It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Special Purpose Unmanned Rifle - SPUR

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 15 2021 @ 02:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: yuppa

Did you know thermal blankets can be fashioned into clothing that GASP!!! hides body heat from Cameras? Shocking i know! And that with a metal wrench and a transformer you can cause a EMP in a local area if it explodes?

All tech has weaknesses to be exploited. Civies are not going to have access to microwave jammers or lasers though. Now 50 cal AP rounds thats another story.

Yeah it hides the heat, somewhat. Of course you can't use thermal blankets below 60F, they don't do a good enough job of hiding the heat. That leaves you a limited amount of time before the wearer passes out from heat exhaustion.

It's easier to get a laser than you think. No you're not going to burn through the robot, but, you can disable it's optical sensors. Don't count microwave jammers out of the equation. Look at sites like Sparkfun. It will blow your mind what you can get there. I'm messing around with their LIDAR package.

posted on Oct, 15 2021 @ 03:22 PM
link   
I like this one better, though it's probably fake

posted on Oct, 15 2021 @ 03:24 PM
link   
Ironically Terminator debuted in...1984!!!!

So 2021-2022 is getting a TWO FOR!!

Terminator movie and 1984 book!!!

I feel special, like they love me, they really really love me!!

a reply to: network dude

edit on 15-10-2021 by UnRepentantHarlequin because: “Came out” has a whole new meaning now-a trans killing AI

posted on Oct, 15 2021 @ 03:49 PM
link   
a reply to: MDDoxs

I’ll take 2 please

posted on Oct, 15 2021 @ 06:13 PM
link   

As someone quite familiar with the technology, this advancement scares the dickens out of me.

It's not AI that worries me; we do not have true AI. What we have is sophisticated decision making without any morals or thought, all controlled by a human via EM waves. The whole thing is constructed from semiconductors, which can be quite fragile in certain circumstances.

What this device could be told to do, and which it would do without question, is to attack every heat source that matched a human profile. OK, that would be good (militarily speaking) in a few specific circumstances (wipe out the enemy), but very, very, very few! Now, what happens if that command is executed en route to the enemy, when it is surrounded by friendly troops? Oopsy... that's one heck of a lot of "friendly fire" going on right there.

Same if there is a breakdown in the circuitry and the device receives a bad command that just so happens to match the command to kill. It's a machine; it does not know nor understand the difference between killing people and not. All it knows is that a signal was sent to fire when a target was located.

Even worse, even scarier to me is the possibility that this not the end of this particular reach of technology. We have an awful lot of people convinced beyond a shadow of a doubt that actual AI exists. I know better; AI is just a routine, a program, that mimics intelligent responses based on sensory input. There is no forethought, no emotion, no comprehension of the situation. It operates just like pressing the gas pedal in your car: the car goes faster. No thought, no intelligence; the car goes faster.

But public opinion could have some scientists so eager to make a name for themselves by implementing "AI" so far as the public is concerned, they could (likely will at some point) give this thing autonomy. Yes, that's right, scientists are as human as anyone else, and thy crave admiration just like everyone else. Anyone remember the Star Trek original series episode "The Doomsday Machine"? It was a planet killer, and it was indestructible, from another galaxy and another war, long since forgotten, but still carrying out its mission with utter efficiency against planets its builders never even knew existed. A group of these machines, designed to be autonomous, could wreak havoc and absolute devastation on a peaceful population and being machines, never even realize what they are doing.

I'm actually working on a group intelligence robot force capable of some self-autonomy to accomplish programmed tasks. I designed it for use in space exploration, natural disasters, and yes, for military reconnaissance. However, when the idea of including self-defense mechanisms began to pop into my head, I immediately dismissed any thought of arming them! The potential for devastation is far too high.

Yeah, redneck is scared, and not a lot of things scare me. I'm good with "guns don't kill people; people kill people." I don't ever want to see a world where guns can and do kill people. That should scare any sane person.

