It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Startup of a Russian "type 458" gyro block of a MiG-21

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 26 2021 @ 06:51 PM
link   
as stated 40 year old mig 21 gyro start up

not for headphones,

ETA

old teacher video

edit on 26-11-2021 by penroc3 because: better explanation

posted on Nov, 26 2021 @ 07:38 PM
link   
Interesting videos.

I thought all Russian made planes had an attitude indicator. That looks more like an artificial horizon like everyone else uses.

An artificial horizon shows what you would see, the horizon, looking out the front of the plane. An attitude indicator shows what the plane looks like as if you were looking at it from standing on the ground. This has caused many crashes when a pilot changes from one instrument to the other because they move in the opposite direction.The first video does not show roll movement, that is where the difference really shows up.

They could have adapted an artificial horizon to the Russian gyro because they did not have the attitude indacator instrument.
edit on 11 26 2021 by beyondknowledge because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 26 2021 @ 07:50 PM
link   
a reply to: beyondknowledge

if you expand the info under the video(you have to click to open it up), it goes in to the exact equipment and medel numbers is that area.

makes you thankful for laser gyros

posted on Nov, 26 2021 @ 07:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: penroc3
a reply to: beyondknowledge

if you expand the info under the video(you have to click to open it up), it goes in to the exact equipment and medel numbers is that area.

makes you thankful for laser gyros

Thank you. I did not watch it on YouTube the first time. Like I said, they really did not roll the instrument which is what shows the difference.

Switching form one to the other instrument makes you think the plane is rolling the opposite of what it actually is rolling.

posted on Nov, 27 2021 @ 06:46 AM
link   
Brings back memories of ground classes about gyros. What a nightmare lol.

top topics

join