It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Birds Aren’t Real, Or Are They? Inside A Gen Z Conspiracy Theory.

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 20 2021 @ 01:43 AM
link   
www.nytimes.com...

I hadn't heard of this and maybe you haven't either. I found it mildly amusing. It kinda pisses me off when people make light of conspiracies as most don't have a clue what the words conspiracy theory actually mean. Though, this seems to be a reaction to much crazier stuff like QAnon. It's a pretty long article and I've only quoted the beginning of it so have fun.

In Pittsburgh, Memphis and Los Angeles, massive billboards recently popped up declaring, “Birds Aren’t Real.”

On Instagram and TikTok, Birds Aren’t Real accounts have racked up hundreds of thousands of followers, and YouTube videos about it have gone viral.

The events were all connected by a Gen Z-fueled conspiracy theory, which posits that birds don’t exist and are really drone replicas installed by the U.S. government to spy on Americans. Hundreds of thousands of young people have joined the movement, wearing Birds Aren’t Real T-shirts, swarming rallies and spreading the slogan.

It might smack of QAnon, the conspiracy theory that the world is controlled by an elite cabal of child-trafficking Democrats. Except that the creator of Birds Aren’t Real and the movement’s followers are in on a joke: They know that birds are, in fact, real and that their theory is made up.

What Birds Aren’t Real truly is, they say, is a parody social movement with a purpose. In a post-truth world dominated by online conspiracy theories, young people have coalesced around the effort to thumb their nose at, fight and poke fun at misinformation. It’s Gen Z’s attempt to upend the rabbit hole with absurdism.

posted on Dec, 20 2021 @ 01:53 AM
link   
a reply to: TheSpanishArcher

Check that website BirdsArentReal.com. It is obviously a spoof. Read their history page for a chuckle.

birdsarentreal.com...

posted on Dec, 20 2021 @ 01:54 AM
link   
Iv heard this and well lol

Iv killed alot of birds mainly invasive species and not a single one has been a drone

posted on Dec, 20 2021 @ 01:55 AM
link   
When I had my first psychotic break back in 1993 I remember sitting outside my Fathers apartment complex with my boyfriend freaking out that the birds were "acting robotic" and chirping in odd "patterns" that seemed sequenced, and that they had cameras instead of eyes.

This was outside of Orlando a few clicks and I thought Disney might have something to do with it.

I was admitted to inpatient a month later and became an offical Stepford Wife in 2009.

A year later I was on a walk and found the remains of a Cardinal that had been crushed and saw a computer board in the remains.

I didn't get photo evidence because I frankly have seen weirder stuff and I don't really care anymore.

edit on 12/20/21 by GENERAL EYES because: minor addition

posted on Dec, 20 2021 @ 02:05 AM
link   
Birds may not be real, but grouse sure do taste good! I wonder what these kids call the Thanksgiving turkey? Maybe the turkey identifies as a rabbit.

posted on Dec, 20 2021 @ 02:10 AM
link   
a reply to: Rich Z

Thank you!

I now have the pigeon "Birds Aren't Real/I am a Lie" shirt bookmarked for purchase next month.

posted on Dec, 20 2021 @ 03:17 AM
link   
Sounds like you guys would have a field day. I feed my birds every day in my yard. Chickadees blue jays cardinals. Any song bird has been here

posted on Dec, 20 2021 @ 03:25 AM
link   

I think I saw a Tweet about this...on that BIRD thing.

ermergerd...

posted on Dec, 20 2021 @ 03:48 AM
link   
Wasn't "bird" salng for women back in the day?

Maybe it's an inside joke about sasuage fests?

If so, bummer dudes.

posted on Dec, 20 2021 @ 06:47 AM
link   
Certainly not a new conspiracy,
But also one very easily debunked by anyone who wants to go get themselves a bird and take it apart.
Kids these days...

posted on Dec, 20 2021 @ 07:03 AM
link   

People that believe in all that QAnonsense certainly are not ""real"".

posted on Dec, 20 2021 @ 07:12 AM
link   
This bumps the “flat earth” conspiracy up one notch.

posted on Dec, 20 2021 @ 07:32 AM
link   

Two can play at this game.

I'll give em birds aren't real.

If they give me trans girls aren't real, too. Fair mocking is fair here, just depends on how far they initiate taking teh stoopidz.

posted on Dec, 20 2021 @ 07:33 AM
link   
The state bird of New Jersey I was flipped on the Garden State Parkway yesterday was real enough.

posted on Dec, 20 2021 @ 07:37 AM
link   

Hit them over the nut with a frozen Turkey and see how fast reality sinks in after some stitches.

posted on Dec, 20 2021 @ 07:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: andy06shake

Hit them over the nut with a frozen Turkey and see how fast reality sinks in after some stitches.

You mean frozen ROBOTIC turkey, don’t you? They can be deadly 😁

posted on Dec, 20 2021 @ 08:17 AM
link   

It might smack of QAnon, the conspiracy theory that the world is controlled by an elite cabal of child-trafficking Democrats.

Equating elite cabal of child-trafficking democrats to absurdity....

Got it.

And 'democrats' aren't capitalized unless done so on purpose.

Nice try, democrats. I don't waste my time with Q but even I know that's an obvious obfuscation attempt.

Try harder, amateurs pfft.

edit on 20-12-2021 by 19Bones79 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 20 2021 @ 08:21 AM
link   
Cartoons ARE real

posted on Dec, 20 2021 @ 08:28 AM
link   
My cats would have strong opinions regarding birds being real or not.

posted on Dec, 20 2021 @ 08:37 AM
link   
That, my friend is some funny stuff. I had a couple bird 'theories' myself. It never ceases to amaze me this site. One time I 'thought' the birds outside the hospital were drones, when I went outside to 'walk my mind to an easier time'. Except the bird part was a digitized camo. Never thought ALL birds were drones though, only blue heron red tail hybrids. a reply to: GENERAL EYES

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join