It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Just picked up a .380 S&W M&P Bodyguard: finally have a solid pocket pistol again.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 23 2022 @ 09:18 PM
link   
Hi folks,

I've been trying to figure out where the firearms section was, ha!

So, I am largely covered for a larger, service caliber firearm. I have a reliable, quality, tested option. But, for summer or running to the store I didn't have a quality pocket pistol in sufficient power for carry. Frankly, a lot of larger handguns from snubby revolvers to subcompact 9mm's aren't that small. They can be bulky too.

I had an LCP I, new issue, that I bought this last summer. I know that many older LCPs were said to be highly reliable, but this one from the new factory was absolutely a lemon. It was a jammomatic through 300 odd rounds, and got worse not better. I sold it.

My LGS had a used Bodyguard .380 ACP for a good deal. I test-fired it, had the gunsmith look over it again, and snatched it up.

Is this my primary carry or home defense gun? No. But it's better to have the .380 than nothing if it comes down to it, or if deep concealment is necesary.

S&W M&P Bodyguard .380 ACP
edit on 23-1-2022 by Madviking because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 23 2022 @ 09:28 PM
link   
a reply to: Madviking
Very nice! I have a Ruger LCR double action in .357/ .38 SP. I love it. Small enough for cargo shorts or a light jacket, or what I do is keep it loaded in my nightstand. I also have a RIA 1911 in .45 for home D.

posted on Jan, 23 2022 @ 09:30 PM
link   
a reply to: darkwingduck

The LCR's are nice for sure. I think Ruger did it right with them. Good triggers. I see one on my horizon one day. For some reason I want a .22 LR LCR.

I have a S&W 642 in .38 special. It's a great pocket gun too, but again, both the LCR's and 642's while being great revolvers, are more the size of a 9mm subcompact. I wanted something slightly smaller for some occasions. In the summer even the snubbies and subcompacts can be large for some wear.

Here's a comparison of size:

posted on Jan, 23 2022 @ 09:37 PM
link   
I really like the double action set up of the LCR. No hammer to cock, and easy out of the pocket with nothing to snag. I would love a .22. I have really been looking at a lever action rifle. Ideally, I want a Browning BLR in .308. And also, a Henry in .22.

posted on Jan, 23 2022 @ 09:43 PM
link   
a reply to: darkwingduck

Yeah, that's why the 642 and LCR fit a good niche. The 642 is also a DA, hammerless revolver meant for the same pocket use. They can be fired from the pocket. Basically, the LCR is a new polymer version of the airweight 642/442, or 357 scandium or steel snubbies.

I need to upgrade to a .357 though. Then, I want like you said a lever action rifle, but I'd like it to match in .357 mag. The Henry Golden Boys in .357 would be sweet, or 30-30. Their .22's are nice too.

I almost bought one for my son around Xmas as at Walmart they had the Henry .22's for $290.

posted on Jan, 23 2022 @ 09:52 PM
link   
I carry a Ruger LCR .38 special and my only complaint is finding ammo...Still.

posted on Jan, 23 2022 @ 09:57 PM
link   
a reply to: airforce47

Unless you are in a no internet shipping allowed state, there is plenty of it on Ammoseek. And, the Covid prices have dropped 50% from their peak for .38 special.

Ammoseek Ammo Search Engine

posted on Jan, 23 2022 @ 10:35 PM
link   
I think you have a very nice pocket gun. although I have 40s and 45's I have have normally carry a 25 cal ruger 7 shot. Just shove it in my rear pocket and roll Folks say if what you carry doesn't start with a 4 then it is not a worth carrying I disagree. Let me shoot you 7 times with a 25. and get back to me.

posted on Jan, 23 2022 @ 10:37 PM
link   
The Bersa Thunder 380 is a nice pistol too. However, the Sig 365 and the Kimber Micro 9mm are both solid 9mm pocket pistols too... IWB EDC is easy and unseen....

edit on 23-1-2022 by 80DegreesandSunny because: revised

posted on Jan, 23 2022 @ 10:48 PM
link   
Those are all nice guns, but if one wants a true pocket micro pistol all of those are larger, including the Bersa. I think its a good idea to have fuller sized handguns, because they are more accurate, have more capacity, and also a BUG or pocket gun for deep concealment. None of the 9mm's or .38 specials are as small as the smallest .380's, except I think for one Kahr 9 mm.

I got the Bodyguard specifically because I wanted a smaller micro pistol. That's one of the main reasons people get the so called mouse calibers for a pocket gun. The difference in concealment is noticeable.

