It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

After you fast, you realize how bad our food is

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 2 2022 @ 03:06 PM
link   
a reply to: JAGStorm

Rye bread is pretty cool, a friend of mine has a sourdough that is over a hundred years old, you just keep a piece in the fridge or in the freezer as a starter dough, and use that to build up a fresh batch, pretty good for the immune system too, all kind of weird stuff start to happen with this kind of baking.

posted on Jun, 2 2022 @ 04:00 PM
link   

My wife is British, and the amount of sweet things her family eats is unreal. Especially chocolate and cake type stuff.
I made her realize how much of a sweet tooth her family had and she had no idea because it was a cultural thing really.

And yes, American chocolate and candy isn't that great. Give me some British chocolate and some Turkish delight if I want to go on a insulin trip.

posted on Jun, 2 2022 @ 04:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: JAGStorm
I’m a very good cook, I’d say well above average. One weakness that I have is bread making. I never really had much of an interest in it. After this week, there is no way I can go back to eating regular bread. Any advice from the seasoned bread makers out there is appreciated.

I'll see if I can get my wife to do a write up on her homemade sour dough bread... she took a looong time perfecting it, and apparently it is fantastic. I wouldn't know, since I don't eat bread (or carbs of any kind).

Also, if you’ve never done a fast, it might be eye opening. It really clears your palate.

Fasting is one of the most powerful healing modalities there is, bar none. I've done a lot of fasting, longest was a 33 day water fast, but I broke it in the worst way possible (ugh, I was miserable for days).

That said, if you were eating crackers - anything with any calories to speak of - then you weren't exactly fasting, just engaging in extreme caloric restriction - also beneficial, but not as powerful as fasting.

I'm now learning about and getting ready to implement a series of special fasts that also incorporate 2 or 3 days of DRY fasting (no food and no water) - not to be attempted lightly, but not as dangerous as some would believe. The myth that we cannot survive for more than 3 days without water is just that - a myth. There are lots of groups out there that are regularly doing 3, 5, 7 and even eleven - yes ELEVEN - day dry fasts - but please, don't be stupid and go out and try a 5 day dry fast just cause you read about it on the interwebs...
edit on 2-6-2022 by tanstaafl because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 2 2022 @ 04:12 PM
link   
a reply to: strongfp

Turkish delight if I want to go on a insulin trip.

Rose flavored Turkish delight is my guilty indulgence.
I don't get it very often but when I do, I totally know what you mean by insulin trip! lol
I love the orange flavored one too.

posted on Jun, 2 2022 @ 04:15 PM
link   
a reply to: AutomateThis1v2

Most food you buy in the store now isn't real. It's mostly multiple forms of preservstives and sweeteners

My diet is 1/2 Asian and 1/2 American.
I purchased a familar brand of rice from Costco. It was horrible. I'm convinced that it wasn't all rice. I had heard about rice substitued with plastics and other things, and I believe it. I got my normal rice from Hmart and it was back to normal. When you eat something your whole life, you can instantly tell when something is off.

I also know what you are saying about food not being real. I shudder when I walk down the cereal aisle. What the heck is that stuff these days?

posted on Jun, 2 2022 @ 04:17 PM
link   

I really love making bread. Before I retired I was the baker for the kitchen at our local college. I was responsible for keeping us supplied with all the bread we used as well as weekly pizza dough.

It was lovely having a commercial kitchen to work in with a large convection oven and huge mixers.

I highly recommend that you always use bread flour instead of all purpose. It makes the bread have a wonderfully soft but slightly chewy texture.

I don't like to put the dry yeast in with the other ingredients even though a lot of recipes say to. I ALWAYS proof it first in warm water. That way I know it's good and it's going to work. And I always use way more yeast than necessary. The reason being that the more yeast you use the faster the bread will rise. Buy your yeast in bulk instead of those silly little packets. Its less expensive and it won't matter so much if you use extra.

Be sure and knead the dough long enough. I do it by hand at home now and a good rule is to knead it 300 times. Kneading it that much will make it rise very nicely and you will likely get a good amount of oven spring.

I hope you will really enjoy your bread making and you may also want to try branching out into other yeasty things such as doughnuts, cinnamon rolls, dinner rolls or pizza dough. It's so fun and I would actually say the process is almost magical!

posted on Jun, 2 2022 @ 05:25 PM
link   

Most food you buy in the store now isn't real. It's mostly multiple forms of preservstives and sweeteners

I purchased a familar brand of rice from Costco. It was horrible. I'm convinced that it wasn't all rice. I had heard about rice substitued with plastics and other things, and I believe it. I got my normal rice from Hmart and it was back to normal. When you eat something your whole life, you can instantly tell when something is off.

I also know what you are saying about food not being real. I shudder when I walk down the cereal aisle. What the heck is that stuff these days?

I don't know how people are okay with being fed trash byproducts. That's really what they're selling us. Then they add in all the sweeteners, flavours, and colours to make it desirable.

It wouldn't surprise me if there were shady practices going on like plastic or otherwise fake rice being added to actual rice to increase the weight for higher profits

Only thing I know to do that is proven in my book is boil some of the rice and then leave it outside somewhere and see if mold grows on it.

Other than that plastic is a real major gripe of mine. It's so wasteful, toxic, and creates more trash than is needed.

The amount of waste I create is way less than anyone I know. My trashcan fills up only like once a month at most, and when it does fill up it's from packaging materials, cardboard and plastic. Which is rare. I usually buy quality things second hand or make them myself.

posted on Jun, 2 2022 @ 07:23 PM
link   

For me the vegetable oil is the worst. It's not natural.

posted on Jun, 2 2022 @ 07:52 PM
link   

I fell in love with rice when I was stationed in Japan for two years when I was in the Navy. I would go off base a lot because I loved the food and culture. I ate mostly rice and vegetables, along with fish. At the time, Japanese food didn’t have preservatives or any crap. I ate pretty healthy over there. Along with long walks I enjoyed taking off base, I dropped about 20 pounds, and was in great shape. I even climbed Mt. Fuji. It was such a culture shock being back stateside and the crappy food again.

posted on Jun, 2 2022 @ 11:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: ChiefD

I fell in love with rice when I was stationed in Japan for two years when I was in the Navy. I would go off base a lot because I loved the food and culture. I ate mostly rice and vegetables, along with fish. At the time, Japanese food didn’t have preservatives or any crap. I ate pretty healthy over there. Along with long walks I enjoyed taking off base, I dropped about 20 pounds, and was in great shape. I even climbed Mt. Fuji. It was such a culture shock being back stateside and the crappy food again.

It's readily apparent when all you have to do is go outside and see how many fat people there are. It's sad seeing fat kids. It's sad seeing them grow up and stay eating crap food and staying fat. It's angering to see them giving birth to fat babies and continuing the cycle of feeding them garbage and them wanting people to believe that being fat is healthy.

My state has two of the fattest cities in the country according to statistics, and it's not just those two cities.

I may end up having to move if I want to have higher chance of finding someone who actually eats healthy and takes care of themselves.

posted on Jun, 3 2022 @ 06:28 PM
link   
Works every time.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join