It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why is there suddenly an extremely severe shortage of workers all over the world?

page: 7
<< 4  5  6   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 27 2022 @ 05:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: filthyphilanthropist
As for criminal records there certainly are some fields where it should be very restricted, but otherwise they need better work opportunities. They go to prison, serve their time, get out and go back to crime because there are no significant opportunities for them. The same people who chastise them for not having a job are usually the same people who will not give them a job.

Recidivism is reality. Criminals are worse for society than any other scourge. There needs to be a control ... like an explosive implant. Give 'em three choices: Stay in jail under hard labor conditions; GTFO; take the implant

The amount of money stolen from our paychecks and spent on criminals needs to be drastically reduced. As long as I am taxed for somebody else's bad behavior ... eff 'em. If I were in charge, I'd hammer the living Hell out of anyone who enabled their criminal activities ... just as hard.

posted on Apr, 27 2022 @ 05:33 AM
link   
a reply to: filthyphilanthropist

Many of us have given such folks too many chances been burned and learned from our mistakes. Of course that shouldnt apply to everyone but its easy to forget

Eventually you have to call a liar a liar, stop believing anything they say and make them present independently verifiable facts even just to convince you the sky is blue.

Yes once someone serves their time they are good. My standard of right and wrong go beyond what people in suits say should be legal or not. The problem is, the types of people likely to get caught committing crimes (notice I say caught vs commit, far more crimes go unsolved than not IRL) are often the same types who arent that smart or imaginative to begin with

Worst part is, I have seen the stuff people in jail do come up with. From contraband to crafts. I have said it before and meant it, if they took THAT effort and applied it to a job, they would be succesful and valuable employees. There is also a category of people basically too smart for their own good. They are Elon Musk with a drug problem types who never took off, they are the ones you sometimes see escaping or masterminding complex criminal acts. That category especially could do so much if they only applied it.

And to your point....a big part of that is nobody giving them a chance. So i do agree with what you write here. Dont coddle, rehabilitate.
edit on 4/27/2022 by JBurns because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 27 2022 @ 05:45 AM
link   
All it proves to the powers that be is that there are a lot more people here than what we need.

posted on Apr, 27 2022 @ 11:13 AM
link   
There isn’t. There’s a shortage of those who are willing to work for garbage wages.

If you died tomorrow, they’d replace you in a week.

And you want people to care about the well being of businesses?
edit on 27-4-2022 by UsedtoTieKnots because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 27 2022 @ 11:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: UsedtoTieKnots
There isn’t. There’s a shortage of those who are willing to work for garbage wages.

posted on Apr, 27 2022 @ 11:47 AM
link   

edit on 27-4-2022 by UsedtoTieKnots because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 29 2022 @ 07:49 PM
link   
One third of non-employed women surveyed said that during the pandemic lockdowns, they had to leave the workforce to care for children or other family members. They left and did not come back.

As for men, a quarter said that their industry was suffering and good jobs just didn’t make coming back worth it.

Drill down a bit more and you find that unemployment benefits, stimulus checks, and shifted financial priorities have meant that people have been able to live off the largess. People moved in with mom and dad. They curbed their ambitions.

The $4 trillion added to US savings accounts over two years mean that people have just decided to get by. Two-thirds of workers who aren’t working report that they can earn more from unemployment than from wages.

What about the future? Most men will eventually come back to work. Not so for women: one third have said they are better off tending to home matters, rather than fighting in the rat race of modern employment, especially with school and childcare so sketchy and aging parents who need care.

Finally, we have early retirement. Many people in their late 50s just decided to take their pension and go.

And get this:

Additionally, women are participating in the labor force at the lowest rates since the 1970s. In the spring of 2020, 3.5 million mothers left their job, driving the labor force participation rate for working moms from around 70% to 55%. This number is improving — but it has not fully rebounded.

Incredibly, the pandemic response wiped out 50 years of what “feminists” used to call “gains for women.” Child care closed, workers were sent home, and schools closed. As a result, we are back to the point that fewer than half of married women with children are in the workforce. That there is zero mention of this astonishing fact in the public press is absolutely remarkable.

It’s an indication of just how much is being covered up.

