It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Turmeric medical properties

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 30 2022 @ 12:27 PM
link   
a reply to: olaru12

I just come across this I was not aware that there was 2 kinds

Ceylon (“true” cinnamon) is much better in this regard, and studies show that it’s much lower in coumarin than the Cassia variety (39Trusted Source).

Unfortunately, most cinnamon found in supermarkets is the cheaper Cassia variety

The Coumarin they say Is bad for you .

posted on Jan, 30 2022 @ 12:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: TrollMagnet

LOL Im agreeing with you, however, ATS isn't REDDIT or Twitter most here are adults and aren't stupid and are extremely careful at what foreign substances they put in their bodies.

Again we were talking about turmeric and its interactions and side effects are mild. The original post was about turmeric and it wasn't even about essential oils a whole other concern because of concentrations among other things.

LIke I said Im a novice but I do research if Im ingesting something. Even so sometimes I screw up, like recently. I had a severe toothache now I know clove oil need to be diluted when used, but during the middle of the night needing some relief I just put a small dab on a cotton ball and put it on the sore area. I meant to only keep it on for a little while but damn once the pain stopped I fell asleep. Well in the morning there was no pain but I did have a fairly large blister though it faded in about a day or 2.

posted on Jan, 30 2022 @ 12:46 PM
link   
I don't mind turmeric in mustard. That is my main source. It actually smooths the taste of milk when you add a little to the glass of milk too. My daughter taught me after going to India for a month or so for two or three years to study Yoga and associated ayarvadic medicines.

If you eat a lot of stuff like onions and garlic, you could get some problems with consumption of lots of turmeric. I guess in India, people who eat lots of tumeric don't eat much onions. They both contain sulfur groups that are bioactive, but too much of a good thing is not good either.

posted on Jan, 30 2022 @ 01:00 PM
link   
a reply to: Ravenwatcher

I use it daily, I had arthritis so bad in my big toe that I though it was broken. I started taking Tumeric and gradually over about 3 weeks it went away dramatically about 95%. So yea it works and you need to find a dosage suited for your needs.

posted on Jan, 30 2022 @ 01:02 PM
link   

Good thread. Got me thinking about healthy stuff. Will turmeric help with bloating?

SnF for you!

posted on Jan, 30 2022 @ 01:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: ancientlight
Most spices have medicinal benefits, as do most natural oils. Tea tree oil , for instance, has anti-microbal, anti-viral and anti-fungal properties.
Off course it's not talked about much in the open (big pharma $$$)

Essential Oils work in a whole different way to herbs. This thread is about Turmeric the herb.
Turmeric as an EO smells absolutely divine, but on no circumstance should it be ingested.
As to Tea-Tree EO that you cite, again to avoid any confusion it absolutely should not be ingested. Also don't apply it to your cat's or dogs. They react to it because their liver's can't metabolise it and usually causes renal failure and death.
Just adding clarification.
Rainbows
Jane

posted on Jan, 30 2022 @ 01:09 PM
link   
a reply to: lostbook

I'm noticing much less bloating that was one of my problems I even drink it on a empty stomach in the morning .
edit on 30-1-2022 by Ravenwatcher because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 30 2022 @ 01:10 PM
link   
a reply to: Bigburgh
Also, Turmeric can make inflammation worse, so adding the black pepper reduces the chances of a flare up.
Rainbows
Jane

posted on Jan, 30 2022 @ 01:11 PM
link   
a reply to: angelchemuel

Turmeric is supposed to reduce inflammation thats the benefit for arthritis .

posted on Jan, 30 2022 @ 01:16 PM
link   
a reply to: TrollMagnet

Things like lavender, tea tree, and peppermint oils should be avoided by young men,

Nope that is an urban myth. Lots of research has been done into it and as yet still not proven.
HOWEVER, you are quite right, there are many EO's that have hormonal properties that work an all/any parts of our endocrine system.
FYI, here are the contraindications to the 4 EO's already mentioned:
Tea-Tree (Melaleuca alternifolia): Possible skin irritant to small percentage of people. And as previously mentioned should not be used on pets.
Lavender (Lavendula angustifolia): Pregnancy or if there has been a history of miscarriage or breakthrough bleeding, otherwise only after first trimester, low blood pressure, cancer, allergies. Do not use if preparations using Iodine or Iron are being taken. English Lavender has higher Linalool content.
Peppermint (Mentha piperata): Pregnancy, epilepsy, possible skin irritant, heart disease, homeopathy, fever, Petit Mal, Neurasthenia.
Rainbows
Jane

posted on Jan, 30 2022 @ 01:18 PM
link   
NO, your doctor will know pretty much sweet fanny adam about Essential OIls, that is why there are AromaTHERAPISTS and Clinical AromaTHERAPISTS.
Rainbows
Jane

posted on Jan, 30 2022 @ 01:24 PM
link   
a reply to: putnam6
Big difference between Clove EO and Oil of Cloves. But regardless, leaving it asa compress all night (assuming it was Oil of Cloves as otherwise you would have been in a far worse state) was not too clever an idea. Glad it healed quickly for you.
Clove along with Cinnamon, Turmeric, Ginger are in what we call the 'hot' oil category in Aromatherapy and for very good reason.
Rainbows
Jane

posted on Jan, 30 2022 @ 01:26 PM
link   
a reply to: angelchemuel

I know we are talking about Turmeric but ive got to wade in on EO those can and are dangerous to pets I've heard of dogs dying because of those vaporizers and eucalyptus oils .

