It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Want to buy a house Don't send a Love Letter in Oregon

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 22 2021 @ 11:37 AM
link   
There are a lot of top headlines these days. It's easy to miss the smaller stories.
It's those smaller stories that sometimes can make a much bigger impact long term.

Here's an article I just read this morning.

www.usatoday.com...

A real estate firm seeks to block a new Oregon law that bans real estate agents from forwarding “love letters” from homebuyers to sellers.
Increasingly, the real industry has grown uneasy that "love letters" could violate state and federal fair housing laws by revealing the buyer's race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, marital status or familial status. Many real estate agents refuse to accept or deliver them.

Oh Oregon!
So this law was enacted because they believe it can encourage discrimation but not prove it. So how do you deal with it? You get rid of it.

This law is really stupid. Any owner can look up buyers very easily. If sellers want to discriminate, they can and it would be super easy.
I would say the VAST majority of time, sellers just want the biggest buck, and the best deal. There are times when a seller is emotionally connected to a house and they want a certain kind of people to take over. Maybe they don't want someone to come and bulldoze an old painted lady, etc.

What is wrong with that?

posted on Nov, 22 2021 @ 11:43 AM
link   
a reply to: JAGStorm

When I went to buy my house this year I mentioned to my Realtor if I should write a letter and she said the practice was getting eliminated from the industry for the reasons cited in the article. They said that some brokers and sellers had been sued in the past couple of years for it.

posted on Nov, 22 2021 @ 12:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: JAGStorm
There are a lot of top headlines these days. It's easy to miss the smaller stories.
It's those smaller stories that sometimes can make a much bigger impact long term.

Here's an article I just read this morning.

www.usatoday.com...

A real estate firm seeks to block a new Oregon law that bans real estate agents from forwarding “love letters” from homebuyers to sellers.
Increasingly, the real industry has grown uneasy that "love letters" could violate state and federal fair housing laws by revealing the buyer's race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, marital status or familial status. Many real estate agents refuse to accept or deliver them.

Oh Oregon!
So this law was enacted because they believe it can encourage discrimation but not prove it. So how do you deal with it? You get rid of it.

This law is really stupid. Any owner can look up buyers very easily. If sellers want to discriminate, they can and it would be super easy.
I would say the VAST majority of time, sellers just want the biggest buck, and the best deal. There are times when a seller is emotionally connected to a house and they want a certain kind of people to take over. Maybe they don't want someone to come and bulldoze an old painted lady, etc.

What is wrong with that?

The problem is that it is easy to claim discrimination and something murky like a buyer letter to seller could create a liability.

Real estate industry is under constant surveillance and regulations by woke bureaucrats looking for any appearance of discrimination whether real or imagined.

posted on Nov, 22 2021 @ 12:45 PM
link   
a reply to: Edumakated

Real estate industry is under constant surveillance and regulations by woke bureaucrats looking for any appearance of discrimination whether real or imagined.

I've always been a seller that wants the most $ and easiest transaction.

I've had a couple of realtors that were actually the racist ones. One realtory tried to nudge me away from selling to a lesbian couple even though their offer was significantly better than all others. I told her she was crazy and I was taking it. She was upset because she wanted me to sell to a young newly married couple. She told me she couldn't sleep well at night thinking something might come up from that offer. She was nuts and I would have fired her one the spot if I was able. Don't want to go into it, but I had to use this realtor.

posted on Nov, 22 2021 @ 12:59 PM
link   

The only stipulation for buying my land was no modular or mobile homes.

That being said, it's just as easy for the buyer to look up the seller and send to them directly, no realtor involvement needed. I did that with 2 other pieces of land that are near me, found the person that owned them via tax records and sent them a letter offering tax value on the land. Turns out that he wanted way more than tax value which was 15k and got 45k for them, which is baffling because one of the two sits in a flood plain and is about 2 acres total. My neighbors bought them though and they agree with my way of thinking, buy the land and leave it as unchanged as possible.

posted on Nov, 22 2021 @ 01:01 PM
link   
a reply to: Bunch

This is all super weird. First I think it’s a little strange that homebuyers want to send a letter to the seller but whatever.

Even weirder is that anyone would sue.

This country has gotten so comfortable that this is the kind of silly drama that people have to create because they’re bored.

posted on Nov, 22 2021 @ 01:04 PM
link   

Start using just a lawyer. If you've been through the selling/buying wheel and deal before, a lawyer is cheaper and gets the job done. And you don't have to pretend to be excited when your house sells and your real estate agent sends you a fruit basket. 😂

posted on Nov, 22 2021 @ 01:05 PM
link   
I can't imagine living in any housing market where I have to write a kiss ass letter to a seller to buy a property...