Lower labor force participation is certain to have an effect on GDP numbers. Supply chain snarls add to it. Rising interest rates threaten many industries, especially housing. I’m completely at a loss to understand how anyone thinks that all things will improve in the next reporting quarter. Maybe it will but remember: the National Bureau of Economic Research defines a recession as two consecutive declines in GDP. We are halfway there.

The real concern: is the cause and effect obvious? Governments in the US crushed market functioning in the name of virus control, and all the rest fell into place after: the spending, the debt, the monetary floods, the panicked purging of the labor force of the noncompliant, the wrecking of trade networks, driving people out of work, ruining businesses, low growth, and all the rest.

You can even say that this impending recession is lab created, hatched in the formerly hallowed halls of government under the wild idea that a virus could be intimidated to go away by titles, badges, and force.

Meanwhile, seroprevalence studies show that vaccination aside, at least 60% of the US public has obtained natural immunity through exposure and recovery. In other words, the virus came and swept through anyway. We are left with the carnage of the attempt to stop it by force: by purporting to protect everyone, governments protected no one.

Consider too that this is only the damage we see. As Frederic Bastiat demonstrated, the real cost is that which we cannot see: the employments, investments, technologies, and improved lives that did not take place because the pandemic response made it impossible. The fullness of that we will never know.

posted on Apr, 30 2022 @ 05:04 AM
link   
They haven't vanished. They simply can't get work because of mandates.
Many would he homeless now too.

Ask your self this, how many people do you know who have vanished?

I dont know any. And most people I know or come across, have juiced up 2 or 3 times.

originally posted by: SeriouslyDeep
thecommonsenseshow.com...

If unemployment had skyrocketed during the plandemic, where did all the people desperate for work go? Help wanted signs are all over the place and wages are rising to attract workers, but few people are interested. If these people simply disappeared then where did they go and how come we never heard the slightest rumor about this conspiracy? Someone somewhere had to have seen something. You cant pull something off like millions of working class people vanishing without someone seeing something.

posted on Apr, 30 2022 @ 05:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: UsedtoTieKnots

For a lot of people it wouldn't be a week. If you're packing boxes in an Amazon warehouse they could fill your slot the same day. A new person is literally one telephone call to a man-power provider away.

In some places they could just pull in the next person who walked in off the street.

posted on Apr, 30 2022 @ 05:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: mortex
They haven't vanished. They simply can't get work because of mandates.
Many would he homeless now too.

Ask your self this, how many people do you know who have vanished?

I dont know any. And most people I know or come across, have juiced up 2 or 3 times.

originally posted by: SeriouslyDeep
thecommonsenseshow.com...

If unemployment had skyrocketed during the plandemic, where did all the people desperate for work go? Help wanted signs are all over the place and wages are rising to attract workers, but few people are interested. If these people simply disappeared then where did they go and how come we never heard the slightest rumor about this conspiracy? Someone somewhere had to have seen something. You cant pull something off like millions of working class people vanishing without someone seeing something.

We don't really have that kind of mandate around here. It's mostly only for people who are around vulnerable groups like the elderly, and even then there are many exceptions and loopholes. So almost nobody is in the situation that you're describing.

What we are having is difficulty filling position at the very bottom of the ladder with long hours and terrible money. Companies have gotten used to paying nothing and having the government top-up the rest.

posted on May, 1 2022 @ 02:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: Snarl

originally posted by: filthyphilanthropist
As for criminal records there certainly are some fields where it should be very restricted, but otherwise they need better work opportunities. They go to prison, serve their time, get out and go back to crime because there are no significant opportunities for them. The same people who chastise them for not having a job are usually the same people who will not give them a job.

Recidivism is reality. Criminals are worse for society than any other scourge. There needs to be a control ... like an explosive implant. Give 'em three choices: Stay in jail under hard labor conditions; GTFO; take the implant

The amount of money stolen from our paychecks and spent on criminals needs to be drastically reduced. As long as I am taxed for somebody else's bad behavior ... eff 'em. If I were in charge, I'd hammer the living Hell out of anyone who enabled their criminal activities ... just as hard.

They're set up to fail. Obviously prison should never be a good experience, but there ought to be more effort for rehabilitation. I believe they are designed to keep a high recidivism rate. I never thought about it much until the Texas Department of Criminal Justice largely dissolved Lee College.

