It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Your Pet - What Is In A Name?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 16 2021 @ 10:14 AM
link   
Funny true story.

My neighbor's barn cat had kittens. They were looking for homes for them. I was looking for a porch cat around that time, so I ended up with two of them. The first one I took was Enoch.

Enoch came to me with the name of Spot. After about three days, it was annoying that he did not response to his name. My mother said, "I don't like the name Spot." "I wouldn't answer to that name either."

So I told her to choose another name for him. She started calling to him all the names that she liked. He continued laying there on the back of the futon, completely oblivious to us. Out of nowhere the voice in my head said, "Call him Enoch." I said to him, "Enoch", he jerked his head up, looked at me, and ran over and sat down in my lap. My mother said, "Well I guess his name is Enoch."

Fast forward to today.

I got a call from an old friend. She said she had gotten a new dog from the shelter a couple of months ago. The dog came with the name Candy. She said the dog did not come when called, and at first she thought it was because the dog wasn't use to her. After a day or two, she remembered about my experience with Enoch. So she started calling off names to the dog, and suddenly a voice in her head said, "Call her Shelby".

She said she called the dog Shelby, it picked up its head and ran over to her, and has come when she is called ever since.

So, maybe your pet isn't disobedient, maybe you are just calling it outside of its name.

By the way, the other kitten came with the name Sylvester. He looks exactly like the cartoon character Sylvester, and has answered to his name from the moment I got him. So I guess he was named right or he likes his name.

posted on Dec, 16 2021 @ 10:31 AM
link   
I got a cat, was born on a ship and was called “ships cat”, couldn’t call her that because “ships” sounds like another word not conducive to suburbia and the young kids next door, never responded to that name either. Called her “catophatic”, bit of a pun that she didn’t respond to either, just call her “catty cat, cat cat” now, doesn’t respond to that name either
Hangs around for food
Kinda, a bit like me really, don’t care what I am called but will respond to a promise of a good feed

Sadly, now my friends call me by my christian name but x 4, just like I call my cat
Jimmy Jim, Jim Jim, go figure and no, I generally don’t respond unless there is food involved
True storyish

posted on Dec, 16 2021 @ 10:57 AM
link   
a reply to: NightSkyeB4Dawn

Had a cat I called Nemo. Not for the fish but because it's means nameless. I thought it was funny, in a roundabout way, to call him cat.

posted on Dec, 16 2021 @ 11:31 AM
link   
Have three cats, big ginger and white boy called Butterball Brown, he is named after a cat in th Hairy Mclarey choldrens story series. One female black cat with a sprinkle of white on her chest called Moon, and stroppy tabby and her name is Necha, named after friends tabby called Anecha (spelling) and Thai word for love I think. My friend once had a deaf pure white cat with one grern eye and one blue eye named Blank Page, the owner has the same eye colour.

posted on Dec, 16 2021 @ 11:37 AM
link   
What a strange coincidence we inherited a farm cat named Enoch.
My wife's mother used to have a pedigree Siamese Seal Point named Lionel. When Lionel passed on she got a Siamese Blue Point which she named Kenneth as he resembled the late Kenneth Williams and had a similar vocal tone.

posted on Dec, 16 2021 @ 11:41 AM
link   

Fitzgerald and Cornelius...
Aka, Fitz and corny...

Two guinea pigs

posted on Dec, 16 2021 @ 11:41 AM
link   
We once got adopted by a huge Tabby feral who ate so much he soon began to resemble a cannon ball. As a lifelong Rik Mayal I named him Cannonball Taffy O Jones (Known as Taffy) and of course he had a Welsh accent whenever he shouted "You ignorant English Wanker!"

posted on Dec, 16 2021 @ 11:42 AM
link   
I brought home a feral black and white tuxedo kitten from work and my son immediately named him Black Beans, shortened to just Beans or BeanCat. They've been partners ever since, he never protests when the kid is putting costumes on him or taking portraits. He's even got his own Instagram page LOL.

posted on Dec, 16 2021 @ 11:44 AM
link   
For the last cat we had, for choosing the name, we opted for the following procedure; I took a (french) dictionnary, closed my eyes, flipped the pages then put my finger down when it felt right.
My finger pointed to the word "halstatien"

It is about the iron age of the Vikings if I remember right. So the cat got named Halstatien.

It was a good cat with lots of affection to give. Coolest cat I ever had, haha.

posted on Dec, 16 2021 @ 12:00 PM
link   
yes, dogs and cats have their name.