However, for sure there are lot's of great concealed carry guns out there, from the one's you mentioned to S&W Shields, Glocks, etc. I've heard the Springfield Hellcats are good too, in that range.

a reply to: 80DegreesandSunny

posted on Jan, 23 2022 @ 10:49 PM
link   
Replied to wrong poster.

posted on Jan, 23 2022 @ 10:51 PM
link   
a reply to: whiteboyrick

Nice, what .25 model is that? I didn't even know Ruger made a .25 caliber pistol.

posted on Jan, 23 2022 @ 11:40 PM
link   
To mad viking

Sorry, It is a Barretta model 21 A. I am sitting at the kitchen table, and realized it is in my back pocket. Easy to lose track of, and forget you are carrying. I will admit I would love a 380 . I do have heavier calibers, but this is truly a throw in your pocket and forget carry weapon. On another note, I live in Kentucky, and feel the state has done us a disservice by passing a concealed carry law allowing any one to carry concealed. When I took the CCDW class 25 years ago, it was truly was a learning experience. Did not teach anything about handling a firearm, but was a law class teaching you when deadly force is justified. I still have my permit, and renew it every 5 years just for the fact that when I travel to Florida, and the states between, I am legal.

posted on Jan, 24 2022 @ 12:14 AM
link   
to Madviking

Sorry I am so talkative tonight, but the Black velvet is getting the best of me.
If you are going to get a 22LR, I would suggest you get a suppressor with it. I have a suppressor for my mark 4 that also fits my MP22, and it is awesome. Yes, jumping through all the hoops is a PITA, but it is worth the hassle. Not sure if you squirrel hunt, but with the suppressor, well, it truly is an unfair advantage. On the MK4, it sounds like a pellet gun, and on the MP22 the only thing you can hear is the action working when it cycles another shell. Something fun to consider.

posted on Jan, 24 2022 @ 10:59 AM
link   
Those Beretta pocket pistols are sweet. I've considered the 21A in .22 LR.

How do you like the .25 ACP?

Also, there's the Beretta Tomcat in .32 ACP which is basically a 21A in .32 ACP. That's got more power if you want to stick with that style of pistol.

originally posted by: whiteboyrick
To mad viking

Sorry, It is a Barretta model 21 A. I am sitting at the kitchen table, and realized it is in my back pocket. Easy to lose track of, and forget you are carrying. I will admit I would love a 380 . I do have heavier calibers, but this is truly a throw in your pocket and forget carry weapon. On another note, I live in Kentucky, and feel the state has done us a disservice by passing a concealed carry law allowing any one to carry concealed. When I took the CCDW class 25 years ago, it was truly was a learning experience. Did not teach anything about handling a firearm, but was a law class teaching you when deadly force is justified. I still have my permit, and renew it every 5 years just for the fact that when I travel to Florida, and the states between, I am legal.

posted on Jan, 24 2022 @ 01:22 PM
link   
Ruger LCP MAX here, ten rounds of hurt. Got it six months ago and never leave home without it. I’m in Florida and it’s shorts friendly!!

posted on Jan, 24 2022 @ 01:28 PM
link   

Several years ago I won a Glock 25 9mm at a gun raffle. That was just before Glock stopped selling them to the public. A friend of mine was a parachute rigger in the Navy. He took my calculator case and made a breakaway holster for it and two mags, giving me a total of thirty rounds. I carried it when I went to college and nobody ever noticed. I'm a big guy and I can make it disappear when I carry it. I can put it in a pocket, clip it on my belt or use the small holster that I have.

posted on Jan, 24 2022 @ 02:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: WUNK22
Ruger LCP MAX here, ten rounds of hurt. Got it six months ago and never leave home without it. I’m in Florida and it’s shorts friendly!!

Those seem nice. I've held one but not fired. Good capacity, sights, etc. As you know well, the micro pistols help with warm weather. That was my primary desire for one. Even the snubby revolvers and subcompact 9's feel large with some clothes.
edit on 24-1-2022 by Madviking because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 24 2022 @ 02:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: JIMC5499

Several years ago I won a Glock 25 9mm at a gun raffle. That was just before Glock stopped selling them to the public. A friend of mine was a parachute rigger in the Navy. He took my calculator case and made a breakaway holster for it and two mags, giving me a total of thirty rounds. I carried it when I went to college and nobody ever noticed. I'm a big guy and I can make it disappear when I carry it. I can put it in a pocket, clip it on my belt or use the small holster that I have.

Very cool. I didn't even know there was a Glock 19 sized Glock .380. I always wondered why they didn't have a larger .380. Why did they stop selling it?

eu.glock.com...

posted on Jan, 24 2022 @ 09:30 PM
link   
I do like myself some .22 pistols

new topics

top topics

join