It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How JRR Tolkien Ties in with Current Events

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 28 2022 @ 05:46 PM
link   
I read a fairly long interpretation of JRR Tolkien's LOTR this morning - it was also an analysis of modern (and not so modern) history.
In short:
the Shire = England
Gondor = Russia
Rohan = Poland
Osgiliath = Constantinople (both are port cities)
Minas Tirith = Vienna (think of the siege of Vienna by the Turks)
and
Orcs = Turks
It's all here, and fairly politically incorrect:

rense.com...

posted on Apr, 28 2022 @ 06:00 PM
link   
Very interested in this...will read later and comment.

At open for my daughter's musical.

I am just starting a course on him and C.S. Lewis on hillsdale.com

It is a free if you are interested.

posted on Apr, 28 2022 @ 06:20 PM
link   
a reply to: Lazarus Short

Right guy makes some good points, I used to be of the opinion that variance in intellect by race (Actually we are all one race but let's just stick with the convention even if it is wrong, ethnic subgroup would be a better terminology) was more to do with the diet of peoples regions and both environmental and social factors rather than gene's.

Also there are other reasons for much of this such as why we are all much more stupid than our great grandfathers generation - all the lead poisoning from all that lead in cars petrol that was inhaled by us all that means we have at least a thousand times as much lead in our body's as they had.

And remember we are changing fast as just four or five thousand years ago in European people had bigger brains than today (though those early modern skulls may have been a displaced or wiped out different ethnic subgroup to todays Europeans - still larger brains though and the Neanderthals also had bigger brains) but we seem to be more intelligent than them (Seem to be but no one can prove that as there were less of them and a far more primitive time and they did just fine surviving it - in the Neanderthal's case they had to eat more protein and far more often so no time to sit down and write the collected theory's of the cave dwelling philosophers), maybe we are wired differently or something and of course it is not all about brain size.

Not sure the Turk's are Orc's though, perhaps Tolkien was a bit creative and used some racial stereotypes but most of his fantasy world was based in a fantasy England and drew on ancient Norse legend's, the Elves or Alf for instance were a race from Alfheim in Nordic mythology and Troll's and Dwarves also feature in there legends while the old Anglo Saxon name for England actually translated to "Middle Earth".

I would suggest therefore that the Authors conclusions are probably wrong but some of the ideas that Tolkien may have gained may have given him inspiration.

And remember Aragorn was supposedly swarthy skinned rather than fair skinned and he was the rightful king of the people out of the west.

Some of Tolkien's other work's may shed more light though such as the Silmarillion etc.

He DID though have EVIL men whom came from the east with huge elephant's that served Sauron? and fought on the side of the Orcish army's.

And of course England and Scotland are the homes of the SHIRES with a great many county's that are called Shires on our small island.

Mordor may have been a reference to the dark satanic mill's, steel work's and coal belching chimney's that were still prevalent when he grew up as well.

What I like about authors of his period is there story's still had a moral core, morality was part of what they wanted to teach to Children though perhaps it started a slippery slope that led to countless other authors wanting to be the next Tolkien and plagiarising his works.

I don't think he was racist though at least not in any way I can see, claims to the contrary may be driven by ulterior motives that are only too happy to use a man whom is long dead and can not then turn around and prosecute them for defamation.

edit on 28-4-2022 by LABTECH767 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 28 2022 @ 08:58 PM
link   
a reply to: Lazarus Short

Interesting read

But if you want some real religious hatred look no further than Sir Richard Burton in The Jew the Gypsy and El Islam ,

Interesting bunch those Sythians lol

edit on 28/4/2022 by stonerwilliam because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join