It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

La Meninas: Blurring the Lines of Reality Through Art

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 13 2022 @ 09:45 AM
link   
a reply to: BelleEpoque

That gave me a great laugh; thank you

(minus the nun, of course
)

posted on Mar, 13 2022 @ 09:49 AM
link   
a reply to: zosimov

OK, well, this now qualifies as the single most worthwhile ATS OP Ever. Kudos.

posted on Mar, 13 2022 @ 09:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: ThatDamnDuckAgain
At first I thought the artist in the background paints the picture and the viewer is a mirror.

So many possibilities, it's seldom a piece of art makes my head churn so fast.

Yes, I wondered if Velázquez was using a mirror to capture the scene as well; making the subject of the painting the mirror image.
I could get lost in this work. No wonder it's been the subject of so much critique over the years.

To add one more interesting element; the room depicted is the gallery where the painting would likely hang. (I've read conflicting information about where the King kept this piece).
Another fun article on the subject:
www.theguardian.com...

posted on Mar, 13 2022 @ 10:03 AM
link   
a reply to: TonyS

I'm glad you find the topic valuable! I agree that it's a really fascinating and important work of art.
And the comments in here have been insightful and interesting.
Wish I'd spelled it correctly in the title

posted on Mar, 13 2022 @ 02:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: ThatDamnDuckAgain
So many possibilities, it's seldom a piece of art makes my head churn so fast. What baffles me to most is the look on the princess face and the woman left to her, her look too. It made me think about what children miss if there is zero "hardship" in their life. As in, always get everything they want.

We each saw a different prominent figure in the painting. así es la vida

posted on Mar, 13 2022 @ 07:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: theatreboy

originally posted by: olaru12
I feel blessed to be able to blur the lines in the film industry. I love classical painting!!

Even though many ATS members hate Hollywood and media in general; it doesn't take away from the pride I feel in working on film and TV. Even though the money is great, I would do it for nothing, just the pleasure of working with an outstanding creative community is enough.

It seems IATSE is full of creative people. I am off to a 3 day Hamilton load in. I am excited....when these tours stop by, I ALWAYS learn something new.

When my divorce is final, I am gonna travel for a minute...can you get me a peak at a set?

Sure...but being IATSE you can visit any movie set you want, careful they might put you to work.. TV studios are usually closed sets. I've switched to working above the line on Indy projects as an AD.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join