It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

DEF Fluid Shortage Means Trucks Won't Run-Is this by Design?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 25 2022 @ 12:25 PM
link   
a reply to: JIMC5499

The DEF portion of the system works well, but the DPF filters are for nothing more than bilking us out of thousands of dollars in repairs. Getting both filters and the housing replaced runs somewhere around $4,000 and takes over a day to complete because they have to cool the system down to stone cold. You could remove those, and leave the DEF, and the system would do exactly the same thing that it does with the filters in place.

posted on May, 25 2022 @ 03:03 PM
link   
Yo Blackrock people! pay attention supposedly conspiracy theorist! reply to: sirlancelot

posted on May, 25 2022 @ 04:44 PM
link   
a reply to: sirlancelot

Time to get a new government that represents the people . Then we can have whatever we need . The government quit representing Americans years ago. Our government only supports the Richest foreign globalists , we need new representation

posted on May, 25 2022 @ 07:46 PM
link   
Staff removal.
edit on 5/25/2022 by seagull because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 25 2022 @ 07:54 PM
link   
Diesel exhaust fluid might as well be muffler bearings-
The government requires it though.

When times get hard enough, it will go away.

posted on May, 25 2022 @ 10:53 PM
link   
So much of that is incorrect.
DEF won't prevent a diesel engine from starting.
It does not mix with diesel fuel, it is injected into the exhaust stream intermittently where the high temperature converts the urea to ammonia, which makes the exhaust catalyst react to NOX emissions.
The more modern trucks when sensing an empty DEF tank will drastically limit the speed of the truck but not shut it off.
There are ways around this.
I know my comment has nothing to do with a shortage, but when the post has this much incorrect then it's hard to take it seriously.

posted on May, 26 2022 @ 05:50 PM
link   
After having my rig completely shut down on me at -36, leaving me to freeze until the tow rig showed up, I suggest deletion of ALL DEF systems. Half our fleet is now deleted due to safety concerns and costs. You can always put the sensors and junk back in for inspection at CVIP time if your state requires it. Its also another cost for truckers that adds to the consumers costs in the end.

Im sure when the time comes the Govt will allow exceptions and deletion of DEF systems for those willing to pay a fee...

posted on May, 26 2022 @ 06:40 PM
link   
a reply to: vNex92

The more sanctions the better, better to stop russia's territorial ambitions that way than the ww2 way.

posted on Aug, 30 2022 @ 10:09 AM
link   
Our trucks travel on average 500 miles a day and use about 2.5 gallons of DEF a day. a reply to: 38181

posted on Aug, 30 2022 @ 11:35 AM
link   
I watched a news vid this morning looking at EU sanction consequences mainly and how the high gas (actual gas, not American petrol) costs are putting companies out of business.
One of those businesses, as well as being a major fertilizer producer, is also a major AdBlue producer. So, looks like shortages will come eventually.
Two of the engineers I know at work have had their vans crippled by those sensor systems too.

posted on Aug, 30 2022 @ 11:47 AM
link   
a reply to: sirlancelot

they will replace all truckers with AI soon
goodbye truckers and good by trucker strikes

posted on Aug, 30 2022 @ 11:50 AM
link   
a reply to: sapien82

They couldn't even drive a load from Tucson to Phoenix without there being a significant issue with the software. AI trucks aren't going to be taking over anytime soon. Even if they were close to being ready, the infrastructure would require major changes that aren't going to happen fast.

posted on Aug, 30 2022 @ 12:19 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

maybe not now or tomorrow but it will happen
and what then off many industries all controlled

no trucker strikes or worker strikes
when we are all disposable

posted on Aug, 30 2022 @ 12:38 PM
link   
a reply to: sapien82

Not for many many years. The trucking industry especially is very resistant to change. The first electronic logging systems were introduced in the 1990s, and the first phase of the ELD mandate went into effect in 2016.

As for trucker strikes, don’t make me laugh. Truck drivers today wouldn’t strike if they were told they’d all die if they didn’t.
edit on 8/30/2022 by Zaphod58 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 30 2022 @ 09:40 PM
link   
You can save on def by diluting it with distilled water by 20 to 50% in many diesels and going to pure def only when getting smog checked.
I know a number of small diesel trucks that run bio diesel that use even less and still pass emission testing.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join