My mom was a college teacher for Lee College in the prison system for a very long time. She won teacher of the year many times over and was awarded the Fulbright Hays award and everything. There were many great educators in Lee College who did it for passion. They easily could have made more income elsewhere, but they had a huge impact of their students. In fact, the recidivism rate among Lee College students was astonishingly low both for college students and those in the high school level. Their counterpart, Windham (I think), was no where near as successful in rehabilitating their students.

Despite Lee College being the OG education program in TDCJ and having a much better recidivism rate when it came time for budget cuts it was Lee College that got cut. The state kept funds for the programs which yielded poor recidivism rates, but they denied them for the the ones which made a difference.

Now I'm of the opinion that when convicts are released we as their countrymen ought to embrace them. Give them a chance to get right. Of course we need to discern among them because there are those who will chew up and spit out our generosity, but I think as people we should be willing to attempt to bring them back into the fold of a productive society.

posted on May, 1 2022 @ 09:24 PM
link   

Star for your reply.

2d line.

posted on May, 2 2022 @ 05:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: PassiveSeeker
a reply to: SeriouslyDeep

Companies don’t want to train. Not even trades.

while alot of companies dont want to train is true.. but the trades DO want to train.. but its UP TO THE PERSON to take the initiative to go TO TRADE SCHOOL AND PASS.. last i checked in my area the trade schools have classes ready to start your carreer.. this "excuse" is not what its claimed

Just glancing at a newspaper. Electrician helper/apprentice. 2 years experience bending conduit. Plumbers helper, 1 year relevant experience. It goes on and on.

see above comment to get the experience you need.. most trades do not anymore have "on the job".. thats what trade schools are for

Don’t even expect an office job with just college either.

why should they? just because you have a "degree" does not mean you are qualified for the job.. is your degree in that job or just a (ex) useless one like gender studies .. were you a good student or just passed..

Then clean criminal convictions. Being a stupid kid and getting arrested for something dumb screws you over later.

in short its YOUR OWN FAULT if you did something CRIMINAL that now haunts you in the job market.. even a 6 year old knows breaking the law is bad.. you only get more knowlege of this as you age.. BTW this also includes DRUG USE.. its called PERSONAL RESPONCIBLITY.. funny how many many people can keep their nose clean and also dont need to toke on something ... as the saying goes that EVERYONE KNOWS.. cant do the time, dont do the crime..

Immaculate driving record. I don’t know a single person with one.

back the boat up skippy... there is a difference between a few speeding tickets and say COMMITTING CRIMES when driving like DUI.. along with crime of NOT PAYING YOUR FINES.. i have found outside of a few specific driving jobs like trucker that a few MINOR blemishes on your driving record dont hurt job prospects.. now if your DUMB ENOUGH to say get a DUI, reckless driving , loosing your licence, and other such criminal things.. thats on you.. AGAIN seems most people dont have this problem

Then trade helpers are 10-15 dollars an hour. It’s 15 an hour with 40 hour weeks at McDonalds.

sigh... first while a case can be made about difference in skill levels.. whos fault is that? where were your voices when those "protested" to get "fair wage" for NO SKILL minimum wage job... just because they get a raise (unjustified as it may be) does not mean you get one ... along with the silliness in hte comparison .. at MCD you are not (unless management) go above that. the trades when you put in your time and upgrade your skill will.. sorry charlie but you want the better future.. PUT IN YOUR TIME AT THE BOTTOM

Blame the companies and not wanting to train and pay decently.

im sorry but the "companies" are NOT RESPONCIBLE for giving you the wages YOU THINK YOU NEED.. they offer you XX for YY job.. dont like it.. DONT TAKE THE JOB OR STAY. the way the market works is if there is more jobs than workers.. your wages go up.. if there are more workers than jobs.. the wages go down or stagnate.. with the overiding factor that THE ECONOMY must be good so companies make a profit to PAY YOU... if its bad.. you cant force higher wages and expect to get them , full time, ect..

As for restaurants and the such. That’s society’s fault. Everyone wants to downgrade cooks and waiters and the such. Now you can cook at home.

um you got that backwards.. society IS NOT gonna pay 4 star prices to get dennys type food/service.. i hate to break it to you but if its too much to eat out that is what determines (along with economic conditions) if people "eat at home"... not we" downgrade" anyone..

you and others miss the point..

as an employee YOUR NOT OWED ANYTHING but the wages/benefits the company offers AND YOU WILLINGLY ACCEPT..