I take some days watching the cat and looking for how it behaves.

then I say to him some names until he likes one.

and that is the name I gave to the cat.

names have a large meaning...

posted on Dec, 16 2021 @ 12:05 PM
link   
The other day there was a thread about your first car, now the name of your pets.
Next, what is your favourite bank account number.😆

posted on Dec, 16 2021 @ 01:01 PM
link   
We had a kitten dropped in our lap a few months ago. His original owners named him "Tofu".

That didn't fit. His original owners had to let him go, after he ate their birds and depopulated their aquarium.

I named him "Nibbler"...

It fit, and he immediately answered to it.

Nibbler is a funny little dude, and we love him. We got him as a foster, and now he is one of the family.

posted on Dec, 16 2021 @ 01:06 PM
link   
a reply to: underpass61

That 9th pic though, if looks could kill

posted on Dec, 16 2021 @ 01:11 PM
link   
8 year old golden-Labrador named Beauregard! He’s my best friend!

posted on Dec, 16 2021 @ 01:33 PM
link   
My current dog came to canada from a shelter in san bernardino, where they had named him Alex. He was kept at a foster home near me for a month before I got him and they fosters called him Varo after a gladiator in a tv show or movie. I liked Alex better but, not only did my kids prefer Varo, but he responded much better to it so that stuck. It suits him, I just find it hard to holler.

posted on Dec, 16 2021 @ 01:45 PM
link   
I have a theory that animals respond better to names with an S sound in it or if their name ends in a Y.

Also, when I get after an animal for doing something I don't want them to do, I say AH! Instead of NO! or BAD!

I think it has something to do with phonetics and pitch and tone, that registers better for animals.

posted on Dec, 16 2021 @ 02:12 PM
link   
Our cats name is Piper, he is blind. My granddaughter left him with us while in an apartment where pets were not allowed and wanted him back when she bought their house. A house without a porch so they could catch the blind cat if it escaped, a house within twentyfive feet of the road with quite a few cars going down it most times of the day. So we told her this, since she stands at the door with the door open talking to people all the time, she decided piper would be safer with us.

Well, Piper doesn't care for his name much, he comes to the word Bacon every time you call it though, and he even knows that we are talking about bacon when we spell it to each other, the name or spelling of it wakes him up if we say it when he is sleeping. He eats between twelve ounces and a pound of it a week, one slice per serving crushed up in a bowl that only bacon goes into except for occasionally some thin sliced deli smoked ham..

posted on Dec, 16 2021 @ 04:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: Hecate666
The other day there was a thread about your first car, now the name of your pets.
Next, what is your favourite bank account number.😆

I am an animal person.

Excuse my sense of humor. I thought it was funny that my friend even remembered the story I told her about Enoch two years ago.

I found it even funnier that she used the same tactic I used on my recalcitrant cat, and that it worked for her.

I know there are a lot of people that don't really care about animals or pets, so my post is probably an annoyance, but for those that have a fondness for animals, I hope it made them smile.

I guess animals know they are welcome on my property because they are always coming to visit. I had two of my neighbors bulls and three of his cow come by on Monday night. They usually go home after the sun sets, but they were still out there when I went to bed around 11pm.

The neighbors always know to make my homestead the first place to visit,when they go to hunt them down.

Dogs, cats, rabbits, wild boar, coyotes, Florida panther, bobcat, turkey, peacocks, flamingos, domesticated pigs, cows, bulls, owls, chickens, guinea hen, all have ended up on my doorstep, at one time or another.

One of the perks, or annoyances, take your pick, of living in the woods.

posted on Dec, 16 2021 @ 04:59 PM
link   
Mine was named Azari by the previous owner , i call her Mauwke touwke or poetje toetje , a mix of silly dutch words.

Mauwke is local dialect for something that complains a lot , because she is very vocal and touwke is local dialect for rope.

Rope because she loves to chew on rope , wires , cables , she bit straight through the cable from my chromecast usb plug in the TV

edit on 16-12-2021 by TheGreazel because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 16 2021 @ 05:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: TheGreazel
Mine was named Azari by the previous owner , i call her Mauwke touwke or poetje toetje , a mix of silly dutch words.

Mauwke is local dialect for something that complains a lot , because she is very vocal and touwke is local dialect for rope.

Rope because she loves to chew on rope , wires , cables , she bit straight through the cable from my chromecast usb plug in the TV

She would have a time with Enoch. He is the loudest one in the pack, and his pack is made up of 4 Huskies, and his brother.

Him and Maxx frequently have duets, of course that means the the rest have to chime into the chorus.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join