It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Now I have become Death the destroyer of worlds

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 27 2022 @ 05:37 PM
link   

The words of the person who presided over the making of the atomic bomb J. Robert Oppenheimer, quoting from the Hindu Bhagavad-Gita:Now I have become Death the destroyer of worlds," after he witnessed the first atomic bomb test.

Forgive me for sounding preachy. But have we all forgotten? Indeed, in seconds at the end of WWII, 100,000 human beings were incinerated in Japan. By a bomb that’s now obsolete. All the rhetoric and tough-guy talk will melt like Hiroshima and Nagasaki melted under those atomic bombs 77 years ago on August 6, 1945, if humankind persists in the folly of war, and incidents like this present Ukraine crises.

Have we become mad as a species? Are we down for the count? If so, are we at a count of 8, punch drunk with hatred, division, and no light or uncommon sense in our hearts and minds?

I'm an old guy, I've lived but let us give our children a chance folks. Give peace a chance.

After all of this maybe the world will rather than get more militantly war-like, this will wake humanity up and we'll start going back to nuclear weapons limitations talks. Of course, after this mess ends and we go through another round of division and another arms race, perhaps wiser heads can come forward and lead humanity to sanity, and what will ultimately be our survival.

What happened to the peace movements?
Both sides are responsible for this. Remember the US has what Eisenhour warned us about, the Military-Industrial Complex beast who wants strife and war in order to make profits. The world is hurling not to peace but war, and that may spell our doom, lest we wake up and turn towards hope.
Why not give peace a chance and start thinking about ending war and this mad WMD arms race. Or we are in serious danger of self-destruction.

So instead of becoming a destroyer of worlds, we can become makers of worlds…

posted on Feb, 27 2022 @ 05:43 PM
link   
Metallica (yet again) said it best I think

www.youtube.com...

In the name of desperation
In the name of wretched pain
In the name of all creation
Gone insane
We're so #ed
# outta luck
Hardwired to self-destruct
Go!
On the way to paranoia
On the crooked borderline
On the way to great destroyer
Doom design
We're so #ed
# outta luck
Oh!
Once upon a planet burning
Once upon a flame
Once upon a fear returning
All in vain
Do you feel that hope is fading?
Do you comprehend?
Do you feel it terminating
In the end?
We're so #ed
# outta luck
Self-destruct
Self-destruct
Self-destruct

posted on Feb, 27 2022 @ 05:45 PM
link   
You aren’t the first to preach peace. For thousands of years millions have preached peace. Particularly when viewing the folly of war.

Then you get in your car and some idiot cuts in front of you and you get angry or someone tries to rob you at knife point.

Peace isn’t something that is sustainable because we are all individuals with a predilection to defend ourselves and others from perceived threats-and some of those threats are real. Those threats won’t sing kumbaya with you.

I thought being older you would have figured that out by now? Come up with something better than ‘peace’.

posted on Feb, 27 2022 @ 05:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: peaceinoutz
Have we become mad as a species? Are we down for the count? If so, are we at a count of 8, punch drunk with hatred, division, and no light or uncommon sense in our hearts and minds?

Nope not as a species, just a handful and one guy in particular who thinks threatening everyone with nukes if they respond to his actions is warranted.

Id say those humans that actually would ever want to nuke someone even their most hated enemy are so few that they arent even worth thinking about... the rest of us arent insane or unempathetic enough that we'd even consider subjecting 100,000s of humans to that fate.

posted on Feb, 27 2022 @ 05:58 PM
link   
a reply to: MetalChickAmy

Meh… I was hoping your song was Seek and Destroy, Fight Fire With Fire, or Am I Evil.

Am I evil, yes I f#ing am!

Searching, Seek and destroy!

Do unto others as they’ve done unto you!

…….but yours is good too, I guess. Lol

posted on Feb, 27 2022 @ 05:59 PM
link   
a reply to: AcrobaticDreams

Ummm…correct…we are in fact…territorial…lactating…predatory…mammals…parading around thinking we’re an evolved species that have grown beyond our innate natures…

Not really hard to comprehend…you just have to set aside the illusion for a bit…

YouSir

posted on Feb, 27 2022 @ 05:59 PM
link   

If someone provokes you , as in attacks you, that's an act of violence, you should defend yourself.
He's talking about at a world level.
So nations not attacking other nations etc.

posted on Feb, 27 2022 @ 06:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: ancientlight

If someone provokes you , as in attacks you, that's an act of violence, you should defend yourself.
He's talking about at a world level.
So nations not attacking other nations etc.