YOUR THE EMPLOYEE NOT THE EMPLOYER..

you cannot force higher wages than the economy will on its own support and get the results you want..
you will cost yourself something be fulltime, benefits , and even robots replacing you...

if anyone thinks like the poster you can USE YOUR OWN MONEY (along with loans if need be but must justify them) and OPEN YOUR OWN BUSINESS, RESTERANT , ECT and put your money where your mouth is..

show us how to do it...

if your right, you will be sucessful
if your wrong you will fail
but telling others what they must do.. sorry charlie

scrounger

edit on 2-5-2022 by scrounger because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 2 2022 @ 09:14 AM
link   

Based on the general assumption that humans are humans no matter where they are...the results you see in places like Norway 100% fully support your position.

A person leaving prison today is generally considered, and often rightfully so, less of a person than when they went in. Because prison doesn't make a person better. Everything about it reinforces the worst traits in humans, and distills those traits.

It doesn't have to be that way. Not even a little. And in a nation that claims to value life, this devaluation is a stark contrast to the stated values.

posted on May, 4 2022 @ 01:22 AM
link   
ill sum up the difference between todays generation and mine with a personal story..

I had moved to a town in SD to be with my fiancée (didnt work out).

i had a college degree and some work experience in aviation and retail.

when i was looking for a job i also was looking to join a local CAP unit.

A member of that unit let me know he was an assistant manager for wal mart and they were hiring full time stockers.

I asked him how / where to apply..

he told me but was puzzled why someone with a degree (mine was in aviation and business) would want this lower wage (above minimum but not by much) job and not something better?

I looked him in the eye and stated bluntly "i gotta eat".

He told me if i pass the drug test and no felonies on my record i got the job..

Later we became very good friends..

I also didnt have car payments (drove a used older bronco i paid cash for due to selling an even older beater i drove and saving for it) , didnt have the latest clothes, credit card pmt , ect.. all i had was a student loan pmt , auto insurance and paid half of the living expenses with my fiancée (i didnt mooch of her) .

I didnt look at the job as "beneath me" or "i deserve more".. i looked at it as a JOB TO PAY MY BILLS , lived within my means and looked for a better one.

NOW TODAYS GENERATION...

they think just because they have ANY COLLEGE DEGREE they "deserve" a specific wage

they think the employer OWES THEM A LIVING WAGE .. LIVING WAGE as THEY DETERMINE what it is to "maintain a lifestyle they want"

they can have up front a new car, go partying, have latest phone with plan, ect ect ect..

then act shocked that the EMPLOYER doesnt give in to their DEMANDS.

thats the difference in a nutshell

i leave also with this saying from the author of dilbert

"work sucks, if it didnt suck they would not have to pay you to do it"

scrounger

posted on May, 4 2022 @ 08:06 PM
link   
Lots of people got a taste of the good life when everything was shutdown all over the world. People had many weeks off, some had many months off and lots even had 1-2 years off or worked very little. Most people had never experienced having so much time off, time to be at home, spend time with your family, spend time on your hobbies or just sit back relax and enjoy life.

During this time, not much was open so people got used to staying at home and not blowing money. People realized that they don't have to drop $400 bucks every weekend at the club or lounge. People learned and got used to eating at home, they realized what one night a couple spends going to a restaurant they can guy enough groceries to eat good at home for a week or longer. People realized they dont need to make $500 car payments when they work 10-15 minutes from home, that cheaper car still gets them there the same. As people got used to staying at home they realized they didn't need a brand new outfit every payday, they don't need a new pair of shoes every month.

People got lazy and enjoyed life too much at home, they realized their life was just passing them bye by working 40-50 hours a week, never being at home, only to sleep. People learned to live on minimal incomes and decided they liked that better then living in the rat race. People found others ways to make money from home.

Most people have to work but i know many couple now who decided they weren't doing the 40-50z+ hours a week or in a lot of cases even working 2-3 jobs. Many people found out they can live on 24 hours a week instead of full time or in a lot of cases people are living off their savings still, just spending the minimum to stay at home.

Younger people are living with parents or family till they ate much older now too
edit on 4-5-2022 by MisguidedAngel because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6   >>

join