It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Whatever Happened to This?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 9 2022 @ 09:42 PM
link   
I've been obsessed with an a cappella group on YouTube for a couple days now, and while I was watching them, I ran across this clip:

It's part of an Oscars from 1970. Fred Astaire and Bob Hope are presenting, and along the way, Hope asks Fred is he dances anymore and Fred assures him that he gave it up ... last year. Well, things happen.

And while I was watching it, it occurred to me that this was so much classier than Will Smith belting Chris Rock.

WTF happened?! How have we fallen so low?
edit on 9-5-2022 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 9 2022 @ 09:51 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

Progress right?

posted on May, 9 2022 @ 10:37 PM
link   

Liberals and Liberalism.
This country has been poisoned by them.

posted on May, 9 2022 @ 10:50 PM
link   
When you actually have real talent, pokey nipples, wet butts and salacious lyrics are not necessary.

Who knew?

posted on May, 9 2022 @ 11:02 PM
link   

Because unfortunately we really are stuck inside the back to the future 2 alternate universe. It’s hard to find a nice restaurant these days that every man is wearing a button down. Class is gone. We live in a free for all society now. Everyone is selfish.

posted on May, 10 2022 @ 12:04 AM
link   
nevermind
edit on 10-5-2022 by Spacespider because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 10 2022 @ 06:55 AM
link   

And while I was watching it, it occurred to me that this was so much classier than Will Smith belting Chris Rock.

You're just being racist.

posted on May, 10 2022 @ 07:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: Klassified

Cheap shots like that are part of the problem.

posted on May, 10 2022 @ 07:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: Lazarus Short

Do I really need to put "/sarc" after every obviously sarcastic post I make? Surely you are being sarcastic.

edit on 5/10/2022 by Klassified because: reword

posted on May, 10 2022 @ 07:26 AM
link   
Fred Astaire's dancing and music is very far from what I normally listen to or watch, but I do recognise skill and ability here. That man could dance.
I have many discussions at home with my husband, that for the first time in my life advancement and civility and style are actually going down rather than up.

Since I was born [end 60s], everything seemed to get better and more futuristic. Every decade seemed to come up with new stuff and more exciting inventions. I really thought that when I am old, we'd be living in a future like the 70s used to depict. White interiors, new flying machines, clean looking amazing buildings etc.

Then in the 80s grotty future came yet it was still advancement only more down to earth. Something believable.

At the end of the 90s I had my third youth with clothes, music and styles...and then it all deteriorated.

Everything started to go worse. Tony Blair made me puke, no more new styles, mainstream music became boring, political correctness gone mad become a must. [I can still find new bands that rock but not in mainstream].
The world became a cesspit of the worst ruling over the best, everything I always feared [oppression, forced medications, the ruling of a few mentally ill people over the majority] became a reality.

I have to say that there were still good dancers with decent music out there back in the 90s [Remember Christopher Walken dancing awesomly to Fatboy Slim?
]

Then it all stopped. Replaced by pink hair and degenerates taking over.

posted on May, 10 2022 @ 10:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: Lazarus Short

Do I really need to put "/sarc" after every obviously sarcastic post I make? Surely you are being sarcastic.

Sorry, my sarchasm detector needs an upgrade. I usually take people at their word if voice inflections are not available...

posted on May, 10 2022 @ 10:18 PM
link   
a reply to: Hecate666

Yeah, the old stuff isn't exactly what I'm into either, but I also found this while listening to that a cappella group:

This is synced in perfectly, but nothing is sped up or otherwise altered. Those old stars had talent. They just danced in different styles.

posted on May, 11 2022 @ 06:57 AM
link   
I guess my additional thoughts on this are that we know this was planned. Hope didn't actually catch Astaire by surprise, but how much time did we all spend thinking that the whole Smith/Rock incident was also planned instead of spontaneous?

If that's so, why is it that the best we can do for a spontaneous incident is for a member of the audience to storm the stage and punch the MC these days? How is that better entertainment than some light hearting ribbing and "spontaneous" dance given by an old master of the craft?

posted on May, 15 2022 @ 09:07 AM
link   

If only Will Smith would of danced out his anger,

new topics

top topics

join