It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How do you folks make dressing ( stuffing ) for your turkey

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 18 2021 @ 11:22 AM
link   
a reply to: musicismagic

Dressing,

Corn Bread, A Whole Boiled Chicken with onions, celery, salt, pepper, garlic,sage, the stock or broth what ever you want to call it from the chicken you boiled.

Corn Bread,
2 Cups Corn meal
1/2 cup flour
1/4 cup sugar
1 Egg
1 to 11/2 cups buttermilk
just a tad of oil in the baking pan to coat and pour excess into mix.
Bake 25 to 30 mins at 400
let cool

Chicken
3 1/2 to 4 cups water, depending on how big chicken is
Cut into quarters to cook faster
1 cup chopped onion not real fine, I like sweet onions, but use your own taste
1 cup chopped celery not real fine, reason for not real fine is you don't want them to cook away to nothing or be way to mushy
1 clove garlic or garlic powder I use powder to taste
2 to 3 table spoons salt
11/2 to 2 table spoons pepper both salt and pepper is per cups of water lower amounts match.
cook 25 to 40 mins or until done at bone, white meat cooks a little faster make sure it's the thigh or leg.
don't use liver hearts or gizzards, some do i don't
remove quarters, Strain for bones and put back pieces of meat and veggie in broth use leave to fat that has boiled out in broth, let quarters cool and de bone if you want i always do easier to handle.

Then Cumble Corn bread in large mixing bowl, add chicken.Then add broth not all of it, to much and it will be soupy, not enough and it will be dry. I always add enough just till i see small little pudldles form on top. You might want to have some sauteed onions and celery just in case yours cooked down to much and add them. I don't brown them just about half cooked.

Mix it all up, and add sage to taste you can taste the mix cause all of it is already cooked. some folks like a lot some like just a tad, after years of making it I know what my family likes.

Bake at 400 for about 30 mins to brown top and when you poke a tooth pick in it not much sticks to it.

Most of my cooking I do by sight and taste and not a whole lot of measuring on the spices and veggies

edit on 18-11-2021 by TomCollin because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 18 2021 @ 01:44 PM
link   
I don't have a personal stuffing recipe, but Sam The Cooking Guy came up in my YT feed...

A complete Thanksgiving dinner. He does something different with the turkey at the beginning.

If you only want to see his stuffing/dressing recipe, go to the 16 mins. mark.

For gravy, using the neck and spine, go to 21 mins. in.

posted on Nov, 18 2021 @ 02:28 PM
link   

Is it weird that I make everything from scratch scratch, like the gravy, the pies, the potatoes,

But..............

I use Stove Top Stuffing.

I just love it. It is perfect and I like it better than almost every single home made version.
Yes I'm weird.

posted on Nov, 18 2021 @ 03:10 PM
link   
Does anyone make 'filling balls', filling being an alternative term for stuffing where I grew up in Pennsylvania.
You make the stuffing and press it into balls, then bake them in an open pan in the oven until the tops are crunchy and brown.

The PA Dutch make a mix of mashed potatoes and stuffing and bake it in a casserole dish. They call it 'potato filling'. Here is a recipe: a coal cracker in the kitchen

posted on Nov, 18 2021 @ 03:45 PM
link   
a reply to: Encia22

Oh, he spatchcocks it and butterflies it? That's how we do our turkey. We dry brine overnight, then sparchcock it, apply an herb rub up under the skin, and butterfly and roast, butter basting every 30 min or so.

It cooks quickly, evenly, and the skin comes out very crispy.

posted on Nov, 18 2021 @ 03:51 PM
link   
One medium large onion, four stocks of celery chopped, a tad bit of water and a stick of butter in a saucepan. Add about a teaspoon of sage, half a teaspooon of rosemary, some thyme....or just get some poultry seasoning. A teaspoon or more of salt, depending on how salty the bread chunks are, and about a half teaspoon of black pepper.Simmer for about fifteen minutes.

Break up about a half a loaf or more of bread into chunks and put on a three quarter sheet pan in the oven to dry out at two hundred to two fifty degrees for half an hour. Add the mixture above to the bread chunks and stir in, then some milk sprinkled in to make it still a tiny bit dry but not too wet.