TheRedneck

posted on Oct, 15 2021 @ 08:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: JIMC5499

Did you know thermal blankets can be fashioned into clothing that GASP!!! hides body heat from Cameras? Shocking i know! And that with a metal wrench and a transformer you can cause a EMP in a local area if it explodes?

All tech has weaknesses to be exploited. Civies are not going to have access to microwave jammers or lasers though. Now 50 cal AP rounds thats another story.

Yeah it hides the heat, somewhat. Of course you can't use thermal blankets below 60F, they don't do a good enough job of hiding the heat. That leaves you a limited amount of time before the wearer passes out from heat exhaustion.

It's easier to get a laser than you think. No you're not going to burn through the robot, but, you can disable it's optical sensors. Don't count microwave jammers out of the equation. Look at sites like Sparkfun. It will blow your mind what you can get there. I'm messing around with their LIDAR package.

All true. like i said all tech has a weakness,that includes the thermal absorbing blanket/silver stuff. during the day time is when to move against things using heat sensing though in a desert environment,where the surroundings are hotter than the human body. each environment has its own plus and minuses on what works.

posted on Oct, 16 2021 @ 05:12 AM
link   
a reply to: Kreeate

That's definitely a render but it's a cool design for sure. Notice the wheels on the leg joints?

Still though, this tech is a bad idea.

posted on Oct, 16 2021 @ 06:26 AM
link   

posted on Oct, 16 2021 @ 09:04 AM
link   
a reply to: yuppa

First time I read about thermal blankets being ineffective bellow 60F.
I've seen enough vids imaging a completely black spot with zero heat emission including winter time. In fact any clothing did the job. It may have been mylar tho. The space blanket is made of plastic and plastic can get warm from the person under it. If you have the coating inside this could be the case. It doesnt reflect 100% either. You can actually see through it. It's still so good that it could expose your location for having no heat signature. Also metal reflects radar waves so a good enough weapon system could scan you twice like predator helmet and boom. BTW I watched couple of examples, including footage from Afghanistan shooting range where simple vegetation provided perfect concealment. Pretty much any tarp/ damp tarp could do the trick
edit on 16/10/2021 by PapagiorgioCZ because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 16 2021 @ 12:39 PM
link   
Tom Clancys The Division 2 did it better.
The Black Tusk Warhounds are crazy awesome.

posted on Oct, 16 2021 @ 02:29 PM
link   
a reply to: ADVISOR

DOOM 3 sentry has to be in the top 3. The machine gun, the low center of gravity.
It communicates in kind of universal bird language. The game was ahead of time.
It's in the top 3 for me and I dont remember the other two

posted on Oct, 16 2021 @ 02:51 PM
link   
a reply to: TheRedneck

I believe that people should be genuinely concerned about this stuff.

I also believe that robots will be the main force multiplier used if things really got.. interesting in the world.

In response to the OP:
People dont really seem to understand how a lot of this works, or where the technology is at either.

How the sensory environment works for these weapons is a very diverse network of every asset on the field. Its not a matter of taking out "sensors" on a single unit. The environmental awareness is made up of a mesh of a variety of tools, from sensors on the individual unit (robot, human, vehicle, etc) to satellite and air support. As well as civilian units from cell phones to refrigerators and car cameras.

Jamming signals gets a bit closer, but the military isnt exactly ignorant to the nature, tactics, and strategy of EW.

How it will work is this:

In an actual strike, a highly maneuverable manufacturing node will be deployed in a given location. These mini-factories will build a few different models of robots, to provide full spectrum dominance. This will include ground, heavy armor, and air units that can be outfitted with a variety of different tools, weapons, and the like. These factories will quickly replace lost units and the individual units are largely disposable.

An example loadout for a small scenario (i.e. taking over a smaller building) will be maybe half a dozen "dog" type robots with a few situation specific weapon builds. This might be complemented by one heavy unit that can do everything from provide cover to carry artillery or heavy weapons. In the air, there will be a swarm of maybe a dozen or two drones that will provide everything from connectivity and battlefield awareness to the ability to swarm a target with explosives (kamikaze style).