I wont even touch those .

posted on Jan, 30 2022 @ 01:27 PM
link   
Yes, it can and will, but not for everyone. It will cause flare-up's for a small minority.
However, the essential oil doesn't induce this response.
Rainbows
Jane

posted on Jan, 30 2022 @ 01:29 PM
link   
Wade in, I'm a clinical Aromatherapist of 30 years and I have already answered another poster who first brought up EO's namely Tea-Tree and said it was dangerous for pets.

Rainbows
Jane

posted on Jan, 30 2022 @ 01:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: angelchemuel
a reply to: TrollMagnet

Things like lavender, tea tree, and peppermint oils should be avoided by young men,

Nope that is an urban myth. Lots of research has been done into it and as yet still not proven.
HOWEVER, you are quite right, there are many EO's that have hormonal properties that work an all/any parts of our endocrine system.
FYI, here are the contraindications to the 4 EO's already mentioned:
Tea-Tree (Melaleuca alternifolia): Possible skin irritant to small percentage of people. And as previously mentioned should not be used on pets.
Lavender (Lavendula angustifolia): Pregnancy or if there has been a history of miscarriage or breakthrough bleeding, otherwise only after first trimester, low blood pressure, cancer, allergies. Do not use if preparations using Iodine or Iron are being taken. English Lavender has higher Linalool content.
Peppermint (Mentha piperata): Pregnancy, epilepsy, possible skin irritant, heart disease, homeopathy, fever, Petit Mal, Neurasthenia.
Rainbows
Jane

You are pushing quackery kept popular by essential oils salespeople.

The most hilarious part about the quackery and why I call it that is because they always claims it can help with hormones, then they claim they cant affect them negatively.

Anyone with any experience in this area knows that both of those claims are not able to be true. Also, in the bodybuilding field, the effects are well known because they are measured by the enthusiasts who micro manage everything put into their bodies, especially the natural bodybuilders. There are many that reduce testosterone, but how much is dependent upon many factors. I am sure there are lots of studies claiming they dont, just like the vax was safe and effective according to all the studies the pharmaceutical companies setup. Same exact thing, only the quackery this time is essential oils.

Lavender: pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov...

Lavender and Tea Tree Oil: www.endocrine.org...

Lavender in Males: www.leaf.tv...
"Problem
Topical use of lavender oil in products such as shampoo, soap and skin lotion, may lead to enlarged breast tissue in boys. Prepubertal gynecomastia, enlarged breasts prior to puberty, is a rare condition and its cause is often not identifiable, according to the National Institutes of Health. A pediatric endocrinologist at the University of Colorado at Denver first suspected a link between lavender oil use and gynecomastia after diagnosing three young males with the condition.

Effects
A study reported in a 2007 issue of the "New England Journal of Medicine" found that lavender oil is an endocrine disruptor, a compound that may interfere with hormone production or activity. Laboratory studies confirmed a doctor’s observations, demonstrating that lavender oil inhibits the effects of androgen, the hormone that controls masculine characteristics, and mimics the actions of estrogen, the female hormone responsible for the growth of breast tissue."

Male Breasts from Essential Oils: bbc.com/news/health-43429933

I am sure you realize if the stuff I am posting was blatant lies, the companies manufacturing the oils and promoting bogus research would have sued them and won long ago. Problem is, these oils mess up hormones pretty seriously if used regularly, and it is easily proven.

If it wasnt for a bunch of people profiting off of these oils and pushing bad info to increase sales, this problem most likely would have resolved itself already. I steer clear of them, and make sure anything my wife has with oils does not touch my kids. I suggest others do the same.
edit on 30-1-2022 by TrollMagnet because:

posted on Jan, 30 2022 @ 01:34 PM
link   

Make sure it has the black pepper in the mix or it won't work.

Tumeric, black pepper & honey = 🎯

posted on Jan, 30 2022 @ 01:56 PM
link   
a reply to: and14263

You will be pretty healthy on that mix. People would just not believe it until they tried it.

posted on Jan, 30 2022 @ 01:57 PM
link   
I've used the Golden Milk recipe for years. From what I've read, the mixture needs to be thoroughly heated to activate the benefits of all ingredients.

1/2 cup (120ml) of an unsweetened milk of your choice
1 tsp of turmeric
1 small piece of grated fresh ginger or 1/2 tsp of ginger powder
1/2 tsp of cinnamon powder
1 pinch of ground black pepper
1 tsp of honey or maple syrup (optional)

Bring to boil; reduce heat and simmer 10 minutes. Store up to 5 days in the refrigerator; simple reheat before drinking.

posted on Jan, 30 2022 @ 01:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: angelchemuel
a reply to: putnam6
Big difference between Clove EO and Oil of Cloves. But regardless, leaving it asa compress all night (assuming it was Oil of Cloves as otherwise you would have been in a far worse state) was not too clever an idea. Glad it healed quickly for you.
Clove along with Cinnamon, Turmeric, Ginger are in what we call the 'hot' oil category in Aromatherapy and for very good reason.
Rainbows
Jane

Like I said Im learning LOL, and even so I knew better about clove EO but the pain and no sleep got the better of me. Seriously there have been several times when Ive went to use an herb or oil medicinally and thought about messaging you about it LOL. Absent a concise primer though I find WebMD or Drugs.com will at least give me a chance of not overdoing it.

Rose geranium definitely has a soothing effect on me, have been using tea tree oil since the Meluca craze from back in the '90s. Coconut oil pull and mouth rinse fairly often and have begun experimenting with tinctures for various ailments.

Like the tea tree oil on skin tags, moles and warts seem to work wonders for me. Among other benefits
edit on 30-1-2022 by putnam6 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join