It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why Russians don’t cut the hair of children under one year old

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 11 2021 @ 04:38 AM
link   
Russians, like other peoples, have many traditions and signs. One of them is not to cut your child's hair until one year old. I want to give you three different explanations from three points of view about the reasons.

1. Pagan explanation
In ancient Russia, it was believed that hair had special power. It was they, according to the conviction of the Slavs, who connected a person with higher powers. Therefore, up to a certain age, the haircut was under the strictest ban, otherwise be prepared for trouble and an unhappy future.

In addition, it was believed that the mind and potential of a person is contained in the hair. And cutting them off before a year was simply dangerous - the likelihood of raising a not very smart child was too high.

In addition, in the past, the mortality rate of children was much higher. It was believed that a child in the first year of his life looks closely at his family, parents, home and decides whether to stay or not. And if the kid chose the first one, it was allowed to "experiment" with his appearance. He was, as it were, tonsured into a family, of which he became a full-fledged member.

2. Christian explanation
In Christian Russia, such a seemingly pagan tradition has not died. The child's hair still had to remain intact for up to a year. And on the first birthday of the baby, a "midwife" was usually invited. This was the name given to women who were giving birth. And it was the one who helped the baby to be born, according to legends, had to cut off the first fluff from the head. Then the curls were tied with a red ribbon and removed behind the icon in the red corner of the house. Such a rite provided protection from the machinations of the devil and doomed the child to a happy life.

3. Modern explanation
Do not think that the ancestors were stupid and invented prohibitions on everything. It is not recommended to cut a child under one year old even now. But, of course, this warning is explained in a completely different way.

Modern experts say that cutting hair and even nails for a baby is a great stress. The fact is that the baby perceives itself as a whole. That is, the hair, according to the child, is part of the head. And in adulthood, it is difficult to cope with your fear that you will not only trim the ends of your hair, but cut half of their length. And it is completely difficult for a baby to explain that you are not depriving him of his hair forever.

Some parents may even believe in folk signs if, for example, a child suddenly falls ill after this procedure. But illness can be a completely natural response to stress. Everything will depend on the organism.

Of course, each child's hair is individual and cannot obey general rules. Someone is born with a light fluff, and someone with a real hairstyle that you want to immediately put in order. But still, modern medicine advises parents to at least overcome the milestone of 2 months, and then start a haircut.

Thanks.

posted on Oct, 11 2021 @ 04:54 AM
link   
a reply to: RussianTroll

We do the same here in the UK.

Possibly worth keeping in mind babies cant sit up right until around age 6 months and a lot of them lose much of their hair after being born due to a shift in hormones.

posted on Oct, 11 2021 @ 04:56 AM
link   
We didnt cut our child hair simply because they looked cuter with longer hair.

However when the time came for the first cut, lots of screaming and wriggling occurred. It definitely caused stress.

posted on Oct, 11 2021 @ 05:03 AM
link   

I thought Russian babies were born with haircuts?!?

posted on Oct, 11 2021 @ 05:28 AM
link   
The mental association between "growing hair" and physical strength is certainly very ancient and world-wide. It lies behind the story of Samson.

posted on Oct, 11 2021 @ 05:33 AM
link   

originally posted by: Vector99

Then I was probably born with a mustache and goatee beard)))

posted on Oct, 11 2021 @ 05:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: RussianTroll

originally posted by: Vector99

Then I was probably born with a mustache and goatee beard)))

probably?

edit on 11-10-2021 by Vector99 because: forgot the beer

posted on Oct, 11 2021 @ 07:26 AM
link   
I would've assumed that since so much body heat escapes from the top of the head...hair was left long to keep baby warmer on those cold Russian winter days and nights.
edit on 11-10-2021 by IAMTAT because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 11 2021 @ 07:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: Nexttimemaybe
However when the time came for the first cut, lots of screaming and wriggling occurred. It definitely caused stress.

Ever hear of Zip-Ties?

posted on Oct, 11 2021 @ 08:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

originally posted by: Nexttimemaybe

Ever hear of Zip-Ties?

SpongeBob Duct Tape...Kids love it!

posted on Oct, 11 2021 @ 08:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: IAMTAT
SpongeBob Duct Tape...Kids love it!

