It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Get the snow off your car roof!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 1 2022 @ 08:33 PM
link   
So we got about 3 feet of snow in the last 7-10 days over the holidays so of course everyone that left town had a bunch of snow on their vehicles.

Now I am watching people that appear to be perfectly able and healthy, getting into their car and carefully driving away with a solid foot of snow and ice on their roof.

Did I want to open my car door to get the leverage I needed at 0500 when I got back to alaska before driving home, no but I did it why.. I dont want a chunk of ice flipping off my car and damaging someone behind me.

Lazy people for simple stuff like this really really piss me off.

posted on Jan, 1 2022 @ 08:44 PM
link   
a reply to: Irishhaf

People are idiots!!

People are really IDIOTS...always!!!

posted on Jan, 1 2022 @ 08:56 PM
link   
Here in Wisconsin it is illegal to not remove snow off your vehicle.

I don't know how much the ticket is, but I have been told it is an expensive fine.

posted on Jan, 1 2022 @ 09:03 PM
link   
And then there are people who crash into your car, with a 2" hole scraped in their windshield, just above the dash, and iced up side windows and mirrors.

People are IDIOTS!!!

Lazy people, who are IDIOTS!

posted on Jan, 1 2022 @ 09:06 PM
link   

My fav part of snow on roof and rest of car is letting the wind blow it off...

it makes me feel like a astroid going down the road !! Looks magical and enchanting in the rear view mirror !

One of my fav parts of winter.

posted on Jan, 1 2022 @ 09:36 PM
link   
The ones I hate are the semis.

posted on Jan, 1 2022 @ 09:54 PM
link   
If you drive with that foot of snow on the roof and hit a pothole or snowbank, it can dent the roof or break the windshield. When removing the snow like that from a car, take half off all the way across and then go take the other half, starting at the middle over the windshield and don't crack it loose by prying, it can crack the windshield or break the seal of the windows. Same with shoveling roofs on houses and roofs of campers.

I am a yooper, been shoveling stuff off for over fifty five years, learned from my father how to do it when I was already ten years old. And I have made my mistakes even though I was taught right, I did have some drywall cracks happen and lost a windshield from doing things wrong. Also got big roof dents on vans and cars.

Also if you hit the brakes, the snow can slide on the windshield and break the wipers and also block your vision. I learned that the hard way when I was young, thank god I did not get in an accident. When young, you stretch your luck, once you are twenty five years old, you should have smartened up already. It only takes one time to cause an accident, at fifty five mph a chunk of snow flying off your car can cause great harm to a car behind, and the liability is yours if you are caught, there are cameras in lots of cars these days, they will procecute you if you are found liable for causing a serious accident for failure to shovel off the snow around here. I do see people riding around with a foot of heavy snow on their roofs occasionally, it is usually someone getting beer from the store or some young person who is too lazy to shovel their car off.

posted on Jan, 1 2022 @ 10:46 PM
link   
a reply to: seedofchuckyWhat I like is how some people are inconsiderate of others and maybe don't realize others circumstances. Maybe someone is old and need to get out after a big snowstorm and maybe they barely was able to dig there car out to get to the drugstore and get their much needed meds or even supplies, do they ever think of that?

Buzz of Karens, mind your own!

posted on Jan, 1 2022 @ 10:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: GuitaristRob
a reply to: seedofchuckyWhat I like is how some people are inconsiderate of others and maybe don't realize others circumstances. Maybe someone is old and need to get out after a big snowstorm and maybe they barely was able to dig there car out to get to the drugstore and get their much needed meds or even supplies, do they ever think of that?

Buzz of Karens, mind your own!

That's absolutely ZERO excuse to endanger the lives of others by your own stupidity and ignorance!!!

What about some old person, high on meds, who needs to go to the store and get some more...is that okay with you???

P.S. I've actually witnessed that...and a crash as a result, and a woman who was so F'd up she couldn't even stand! I had to throw her keys in the ditch because she was so insistent on getting her drugs from the pharmacy. She wasn't drunk, she was just high on whatever drugs she had (I know, because I had to go to the court case as a witness to the matter).

So, your "hypothetical" situation to get angry over is complete BS!!! LOL!

posted on Jan, 2 2022 @ 12:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
The ones I hate are the semis.

