It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Love is Blind in Different Cultures

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 23 2022 @ 05:37 PM
link   
A little distraction from all the seriousness.

I’m watching a Netflix series called Love is Blind.

It takes place in different countries. I watched the US and am now on Love is Blind Japan. There is also a Brazil one, looking forward to that.

I love the US, but I have to say these people were unhinged. Yes I know it is a form of reality tv, but if this is what people are shown as an example of American dating… Lord Have Mercy! The whole basis of this show was that you meet with different people, sight unseen and create an emotional connection. Then, after a few weeks you either get engaged or you don’t. If engaged you go on to trial live with that person.

It seemed as if every man and woman had some sort of mental illness.
I don’t know if it is all the me too movements, the soy in our foods, or what, but something ain’t right.
There was also a couple that were getting along real well. The guy proposes, after everything is accepted he tells her that he is fluid and has been with both men and women. She is shocked and breaks it up. She got real life death threats because of it!

The part that I found so sad is that a lot of people were madly, deeply “in love” actually infatuated with someone behind a screen, but the second they saw them in real life that all changed. I guess that is human nature. It was especially prevalent in the US series. The other facet, one that I find so absolutely hilarious is that nobody seemed to match their voice! How many times have you experience this?
If you are looking for some good mind numbing entertainment, this is it!
I wasn’t sure how “real” this series was but apparently some of the people are actually still married 2+ years later.

posted on Feb, 23 2022 @ 05:46 PM
link   

Have the last several years not demonstrated there is something profoundly wrong with so many people?

I'm pretty sure it's even worse than we think.

posted on Feb, 23 2022 @ 05:47 PM
link   
a reply to: JAGStorm

I don't watch TV, but I do suffer the impact of it in a general sense as you describe;

They do.

An observation I considered, quite some time ago, is that the depths of stupidity of the internet had managed to slip it's digital bonds and infect the minds of many who have, subsequently, been able to manifest the essence of that stupidity into the real world.

It's like the icing on the cake of Clownworld.

posted on Feb, 23 2022 @ 05:52 PM
link   
a reply to: myselfaswell

They do. An observation I considered, quite some time ago, is that the depths of stupidity of the internet had managed to slip it's digital bonds and infect the minds of many who have, subsequently, been able to manifest the essence of that stupidity into the real world. It's like the icing on the cake of Clownworld.

Everyone has quirks, and that’s OK, this was soo not that! What was disturbing was me sitting here wondering, are there any normal people?
The few that I thought might be ended up being the WORST! Unhinged is the only accurate word I can use to describe it.
Then when some of these people coupled, you got two mentally ill people together.

The other common theme in the US one was everyone thought they were sooo much better than they were (looks, smarts, charm. Etc)
In the Japan one everyone downplayed their attributes. I wonder how Brazil will be. I wondered if they should have mixed the US one and the Japan. LOL

posted on Feb, 23 2022 @ 05:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: JAGStorm

I don’t know if it is all the me too movements, the soy in our foods, or what, but something ain’t right.

Having perused these boards for some years, I would have to agree that mental illness, of various types, and to varying degrees, is far more common than I feel comfortable acknowledging.

Examples of paranoia, aggression, xenophobia, schizophrenia, the whole gamut of neurosis, psychosis, and downright mental unwellness, is on full display.

And, I must confess, I've noted a marked decline of mental health, due mainly to the stress of the changes imposed by the pandemic, within my own family.

It is shocking, if one gives the phenomenon any regard.

posted on Feb, 23 2022 @ 05:59 PM
link   
a reply to: JAGStorm

I recall a few years ago listening to a radio program about the effects during and after these types of reality shows.

From what I heard, from even before any filming starts, the producers are right up in the faces of these people ensuring that they can get the most extreme and dramatic cause and effect scenarios as they possibly can. I'm not saying that these people aren't off their nut in any way, just noting that they are put under considerable pressure to do things that would ordinarily seem to be in the MO of Jerry Springer.

They are quite exploitative shows that really have no positive benefits to be honest.

posted on Feb, 23 2022 @ 06:16 PM
link   
A friend of mine wanted to enter a cooking program, was asked at the interview of participants to show how she could perform a tantrum

It’s not about the cooking, it’s all theatre. The nastier, bitchier and unhinged, the more ratings

posted on Feb, 23 2022 @ 06:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: Raggedyman
A friend of mine wanted to enter a cooking program, was asked at the interview of participants to show how she could perform a tantrum

It’s not about the cooking, it’s all theatre. The nastier, bitchier and unhinged, the more ratings

What is weird is that the Japan version was not like that.
Maybe for that demographic insanity doesn’t sell.

There were some disappointment etc, but nothing like the US version.
Also in the Japan one there is one point where a guy said he wanted his future wife to stay home and take care of all the domestic duties. It was not looked down on, the women found it endearing and said he is very traditional and typical of a man from that region. They seemed to like it. Can you imagine that on the US version?

posted on Feb, 23 2022 @ 06:48 PM
link   
Don't take reality shows for anything other than light entertainment. I've worked on dozens of them. They are scripted and made purposely sleezy because thats what sells. They are quick and dirty to make with a barebones crew, nonunion "actors" working for peanuts. Who wants to watch normal people doing normal things?

This was my first one... Total BS as they all are. They're not documentaries even if they are shot to look like it.

www.youtube.com...
edit on 23-2-2022 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 23 2022 @ 06:51 PM
link   
a reply to: olaru12

LOL that is precious! I watched another one similar on Youtube about people trying to live like Pilgrims.
It was hilarious.

PBS had one called Victorian Farmhouse or something, that one was excellent and very educational.

new topics

top topics

join