It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Irreplaceable' fossils dating as far back as 251M years ago stolen from national park in Utah

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 11 2022 @ 04:37 PM
link   
Man, this is sad. WTF are people up to, stealing fossils? I'd bet there's a black market for Beanie Babies let alone for fossils but why? What good is it to have a fossil if it's never been properly analyzed?

"Hey dude, check out my 251 mil old leg bone, ain't it cool"????

news.yahoo.com...

The trace reptile track fossils dating from the Triassic period were removed from a trackway in the park between August 2017 and August 2018, the National Park Service said in a news release Tuesday.

Officials said the fossils are "irreplaceable" and are offering a reward of up to $1,000 for information that leads to the identification and prosecution of whoever is responsible. The U.S. Park Rangers are seeing help from the public.

"Information from other visitors is often very helpful to investigators," the news release states. "If you have information that could help recover the stolen fossils or that could help identify those responsible, the park asks you to please submit a tip."

"Vandalism hurts. Some of the oldest and most extensive reptile tracks in the western United States are found within Capitol Reef National Park," it added. "Fossils preserve the record of life on earth and are exceedingly rare."

The vandalism sucks, some asses recently spray painted Red Rock area here, it's just so damned stupid and wrong. Leave nature the way it was, dammit. I get archaeology doing their thing but stealing and vandalizing and generally being a dick is really sad.

posted on May, 11 2022 @ 04:40 PM
link   
a reply to: TheSpanishArcher

Am I terrible for thinking this should be a capital crime?

posted on May, 11 2022 @ 05:08 PM
link   
Yes, kinda.

You asked.

a reply to: OccamsRazor04

posted on May, 11 2022 @ 05:20 PM
link   

Welcome to new vegas redrock now looks just like the parks in ca ... A back up dump site

We use to go out there to build and maintain the trails it's sad to see what it's become

As for the bones that's theift there's a market for that they will be sold

posted on May, 11 2022 @ 06:00 PM
link   

Nope.

a reply to: markovian

New Vegas? You obviously don't remember the "Old Vegas" where the whole Summerlin area was a dumping ground.

posted on May, 11 2022 @ 06:03 PM
link   
Really crappy it was stolen, but if i’m being honest i’d like to own something like that myself.

To hell with whoever stole it though.

posted on May, 11 2022 @ 06:39 PM
link   
a reply to: Ohanka

I could go with buying something like this, if I were rich, just to have it but only after it's been analyzed and auctioned off or whatever. Stealing it is just being a dick.

I dunno, hard to see it any other way.

posted on May, 11 2022 @ 06:57 PM
link   
Was lol still is the old furniture and mattress springs where far better doubt the piles of plywood would last long now days

posted on May, 11 2022 @ 07:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: TheSpanishArcher
Man, this is sad. WTF are people up to, stealing fossils?

So the fossils were removed "between August 2017 and August 2018"... hmmm

wonder why they feel the need to write an article about this almost 4 1/2 years later?

How long does it take to clone something?

Did I ever mention the dream I had a few times where dinosaurs were actually running around in present day earth?

Are we being prepared for a BIG, extra big surprise soon? one can never be too sure now days! (I am somewhat joking...)

posted on May, 11 2022 @ 08:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: TruthJava

originally posted by: TheSpanishArcher
Man, this is sad. WTF are people up to, stealing fossils?

So the fossils were removed "between August 2017 and August 2018"... hmmm

wonder why they feel the need to write an article about this almost 4 1/2 years later?

How long does it take to clone something?

Did I ever mention the dream I had a few times where dinosaurs were actually running around in present day earth?

Are we being prepared for a BIG, extra big surprise soon? one can never be too sure now days! (I am somewhat joking...)

This article explains it better:

www.ksl.com...

National Park Service rangers began investigating the theft earlier this year when park officials posted a photo of fossils on the park's Facebook page, said Shauna Cotrell, the park's acting chief of interpretation.

"A visitor commented on (the post) and said they had noticed something was missing from that trackway," she told KSL.com on Wednesday. "It came from a visitor who is a paleontologist and was familiar with the site."

After sifting through photos and paleontological records, park officials determined it was taken within the 2017-2018 timeframe.

posted on May, 11 2022 @ 09:06 PM
link   

One can only hope these fossils end up in the Private collection of someone who will actually take care of them , I'm sure they will be sold on the Black Market so odds are good a High end Private collector will take possession .

posted on May, 11 2022 @ 10:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: asabuvsobelow

One can only hope these fossils end up in the Private collection of someone who will actually take care of them , I'm sure they will be sold on the Black Market so odds are good a High end Private collector will take possession .

WIth the current notoriety, they are worthless. Authentication would expose the idiots that took them as well as anyone buying them. Regardless of who took them, possession by anyone is a federal crime.

posted on May, 11 2022 @ 11:12 PM
link   

Must not be that valuable if the reward is only 1k...

posted on May, 11 2022 @ 11:18 PM
link   
Offering only (up to) $1,000 dollars is pathetic. So it's irreplaceable and maybe priceless, but gosh, we'll only pay a grand if we can catch the culprit...

I'll pay only $1,000 dollars for a new Lamborghini. That's how that reads.

posted on May, 12 2022 @ 12:25 AM
link   
What if a dog took it?

It is a bone!

Dogs like bones!

Could have been a child taking it for show and tell.

To people that are unaware of the significance it is just an old cool bone.

P

posted on May, 12 2022 @ 12:41 AM
link   
a reply to: markovian
I don't go up to red rock park but my wife likes to hike up there. From what I know if the area its very upscale and clean. Not sure how long summerlin has been like that but I've only heard how pretty it is up there.

posted on May, 12 2022 @ 08:31 AM
link   

I think it is: theft of historical artifacts on national land.

Felony, I think.

posted on May, 12 2022 @ 03:29 PM
link   
Stolen? Stolen from who exactly? You know that things left in the ground eventually will disintegrate into nothing? So it was on National Park land? Government land...which is really OUR land and you are crying over some bones being dug up? If you found a large gold nugget on GOVERNMENT land would you take it? I sure as hell would.
edit on 12-5-2022 by Oathkeeper73 because: Mistake

new topics

top topics

join