After the battle, the robots remain in the area and provide long term suppression of any opposition. This will be done through things like biometrics connected to social media scores. They will also control access to resources like food from supermarkets and police energy use in residences.

Now, these technologies can be deployed without actual warfare too, and that is critically important. This will be accomplished by selling the public on the notion that it is "necessary" in order to return to normalcy. Typically with the subtext of "The Virus," struggling supply chains, shortages, etc. So, something like transportation of goods will be shifted over to fully automated technologies (like ships, trucking) under the premise that "it needs to happen for society to continue functioning" and potentiated by the occasional manufactured emergency.

So, the concept here goes much further than just the military, and just because something doesnt have overt weaponry it doesnt mean it cant accomplish many of the same things. The goal is to build a global military, economic, infrastructure, and social force that is built on a backbone of centrally controlled automation (not actual AI, regardless of what they call it). With this, it is the first time in human history that the top tier of the power structure doesnt actually require meaningful support from the general population in any way, shape, or form.

They can just build an army of economic, infrastructure, social, and military robotic & automated weapons to do it all for them. Initially, this will be a force multiplier of the folks that do buy into it, typically with religious fervor. However, it will gain the ability to disconnect from even that, not shortly thereafter.

Everything from information itself to police to food control to access to education and medical care can be weaponized to gain compliance through a massive network of subjugation that enables a relatively small group of people to exert power like never before.

I would expect all of this within the next 10-15 years or so.

Of course, it ends up creating a world that is worse for that small group of people & organizations too.. But they are just as trapped in the Story as anyone else :O Basically, they are creating a worse world based on an ages old lust for power and control, and have succumbed to their own non-theistic religious indoctrination (outlined in depth by Agenda 21/30, World Economic Forum, "Sustainable Development Goals," etc).
edit on 16-10-2021 by Serdgiam because: Squirrel rebel

posted on Oct, 16 2021 @ 04:01 PM
link   
I want it with jaws with shark teeth.

I can just see the trespasser hearing something behind him and seeing the jaws opening and closing with a clacking sound.
Likely, the trespasser would need to clean his shorts after getting away.

posted on Oct, 16 2021 @ 04:03 PM
link   
a reply to: PapagiorgioCZ

I bought that game on release, the frame rates were horrible on a high end PC.

I still have it somewhere. Will it run on Windows 10?

posted on Oct, 16 2021 @ 06:50 PM
link   
a reply to: Wide-Eyes

Probably if you right click the .exe and play about with the compatibility tab.

posted on Oct, 16 2021 @ 10:14 PM
link   
there's another thread on this, but ill mention it here as well, hope no one else has as I barely skimmed this one, just found it interesting the similarity between this round and the round that killed Kennedy.the 6.5 carcanna. Interesting because of the rounds behavior. Maybe the dogbot acts eratic too.a reply to: MDDoxs

posted on Oct, 19 2021 @ 10:09 AM
link   
Just saw the typo, Carcano..6.5x52? Still, odd choice, guess they aren't designed with salvage in mind. Who is going to have spare ammo that will fit that contraption? who knows.a reply to: MDDoxs

posted on Oct, 19 2021 @ 04:55 PM
link   
Yeah. This. Will. End. Well. *gulp*

a reply to: TheRedneck

posted on Oct, 20 2021 @ 11:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: JIMC5499

All true. like i said all tech has a weakness,that includes the thermal absorbing blanket/silver stuff. during the day time is when to move against things using heat sensing though in a desert environment,where the surroundings are hotter than the human body. each environment has its own plus and minuses on what works.

A cable technician told me mirrors can hinder network transmission, due to the metal backing on the backend. Hypothetically, could a body length mirror block heat signature, or would the heat radiate around it?

top topics

<< 1   >>

join