Either they like the financial offer or they don't.

posted on Nov, 22 2021 @ 01:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: Edumakated
I can't imagine living in any housing market where I have to write a kiss ass letter to a seller to buy a property...

Either they like the financial offer or they don't.

I bought my dream house that way. The house wasn't on the market though.

I sent a letter saying, Hey I love your house, if you put it on the market please let me know.

They called me immediately. I got it for 250K less than what it is really worth. It has almost doubled in price in that time.
Sellers were happy, we were happy. It all started with a kiss butt letter ✉

To ensure the deal was sealed, I looked up the owner and his astrological sign and kissed up to his insecurities. It totally worked.

edit on 22-11-2021 by JAGStorm because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 22 2021 @ 01:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: Atsbhct

Start using just a lawyer. If you've been through the selling/buying wheel and deal before, a lawyer is cheaper and gets the job done. And you don't have to pretend to be excited when your house sells and your real estate agent sends you a fruit basket. 😂

I normally do that. For one particular house I had to use a realtor. It was not by choice.

Long story short, Friends did unbelievable favor (life altering), we repaid friends by using their family realtor.
Realtor was an idiot. In the end we made a small fortune, but again, realtor was an idiot.

posted on Nov, 22 2021 @ 02:30 PM
link   
I wrote love letters once.

how young and naive. it didn't work out.

posted on Nov, 22 2021 @ 03:21 PM
link   

Bought my house 2 yrs ago. I actually met the owners and the only reason they accepted my bid which was 5k below asking was because I was a vet. If we didnt meet, they probably would have rejected my bid.

posted on Nov, 22 2021 @ 03:22 PM
link   
Out here in Oregon…math and English are racist, so no testing before graduating.

When we finally decide to turntale and sell…I will NOT sell to ANYONE from California, a “love letter” will be my first clue.

posted on Nov, 22 2021 @ 03:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: JAGStorm

originally posted by: Atsbhct

I normally do that. For one particular house I had to use a realtor. It was not by choice.

Long story short, Friends did unbelievable favor (life altering), we repaid friends by using their family realtor.
Realtor was an idiot. In the end we made a small fortune, but again, realtor was an idiot.

Sometimes you just have to do the thing, lol.

posted on Nov, 22 2021 @ 03:53 PM
link   
a reply to: scraedtosleep

Agreed.

If you're not living in the house after you sell it, who cares who buys it??

When I sold my house, I didn't want to meet 'em. Why? As long as the check clears, why bother?

posted on Nov, 22 2021 @ 04:11 PM
link   

Peak lunacy in Oregon run by a total idiot governor. When I sold my second house in Oregon I got 8 potential buyers along with 5 letters pouring out their heart & soul. Turned into a bidding war. Due to those letters I had a tough time deciding on two of them because emotions got in the way. Race, creed, religion had absolutely nothing to do with my decision. The one I wanted to sell to did not have a stable financial background compared to the other who offered all cash. After the sale, her letter bugged me for weeks. She was a single mom & Army vet. Oh well, it was just business and I didn't have time to wait around on her bank/loan approval. Damn, gov't bureaucrats continuously over-reaching!

posted on Nov, 22 2021 @ 04:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: GeoBricks

Bought my house 2 yrs ago. I actually met the owners and the only reason they accepted my bid which was 5k below asking was because I was a vet. If we didnt meet, they probably would have rejected my bid.

I would sell lower to a Vet too.

posted on Nov, 22 2021 @ 04:29 PM
link   
My first thought on reading this was "isn't any prospective buyer visiting the house first anyway, to see it at first hand and perhaps grill the current owners?" I suppose the necessity of purchasing houses "blind" is one of the side-effects of living in a larger country and working over longer distances.

edit on 22-11-2021 by DISRAELI because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 22 2021 @ 05:57 PM
link   

As one who will be selling and then buying soon....
Ive read that in all states, it is now a huge NO NO to send a personal letter with your offer.
I really don't get it. Its not like you are saying "Im this shade of skin and im this and that...." so that someone could discriminate. I find it bull#, quite frankly.

posted on Nov, 22 2021 @ 06:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: GeoBricks

We bought our house a year ago; we offered 8% above asking; such are the times.

We came to find out that we were not the highest bidder and their realtor didn't like us as a prospective buyer; she thought we would not be able to make the deal happen. So their realtor tried to talk them out of selling to us.

Talking to the sellers before the one open house they had is what got us the house. The sellers liked us.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join