction of a single percent to help anyone. I should get a better job, while homeless and paying for my inflated groceries. It's the American way.
edit on CDT02Wed, 08 Jun 2022 02:18:06 -050000000006b2022 by Thrumbo because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 8 2022 @ 06:02 AM
link   
I think this guy sums it up pretty well.

posted on Jun, 8 2022 @ 10:25 AM
link   
And I hear parole say, "Derrr, they wanna start world war three."

We're already in WWII. This is it.

posted on Jun, 8 2022 @ 01:11 PM
link   
Per the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC)….PFAS exposure is linked to cancer, liver damage, DECREASED FERTILITY, and increased risk of asthma and thyroid disease.

Most of the worlds countries are moving toward restricting PFAS production.

It is in nonstick pans, inside microwave popcorn bags…it is everywhere. No way to remove it from the human body.

a reply to: scrounger

posted on Jun, 19 2022 @ 08:02 AM
link   

originally posted by: Buvvy
a reply to: scrounger
Per the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC)….PFAS exposure is linked to cancer, liver damage, DECREASED FERTILITY, and increased risk of asthma and thyroid disease.

Most of the worlds countries are moving toward restricting PFAS production.

It is in nonstick pans, inside microwave popcorn bags…it is everywhere. No way to remove it from the human body.

The problem is, whatever they replace it with will later be found to be 10 times worse.

We need to get back to real food bought from local farmers who use ancient farming practices (allowing the land to lie fallow, etc), and use stainless steel - or better, cast iron - for cooking, and glass for storage.

top topics

join