It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Who is the most influental religious figure?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 6 2022 @ 11:40 AM
link   
Treading carefully here.

Being raised a Christian and experiencing churches of several denominations I feel qualified to discuss these things, belief be durned.

My 'faith' evolved as a Christian. Prayer was integral, daily constant occurance. Using my Bible for comfort and direction. A very personal and private thing it became for me. It was around this time my 'belief' was questioned by an associate. So I began to seek God. And I came upon a scripture..(paraphrasing ) "Pray in secret and I will answer You in the open."

So I started praying in my closet, literally, and while doing this (since there was limited space) I adopted a similar praying position to that of Our Muslim friends. And I found the position to help me focus on intercession. So, good deal.

Well, one night I snuck in my room to pray, as we had company (mother in law), but I didnt go in the closet I just got down by the foot of my bed in the dark..Well, Mother in law walks by and sees me, is immediately offensive and interrupts my prayer thinking Im doing something foreign..as I did not as a rule discuss my 'faith' with anyone, and that bothered her. She is Southern Baptist. Intolerant hypocrite.

So the questioning by an associate along with the rudeness of an ignernt, caused me to look for a solution.

Hiding in the closet I decided to pray..one last time.
Paraphrasing again.."God, been talking to You all my life. You know me way better than I do. Im not going to talk to You anymore. Because my words and thoughts will fail. I just ask that You know that I know and do Your will. And I ask that You give me the Character Of Joshua. My last prayer."

Havent 'prayed' since.
So, no I dont believe in God.
But if I say I know, You will say "Prove it."
Only logical solution.."I dont know."
Now You tell me why I need faith, or religion?

Back on topic..My pick is Joshua for most influential religious figure.

posted on May, 6 2022 @ 12:00 PM
link   
a reply to: didntasktobeborned

There was no other even close to Jesus.

posted on May, 6 2022 @ 12:03 PM
link   

It's interesting to read your post and your experience of faith, losing your faith and Joshua being the religious figure you regard as most influential to you. I really do not understand what made you lose your faith? The Almighty needed only one Joshua to do what needed to be done at the time. Our Creator is not a clone factory like the Tyrell Corp'.

For me it is the other Joshua, aka Yeshua aka Jesus Christ. He was so right when He said that the Prophets would love to have seen what His generation saw, but did not understand or recognise. Two thousand years of Christian history and counting backs Him up in retrospect. It's always after the fact with us slow to catch on humans.

So, why did you lose your faith? I have followed the Bible since I was a baby. I have experimented with just about everything, including dabbling in Wicker/Shamanism and the likes, but never renounced Jesus. As I get older my faith is more informed and deeper. It helps me more than anything else in my life. I have nothing without it, as I see it. I put it before family and friends. It is the most important part of my life. I am still stumbling all over the place, but I know God has patience and more than anything He requires love. That is why David was so important to Him. David was a nasty piece of work at times as we know from the Bible accounts of him, but it is obvious through his actions and songs that he loved God and was trying. Jesus told us that the two most important commandments are to love God with all our being and love our fellow humans as ourselves, world wide universal with no buts or get out clauses.

Yes, hypocrisy, how many Christians even do love other humans who are different to them? There is hypocrisy in all faiths. We are all part hypocrite, even there most devout because we are never perfect in what we think and do. That's why my most influential religious figure came into the world...to save sinners, "a wretch like me".

Hey, this is my first ever post on ATS. Good to meet you and everyone else too.

posted on May, 6 2022 @ 12:05 PM
link   
Saul, Paul. Without him, Jesus would have faded into obscurity.

posted on May, 6 2022 @ 12:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: fishy6

There was no other even close to Jesus.

Muslims would beg the differ , Muhammad was equally as Influential if not more so than Jesus . Muhammad fought in many battles to spread the word of Islam .

and I would say Abraham is more influential than Jesus , Abraham is mentioned in Christianity , Judaism , Islam and Hinduism .

posted on May, 6 2022 @ 12:07 PM
link   

Saul, Paul. Without him, Jesus would have faded into obscurity.

So right!

Without Paul Christ would not have reached any of the gentile world.
edit on 6-5-2022 by Tarantula777 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 6 2022 @ 12:18 PM
link   

It's interesting to read your post and your experience of faith, losing your faith and Joshua being the religious figure you regard as most influential to you.

