It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The 1966 Winter Storm Of The Century

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 19 2022 @ 08:45 AM
link   
One of the most severe blizzards on record to impact the Northern Plains occurred between March 2-5 of 1966. The blizzard was particularly memorable for its long duration, as well as for its very heavy snowfall totals of 20 to 30 inches in some locations and wind gusts exceeding 70 mph at times

At Grand Forks, North Dakota 27.8 inches of snow was measured, with the heaviest snow falling on March 4, when 17.0 inches fell. For Grand Forks, the 17.0 inches on March 4 set a record for most snowfall during one calendar day, while the 27.8 inches for the blizzard as a whole still remains the heaviest event total snowfall on record in Grand Forks.

Some Pictures

Many of us were not alive for this storm, or might not have lived in that area so it's cool to see these vintage pictures

posted on Jan, 19 2022 @ 08:53 AM
link   
a reply to: Blue_Jay33

I was diving into the snow head 1st off grandma's porch.

Dug a snow tunnel...Grandpa came home, shoveled me inside of tunnel.

Popped my head up like a groundhog....50-75 ft into the property.

Nothing anywhere moved for 2-3 days.

posted on Jan, 19 2022 @ 08:59 AM
link   

I wasn't around then, but I do remember some big snows as a kid. We lived in Damascus MD, and my memories of the house are vastly different than reality, but I remember snow drifting to the roof and my sister and I building a tunnel to play in. Some worry wart told our mother we could die if the snow collapsed on us, so she wrecked it. I still think we could have just stood up if that happened, but who knows, perhaps we avoided death. In my memories, the yard went for miles. In reality, it was a 1/4 acre lot.

posted on Jan, 19 2022 @ 09:10 AM
link   
Nope, wasn't around for that one, but I was for the blizzard of 76 that hit Michigan.
My mom drove a maverick, and it was buried! As a kid I thought that was so cool!
And my sister wasn't allowed outside, because the snow was over her head!

posted on Jan, 19 2022 @ 09:15 AM
link   
SPAM
edit on 1/19/2022 by semperfortis because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 19 2022 @ 09:45 AM
link   
I just read about this one the other day. Iran got between 10-26 feet of snow!

unofficialnetworks.com...

posted on Jan, 19 2022 @ 10:47 AM
link   
a reply to: network dude

Whoa, dude, you just blew my mind... Damascus MD was my hometown too! Can you tell me anything about yourself? I can tell you whatever you'd like to know. PM if you want.

posted on Jan, 19 2022 @ 11:27 AM
link   

Until you have had to dig yourself out of your own front door, do not talk to me about snow! 😂

Upstate New York!

posted on Jan, 19 2022 @ 11:29 AM
link   

I remember this storm, I was in Grade 4 or 5 and I had to walk a 1/4 mile to the public school in Toronto, Ontario. Luckily it was a flat walk, no real hills or valleys. The snow banks on either side of the ravine pathway were a good 8-10 feet high. We had some brutal storms back in the 60's. I also remember being 5 and kindergarten, walking to school, same path, falling in the ravine and water, a high school kid got me out. I had to walk about 500 yards home. Ended up getting Staphylococcal Pneumonia, nearly died. We had bad storms....

Cheers - Dave
edit on 1/19.2022 by bobs_uruncle because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 19 2022 @ 12:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: wtbengineer

Whoa, dude, you just blew my mind... Damascus MD was my hometown too! Can you tell me anything about yourself? I can tell you whatever you'd like to know. PM if you want.

just sent you a PM. I also remember we were close to Ft. Detrick, and we would have weird things happen each year. Once was praying mantises everywhere, once was giant earth worms. But I'm sure it had nothing to do with the germ warfare stuff they did there.

posted on Jan, 19 2022 @ 12:53 PM
link   
a reply to: JAGStorm

I used to go ice fishing in Pulaski , NY and I remember the snow being plowed as high as the street signs. The school buses had chains on the tires lol

posted on Jan, 19 2022 @ 12:56 PM
link   

Thanks, I'll check it out. Yeah, praying mantises everywhere alright, I remember that too. We used to catch them by the jar full. One time I was walking back a lane to a farm where a friend lived and I saw these huge, I mean HUGE earthworms wriggling around coming up out of the ground. I was little but I felt like they were a foot long and as big around as my thumb. Never considered Ft. Detrick...

posted on Jan, 19 2022 @ 01:10 PM
link   

About 6-7 years ago we had 18 feet of snow in one season, it became hard to find places to put it. We hopped no more would come but it kept coming. In that same period Newfoundland got about 29 feet of snow that same season.

It got to the point where digging tunnels from the house to the car seemed the next step.

posted on Jan, 19 2022 @ 02:50 PM
link   
I was in the fourth grade in 1966. I remember snow much more than knee deep. We missed so much school that winter that we had to make up a few days in the June, before summer vacation.

We went to school as soon as the roads were clear enough for the school bus to get around. Now day they call school off after a few flurries. The pussyification of American’s is in full swing.

posted on Jan, 19 2022 @ 03:32 PM
link   
Whoa, stop this all of you. Haven't you not heard global warming. The boffins are saying we've had the warmest century on record. And it's going to get warmer.

posted on Jan, 19 2022 @ 03:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: Enduro
a reply to: JAGStorm

I used to go ice fishing in Pulaski , NY and I remember the snow being plowed as high as the street signs. The school buses had chains on the tires lol

Ok you know! It would have been fun if it wasn't so dang freezing. That NY snow is something else!

posted on Jan, 19 2022 @ 05:58 PM
link   
That time frame was when most if not all the climate experts were forecasting another ice age.
From 1978

youtu.be...

posted on Jan, 19 2022 @ 07:03 PM
link   
6 Y.O. out in farm country of western New York when that one hit. Drift went over top of two-story farmhouse. Just down at end of farm the road went between two hills, that area filled in 45' deep and farmers further down road past the hills could not travel at all for two weeks. It took dozers and front loaders to clear.

Most people kept pantries then and my father said the area had worse storm in 44'

posted on Jan, 19 2022 @ 10:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: JAGStorm

Until you have had to dig yourself out of your own front door, do not talk to me about snow! 😂

Upstate New York!

I've had to do that several times while living in Maine. Thankfully my wife and I are moving to SC later this year so no more shoveling in my future.

posted on Jan, 20 2022 @ 03:23 AM
link   
some winters then :-)

new topics

top topics

join