It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Study finds potential link between humidity levels and suicide

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 16 2021 @ 12:40 PM
link   

Heat and humidity . . . could be linked to a rise in suicide

according to a scientific report that used data from 60 countries over several decades

the link could be a result of the body’s difficulty with regulating temperature in humid environments

“the shock of going from colder temperatures to extreme temperatures” can be “dangerous to mental health.”

Source
Journal Article

I came across this interesting article today about a long-term research study across several decades and 60 countries that seems to find a link between humidity and suicide rates, or otherwise negative mental health effects. I think it's spot on and I agree 100%.

I live in Pennsylvania. I've lived here for the majority of my life. If you're not familiar with Pennsylvania, it gets plenty cold enough to snow. I personally find cold weather comfortable. My body doesn't handle heat well. Rather, my body seems to be attuned to cold weather. In fact, I used to go out in winter to shovel snow and I'd get so warm that I'd end up shoveling the snow in shorts and a t-shirt, and it felt amazing. When it's cold outside, if you get too warm you can simply remove a layer or two of clothing. If you get too cold, you can simply put a layer or two back on. Cold hands? Wear some gloves. Cold head? Wear a hat. It's very easy to maintain a comfortable body temperature in cold weather.

Now, like I said I've spent most of my life in Pennsylvania, and would be comfortable enough in the cold to shovel snow in shorts and a t-shirt. However, I once had to move to and live in Florida for 5 years. I completely relate to this article pointing out that the shock to the body of going from cold temperatures to extreme temperatures can effect mental health. I felt like I was in Hell. My body felt disgustingly horrible every single day in a way I don't even know how to describe, and I couldn't escape it. It's not like cold weather where you can simply put something on or take something off - you're just trapped inside your body. I think the entirety of those 5 years were the most depressed I've ever felt in my life, specifically because of how horrible my body felt in the heat and humidity. I swore to myself I would never step foot back in that state again. I'd rather die.

I don't think it's a coincidence that I heard the phrase "the heat down here makes people crazy" several times while I was there.
edit on 11/16/2021 by trollz because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 16 2021 @ 12:43 PM
link   
I can tell you that when we moved from FL to MI, I became MUCH happier overnight, and weather had a hell of a LOT to do with it. And still does. Climates & their seasons matter -- they do greatly impact us, and so does the humidity in particular. People think it's BS, but people turn into punchy-slappy or short-tempered dicks the hotter & more humid it gets, we ALL observe that every single summer.

posted on Nov, 16 2021 @ 12:51 PM
link   
There is a definite link between three hundred inches of snow a year and suicide. You are too busy shoveling snow all the time to have time to even think about killing yourself... But heart attacks from shoveling are common up here. So it balances out.

I suppose for some people hot and humid weather does depress them more. Up here, hot weather is rare, so humid or not Yoopers are less apt to kill themselves when it is nice out.

posted on Nov, 16 2021 @ 12:59 PM
link   
I live in florida, I hate the winter and the cold. Give me 98° and 90% humidity every day of the year.

posted on Nov, 16 2021 @ 01:01 PM
link   
a reply to: trollz

It's a shame they didn't explain how AC works. That may have helped you out a good bit. I go inside when it's really hot. Or to the beach. It's supposed to be hot there. But enjoy your snow. I hear it can be horrible if it collects on your roof too much.

posted on Nov, 16 2021 @ 01:04 PM
link   
Interesting to be sure!

I often feel the urge to self-delete when swimming or visiting Louisiana

posted on Nov, 16 2021 @ 01:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: Mark08
I live in florida, I hate the winter and the cold. Give me 98° and 90% humidity every day of the year.

Nah, I'll take 65* & about 40% humidity -- end of January/early February is about the only time that god-forsaken state cools off at all. Up here, it's weeks and weeks of niceness.

I'd rather layer up than hit the brick wall of cooling down -- you can ONLY get so naked before people call the cops.

posted on Nov, 16 2021 @ 01:31 PM
link   
You people are gullible. Literally the first sentence of the abstract reads “Empirical evidence suggests that the effects of anthropogenic climate change, and heat in particular, could have a significant impact on mental health.“

It then goes to contradict itself with the last sentence of the abstract with “Further research is needed to provide a larger and more consistent basis for epidemiological studies; to understand better the connections among heat, humidity and mental health; and to explore in more detail which population groups are particularly impacted and why.”