I can answer the Joshua part of the implied question. Because thats who God chose to teach the Hebrew slaves to introduce Him to the opressors.

The losing faith part I am not at liberty to discuss..lol

Thank You for the kind, and thoughtful reply.

Elbo Grees

posted on May, 6 2022 @ 12:40 PM
link   

not that loosing faith is a good thing, but I sure hope for your sake that it took more than your mother in law, and some guy from work to make you stop believing. But that's on you, not them.

I believe God is there for comfort and guidance, and like choosing to ignore directions or follow a map, he can be ignored just as he can be prayed to.

I don't know you, but if I was to offer advice, I'd say worry much less about what others think of you, and worry much more about what YOU think of you.

posted on May, 6 2022 @ 12:55 PM
link   

Who is the most influential religious figure?

Many think Trump is...At least in the US

callingallchristians.net...

whichgodsaves.com...

religionnews.com...

edit on 6-5-2022 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 6 2022 @ 12:55 PM
link   
a reply to: network dude

I don't know you, but if I was to offer advice, I'd say worry much less about what others think of you, and worry much more about what YOU think of you.

words to live by.

posted on May, 6 2022 @ 01:16 PM
link   
Only possible way You could have brought politics into this, and at least in my estimation of things, be most welcome.

a reply to: olaru12

posted on May, 6 2022 @ 01:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: asabuvsobelow

words to live by.

Man, I think about this alot, even though Im settled in my conclusion. Im Human..I will most likely die at some point.
I never needed you or your laws, or your religions to make me anything other than what I am..dying. Just like You.
And what does any animal do in death?...one more thing..if they can. Humans are the only things Im aware of that beg in the throws of mortality...anywho, digressing

posted on May, 6 2022 @ 01:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: didntasktobeborned
Only possible way You could have brought politics into this, and at least in my estimation of things, be most welcome.

a reply to: olaru12

In America politics and religion are joined at the hip. Some Political campaigns are focused on which religion will vote for
a particular candidate and those people will be targeted for asking for campaign contributions. And if you sing the right tune, their wallets open up. It's an established practice especially in the South.

Separation of church and state is a myth!
edit on 6-5-2022 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 6 2022 @ 01:31 PM
link   
Xenu. He's got all the celebs and rich people.

posted on May, 6 2022 @ 01:43 PM
link   
Probably Mitra first mention around 1400bc many other sons of god seem to be spins offs.

posted on May, 6 2022 @ 01:50 PM
link   
"The Dude", aka "The Big Lebowski" is the coolest religious figure by far.

posted on May, 6 2022 @ 02:19 PM
link   
Jesus of Nazareth

posted on May, 6 2022 @ 03:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: didntasktobeborned

originally posted by: asabuvsobelow

words to live by.

Man, I think about this alot, even though Im settled in my conclusion. Im Human..I will most likely die at some point.
I never needed you or your laws, or your religions to make me anything other than what I am..dying. Just like You.
And what does any animal do in death?...one more thing..if they can. Humans are the only things Im aware of that beg in the throws of mortality...anywho, digressing

how you play the game is how you live. You don't have a choice, you have to play, but you can make up your own rules. We are all dying, and only then will we know the truth. But until then, you can either make the best of it, or play the sympathy "poor me" card. Both are appropriate, but one brings happiness, and one sadness.

A smart guy one said, "what we do for ourselves, dies with us, what we do for others, is eternal". I don't need others to know what if anything I did for them, but I know I feel more complete knowing I had a chance to do just a little, and I did. None of that requires religion, just humanity. You sound like you need some perspective and a smile. I sincerely hope you find it. For me, a dock, some water, and a sunset, or sunrise is usually the correct medicine to unclog the fog.

I'll say a prayer for you to find a smile. And remember, when you do smile, it will be proof God loves you.
seriously though, take a little time for you, it matters.

posted on May, 6 2022 @ 03:51 PM
link   
Obiwan Kenobi.

A close second Master Yoda.

JMO

posted on May, 6 2022 @ 04:34 PM
link   

You sound like you need some perspective and a smile.

I totally smiled as I read this, maybe not the type You think I need, but a smile nonetheless.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join