Ah yes, nothing quite like slippery roads, bad visibility, and a semi blasting through an underpass burying you in snow and ice a highway speeds... While Surrounded by the other idiots who didn't even clear their windows.

Who needs coffee?

posted on Jan, 2 2022 @ 01:26 AM
link   

originally posted by: seedofchucky

My fav part of snow on roof and rest of car is letting the wind blow it off...

it makes me feel like a astroid going down the road !! Looks magical and enchanting in the rear view mirror !

One of my fav parts of winter.
That's ok if it's still dry and loose on top of the car. However, if you haven't driven for a few days and it has had time to get some sun on it and then re-freeze a couple times, then it becomes dangerous and should be removed before driving down the road.

posted on Jan, 2 2022 @ 01:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: GuitaristRob

The people you're describing shouldn't be out and about in those types of weather conditions. It becomes much more dangerous for themselves and for others. They should at least know enough to plan ahead and anticipate situations such as this. You just have to watch the weather forecasts and get the things you know you're going to need, before the snow arrives.

posted on Jan, 2 2022 @ 02:22 AM
link   
I've lived in a lot of places where that few extra hundred pounds of snow made the difference of getting up certain hills. As a full time trucker for 5 years I also get what the OP is saying. Nothing is worse than big chunks of ice rolling off the back of a tractor trailer. That's why you should stay well behind them or get in front of them; whichever is safer.
edit on 2-1-2022 by Asktheanimals because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 2 2022 @ 06:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: Flyingclaydisk
And then there are people who crash into your car, with a 2" hole scraped in their windshield, just above the dash, and iced up side windows and mirrors.

People are IDIOTS!!!

Lazy people, who are IDIOTS!

I will get nervous and uncomfortable when not having al my windows scraped clean.

Thats when al those cyclists without lights magically appear.

i think the Insurance over here will give you the finger as well if there is photographic proof the windows are not cleaned properly.

Thats a lot of potential problems you can secure yourself from with a 5 min chore.

edit on 2-1-2022 by TheGreazel because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 2 2022 @ 08:36 AM
link   

Ummm…dayam…

Good thing I drive trucks…

I need a step ladder to clean the snow off the roof…so…I let the wind…and a high rate of speed take care of that for me…

What’s not to like…?

YouSir

posted on Jan, 2 2022 @ 08:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: crappiekat
Here in Wisconsin it is illegal to not remove snow off your vehicle.

I don't know how much the ticket is, but I have been told it is an expensive fine.

Ummm…so…in the middle of a squall…in bumper to bumper…as the snow builds inches per…

Ima sposed to get out in traffic…and scrape snow…?

OKie doke…

YouSir

posted on Jan, 2 2022 @ 09:26 AM
link   
Hi YouSir. Happy New Year!

Well, I am not a LEO. I imagine they use common sense, and pull over vehicles which they deem unsafe.

If your driving around with 12" of snow on your roof and windows which you clearly cannot see out of, I know I would

pull over and clear my vehicle.

I agree with other posters. If your driving around unsafe regardless of the weather at the time....

Your an idiot.
edit on 2-1-2022 by crappiekat because: (no reason given)

edit on 2-1-2022 by crappiekat because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 2 2022 @ 10:37 AM
link   
a reply to: lordcomac

I wasn't even thinking of that so much as when they have snow and ice caked on top of the trailers and it starts to peel off like large sheets of razor sharp death flying back at the cars behind them.

posted on Jan, 2 2022 @ 10:39 AM
link   
a reply to: YouSir

I've actually been in that situation once.

I got stuck bumper to bumper. It was snowing over an inch an hour. My wipers couldn't keep up, and the traffic was so slow people, like myself, were getting out of their cars and sweeping snow off their windshields.

I drive about 30 minutes. It took me a little over 4 1/2 hours to get home that night.
edit on 2-1-2022 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 2 2022 @ 11:25 AM
link   
a reply to: YouSir

actually, my beef isnt as much with truckers in this weather up here I give them a wide berth, and there are not that many that I see anyways when I am on the road.

At least truckers have a good reason for having it up there.

its family cars, small SUV's people with all that snow on top and windows barely scraped that terrify me.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join