You really don’t see how you are being played. Really. Like, you seriously don’t see the blatant manipulation.

Here. From the introduction. “While correlations uncovered do not directly imply causation, this indicator supports understanding and analysis of the effects that heat-humidity combinations might have on mental health. This aids further research while deepening understandings of connections between climate change and mental health.”

Or...”Fifth, some scholars suggest that ‘climate anxiety’ links to mental ill health through manifestations such as “solastalgia” (distress related to environmental change)37,38 and “ecoanxiety”, “ecodepression” and “ecoanger” (worrying about the environment)39,40.”

They are pushing an agenda, if it was real science, they would address direct manipulation of the environment by means of geoengineering as a factor, along with micro plastics and commonly used chemicals in agricultural and manufacturing that we all ingest directly or indirectly, which do indeed have negative impacts on both the physiological and psychological well-being of humans.

posted on Nov, 16 2021 @ 01:38 PM
link   

I moved from the Midwest to Florida. Lived in Florida for 4ish years.
It literally took me the entire time to acclimate to the weather. When I was finally acclimated we had to move back up!!
It took a lot less time to get used to the cold. Sometimes it’s too cold and depressing.
I think the cold is depressing, but the heat makes people crazy!

posted on Nov, 16 2021 @ 02:22 PM
link   
a reply to: JAGStorm
65°? That's too cold for me. We have this new invention here in florida, it's called air conditioning. If you get too hot just go inside. I work out side all summer and I wouldn't live anywhere else.

posted on Nov, 16 2021 @ 02:26 PM
link   
We had a a guy from our company come from from Arizona to Florida. He said oh I know what hot is. At 103p am he looked like like he was about to get sick and pass out. 112° and dry is waaaaay cooler than 95° and 99% humidity.

posted on Nov, 16 2021 @ 02:30 PM
link   

65°? That's too cold for me. We have this new invention here in florida, it's called air conditioning. If you get too hot just go inside. I work out side all summer and I wouldn't live anywhere else.

I always had air conditioning. The problem is going in and out and just doing basic things outside. When it is close to 100 in Florida and that humidity kicks in…

If 65 is too cold for you, you’d hate February here, there were times it was -38 with windchill and the schools ONLY cancelled school because the buses wouldn’t start!!!! They don’t close it for snow, ever.

posted on Nov, 16 2021 @ 02:31 PM
link   
I wouldn't live in a place like that if it was free

posted on Nov, 16 2021 @ 02:35 PM
link   
a reply to: Nyiah

The problem we have up here though, is depression in the winter months. Dark all the time. I think they did a study a while back about places like Alaska and depression/suicide.

Personally, I'd rather have the heat. Drives me crazy when people complain about the little bit we actually get here.

8 months of the year, I love this state.

posted on Nov, 16 2021 @ 02:52 PM
link   

Aw (SNIP) somebody warn all the people who go to the sauna and jump in to frozen waters after.

posted on Nov, 16 2021 @ 02:56 PM
link   

I wouldn't live in a place like that if it was free

Yes it's COLD, Freeeezing. You know what else, it is absolutely drop dead gorgeous.
It is also not that populated. Winter is literally like half the year, then spring summer and fall make up the other half.
One day of fall is worth more than a whole year of summer in Florida.

posted on Nov, 16 2021 @ 03:38 PM
link   
Here in the mile high Rockies, I can only describe it as....Paradise.

posted on Nov, 16 2021 @ 04:15 PM
link   
a reply to: Nyiah

Same reaction for us, but going the other way: Michigan to Florida. Give me the heat and humidity.

And I knew plenty of people who turned into incorrigible dicks when it got cold and snow covered, especially the wet, heavy, PITA to shovel snow.

posted on Nov, 16 2021 @ 04:17 PM
link   

I can definately attest to this. I detest humidity. Have no air con so when the west aussie summer arrives, being from English stock, I suffer, and I don't suffer it well. But as being from English stock, I winge about the cold, too. Heh.. give me a rainy day over a saucepan summer, though, any time.

top topics

join