Now sage strength and even poultry seasoning can have way different strengths, ingredients are far from being equal in taste. So you have to taste it and I cannot give people examples of how it tastes in this writing, I teach the kids by giving them samples of it at certain points.

posted on Nov, 18 2021 @ 04:11 PM
link   
I like San Antonio style Jalapeño cornbread dressing.
There is a good recipe at allrecipes.com

Jalapeno Cornbread Dressing

posted on Nov, 18 2021 @ 05:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: rickymouse
One medium large onion, four stocks of celery chopped, a tad bit of water and a stick of butter in a saucepan. Add about a teaspoon of sage, half a teaspooon of rosemary, some thyme....or just get some poultry seasoning. A teaspoon or more of salt, depending on how salty the bread chunks are, and about a half teaspoon of black pepper.Simmer for about fifteen minutes.

Break up about a half a loaf or more of bread into chunks and put on a three quarter sheet pan in the oven to dry out at two hundred to two fifty degrees for half an hour. Add the mixture above to the bread chunks and stir in, then some milk sprinkled in to make it still a tiny bit dry but not too wet.

Now sage strength and even poultry seasoning can have way different strengths, ingredients are far from being equal in taste. So you have to taste it and I cannot give people examples of how it tastes in this writing, I teach the kids by giving them samples of it at certain points.

I know about poultry seasoning, but can't find it here. So will just sage do it or will I need other spices ?

posted on Nov, 18 2021 @ 06:03 PM
link   

If you do a Google search for homemade poultry seasoning, you will find a plethora of recipes so you can make up some of your own.

Here are my results.

posted on Nov, 18 2021 @ 07:08 PM
link   
You need sage!!

Stuff the bird, or not. Crans, nuts, shrooms, sausage,… it doesn’t matter if you do not use fresh aage!

Just a little, but it has to be fresh. And as the dressing (outside the bird, on the side but i heard they have a tube that goes through everything and works well).

And butter. Personally, i like the bread version but corn bread works well as long as it is cubed.

Sage, parsley and rosemary are tastes of Thanksgiving!!

🦃

posted on Nov, 18 2021 @ 09:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: musicismagic

originally posted by: rickymouse

I know about poultry seasoning, but can't find it here. So will just sage do it or will I need other spices ?

There are basically three types of poultry seasoning here. I have all of the ingredients to make two of them. For the one we like, it is like two parts sage, one part finely ground rosemary, and a half part thyme. I spent some time doing research and testing so I could lower the different spices we stock so the wife and I did some hacking of different combos to make our own. I have not yet found a suitable recipe for Lawrys seasoning salt yet, so I still stock that plus I like the taste of Lawrys garlic salt.

I bought a pound of organic sage last fall, and a pound of black frontier organic ground black pepper and a pound of organic parsley leaf. All three were under fifteen bucks a pound when we bought them. I do get them bulk then I give the daughters and granddaughters bottles or bags of stuff. Got some good seasalt in a twenty five pound bag too, it tastes almost as good as the Himilayan sea salt at about a buck thirty a pound. Special order at the food coop we belong to, they quit stocking bulk sea salt and the one they had stocked before was better tasting than any of the others that they sell by the prepackaged types except for the himilayan. Twenty five pounds is not hard, we put it all in quart glass mason jars, we got lots of those.

I think that Sage, rosemary, and thyme should all be available there. We get the common sage, the one used usually for cooking, that is the flavor I grew up with. I tried other types of sage and some taste pretty good, but there seems to be half a dozen of different spices in the sages, one even is minty and I have no idea what kind of food you would put that in. I also buy a sage plant every year, outside all summer and on the windowsill in the kitchen in the winter...small planters. That is one plant where you can use the leaves that die and dry out in soups.

posted on Nov, 18 2021 @ 10:25 PM
link   
Keep in mind, I also do some conventional type stuffing for people who are allergic to shellfish.

1 Pound of Crab meat
2 6 ounce packs of peppers, (I use the red, orange, and green multi-color packs. )
3 2 16 ounce bags of non seasoned bread dressing, (pepperidge farms, or equiv).
4 1 quart, (or more just in case of dryness), chicken broth
5 3 of the packs of real bacon bits, (the soft ones.. ).
6 Old Bay Seasoning.
7 Regular box of saltines, just in case you underestimate the moistness of the mix you make.
8 2 cans of Cream of Mushroom soup

Sorry, there are no real measurments here, but I pretty much cook (EVERYTHING), by feel, and for lack of a better definition, when the mix looks right.

Once all of it is mixed, Oven at 350 for 45-50 minutes. Served as a side. It is the only dressing that I've made, that doesn't have leftovers.
I also do mozerella meatballs. (yes, for thanksgiving... don't judge). that are pretty popular on thanksgiving.

posted on Nov, 19 2021 @ 01:36 AM
link   
a reply to: metallion

Thanks
Looks good.

<< 1   >>

join