"He lives in a pineapple under the sea while your kids live under the floor boards in the kitchen!"

posted on Oct, 11 2021 @ 08:56 AM
link   

In Russia. . . hair cuts you!

I'll leave now

posted on Oct, 11 2021 @ 09:00 AM
link   
Joe Biden keeps his leg hair long for the liddle kiddies too.

posted on Oct, 11 2021 @ 09:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: DISRAELI
The mental association between "growing hair" and physical strength is certainly very ancient and world-wide. It lies behind the story of Samson.

And that’s really silly as Samson got his strength from God, not his hair
Another story people have failed to see the meaning behind

posted on Oct, 11 2021 @ 09:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: Raggedyman

originally posted by: DISRAELI

And that’s really silly as Samson got his strength from God, not his hair
Another story people have failed to see the meaning behind

Each hero has a weak point. Samson has hair, Achilles has a heel, Siegfried has a shoulder blade, etc. If they did not have weak points, they would become like God. Therefore, God did it)))

posted on Oct, 11 2021 @ 10:21 AM
link   
a reply to: Raggedyman
The hair in Samson.s case was a visual aid, made possible by the fact that the mental asociation already existed.
Ordinary Nazitites (Numbers ch6) let their hair grow until the end of their vow, then cut it off and threw it on the sacrifice. In other words, "the growing of hair" was always an essential part of the comiitment.

edit on 11-10-2021 by DISRAELI because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 11 2021 @ 10:54 AM
link   

Then the curls were tied with a red ribbon and removed behind the icon in the red corner of the house. Such a rite provided protection from the machinations of the devil and doomed the child to a happy life.

Hello my Russian friend. I have two questions for you:

I find it very curious that Russians have a red corner in their house.

What is this "red corner" in the house? Is a corner of the house painted red or something? What is the significance or reason behind a red corner in the house?

Also, maybe something lost in the translation...

But, why do you say "Doomed" to a happy life. Doomed means bad usually... Or is that "Russian Humor"?

Держи нос морковкой

posted on Oct, 11 2021 @ 11:03 AM
link   

originally posted by: ByteChanger

Then the curls were tied with a red ribbon and removed behind the icon in the red corner of the house. Such a rite provided protection from the machinations of the devil and doomed the child to a happy life.

Hello my Russian friend. I have two questions for you:

I find it very curious that Russians have a red corner in their house.

What is this "red corner" in the house? Is a corner of the house painted red or something? What is the significance or reason behind a red corner in the house?

Also, maybe something lost in the translation...

But, why do you say "Doomed" to a happy life. Doomed means bad usually... Or is that "Russian Humor"?

Держи нос морковкой

Hello my friend!
The red corner in any Russian house is the corner of the living room, mostly facing east, where the icons are located. When any person enters the house, he first of all looks for a red corner with his eyes to cross himself on the icons.

The word “doomed” does not carry any emotional burden. This means that God decided so, and a person must submit to this in any case. Russians don't believe in circumstances. which make a person do this or that act. Russians in such cases say "doomed". obeying the will of God.

I hope I have correctly explained the meaning and essence of these words. Thanks.

posted on Oct, 11 2021 @ 11:10 AM
link   

Hello my friend!
The red corner in any Russian house is the corner of the living room, mostly facing east, where the icons are located. When any person enters the house, he first of all looks for a red corner with his eyes to cross himself on the icons.

The word “doomed” does not carry any emotional burden. This means that God decided so, and a person must submit to this in any case. Russians don't believe in circumstances. which make a person do this or that act. Russians in such cases say "doomed". obeying the will of God.

I hope I have correctly explained the meaning and essence of these words. Thanks.

I understand better now. Thank you for explaining that to me.

posted on Oct, 11 2021 @ 12:26 PM
link   

[The word “doomed” does not carry any emotional burden. This means that God decided so, and a person must submit to this in any case. Russians don't believe in circumstances. which make a person do this or that act. Russians in such cases say "doomed". obeying the will of God.

I suggest "fated" as a better translation.
The Anglo-Saxon word "doom" means the same thing as "fate", but now "doom" has acquired negative overtones. "Fate" has not. People who believe in astrology will say "Your fate is in the stars", and that could mean either way.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join