What are nations made up of? The only thing preventing the US and EU from fighting Russia right now are the nuclear weapons. Weapons so devastating that they scare everyone. If we just had sticks and stones, we’d be over there right now.

posted on Feb, 27 2022 @ 06:09 PM
link   
a reply to: TexasTruth

...And Justice for all

Blackened

Harvester of Sorrow

posted on Feb, 27 2022 @ 06:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: peaceinoutz
What happened to the peace movements?

Isn't there an saying to the effect, "Peace lasts only as long as memories of the last big war"?

Well the generation that saw WWII firsthand is now into their 90's and twilight. How many living Westerners or Russians have seen their own cities in bombed ruins?

Perhaps another saying, “Those that fail to learn from history are doomed to repeat it”.

posted on Feb, 27 2022 @ 06:26 PM
link   
It suppose to be "Devourer of Worlds", Oppenheimer mistranslated it.

posted on Feb, 27 2022 @ 06:30 PM
link   
And some wonder why aliens are ignoring us ?
lol

posted on Feb, 27 2022 @ 06:51 PM
link   
a reply to: peaceinoutz

More than anything else, nuclear bombs are why no one has done what Russia is doing now - namely invade a country with either its own nuclear arsenal or strong ties to nuclear allies. The threat of what the world saw in Hiroshima and Nagasaki has held the peace.

But,

That generation is largely dead and gone, and people lack imagination. It seems we are all held to re-learn the lesson the hard way like children who must touch the hot pot to learn what exactly our parents mean when they tell us not to. Those of us with a little imagination can only hope and pray that we don't end up dying to satisfy that need for everyone else.

posted on Feb, 27 2022 @ 07:13 PM
link   
a reply to: JinMI

Now that, is my favorite Metallica album. I saw them in Dallas on tour for Justice and the Black album.

edit on 27-2-2022 by TexasTruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 27 2022 @ 07:14 PM
link   
a reply to: TexasTruth

Mine too. Have it on vinyl, cassette, cd and digital.

Only saw them once as a security guard on Dec 31 1999.

posted on Feb, 27 2022 @ 07:28 PM
link   

I said it before in another thread, but I'll repeat for posterity.

This planet is a paradise for assholes.
-KMFDM, "Paradise"

posted on Feb, 27 2022 @ 07:30 PM
link   
a reply to: MetalChickAmy

What is and what should never be

posted on Feb, 27 2022 @ 07:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: Spacespider
And some wonder why aliens are ignoring us ?
lol

I bet every time they do a slow system fly-by, they're looking at us while calling the nearest other ship, "Yeah Frank, I'd just write these neighbors off for the potluck meet & greet. Still a total #ing dumpster fire, these humans."

posted on Feb, 27 2022 @ 07:33 PM
link   
There are forces that extend beyond any average human controlling it all. If it's human, it does not represent 99.9% of us but when they use endless fear to control the masses the collective human psyche can be controlled by it's lowest common denominator.

These wars, no one wants except those at the top. If people are on board it's because they have been brainwashed by fear.

posted on Feb, 27 2022 @ 07:39 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

More than anything else, nuclear bombs are why no one has done what Russia is doing now - namely invade a country with either its own nuclear arsenal or strong ties to nuclear allies. The threat of what the world saw in Hiroshima and Nagasaki has held the peace.

That’s the irony and choice. Small wars aren’t affected by these nukes. But big wars are you say, fine that’s true to a degree, but accidents and the reality that people are crazy enough to kill millions with no problem, still show WMDs are a risk. IMO, it’s a bigger risk than to have another World war. Nukes aren’t worth it, since they don’t really guarantee peace at all looking at the fact that we almost still went to war n 1960 and still may do it anyway, considering the insanity of world leaders, and the fact that the US already found it necessary to use them in 1945, even when they had the war already won.

So, no, the nukes don’t really prevent war enough to justify their existence.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join