It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are you a Master at Something you Hate

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 10 2021 @ 05:23 PM
link   
a reply to: JAGStorm

I wouldn’t say Hate…. But I definitely have become jaded by it.
I’m a drone pilot for a large mining company.

When I first started flying daily for work, I thought it was the greatest thing in the world to have your hobby become your full time job.

I’ve been flying daily at work for 12 years now.
To say been there, done that, is a bit of an understatement now lol.
Even the 3D modelling part of the job.
It’s just the same 8-10 things over and over again.

Jaded for sure.

posted on Oct, 10 2021 @ 05:31 PM
link   
I'm good at the one thing I hate doing more than anything. Directly communicating with others. In my role as a information security consultant I find myself constantly talking with clients, legal counsel, insurance providers, etc. People from just about every profession and walk of life, my wife pointed it out to me once, I'll adapt my communication style, cadence, and even tone to match the audience.

If I'm at a power plant in the south you'll hear me change personality completely in order to make sure I'm on the same page as everyone else. Same thing happens if I'm called on to address a board of directors or provide expert witness testimony.

Yet when it comes to communicating with others in a non-business setting, I do everything possible to avoid it. I will email or text like crazy just to avoid actually talking. Apparently I'm really good at it, just hate doing it when it can be avoided.

posted on Oct, 11 2021 @ 12:13 AM
link   
a reply to: Hypntick

Are you a Gemini?
Just curious

posted on Oct, 11 2021 @ 02:40 AM
link   
I have got a lot of experience at going down rabbit holes, hate what I am seeing. It is a grey murky world with lots of claims, counter claims, innuendo, rumors with a few facts around to help navigate the way. This place sucks, really ugly, bad.

posted on Oct, 11 2021 @ 06:39 AM
link   

I have worked really hard to thoroughly SUCK at doing things I hate to do! (J/K)

Painting? GAH! I hate painting, just literally "hate" painting!! I don't know what it is, but I wind up with more paint on everything I'm trying NOT to paint than on what I AM trying to paint! Paint on me, paint on the carpet, paint on the trim...paint on the dog. I can get paint on stuff in a completely different area than I'm painting!! It's a horror show beyond description! Me and painting just do NOT get along!

My wife, on the other hand, loves to paint and she does a really good job of it too. A match made in heaven if there ever was one!

Taping sheetrock is another one. Can't stand taping sheetrock! Unfortunately, I'm kind of good at this so I wind up doing a lot of it for my wife's ambitious projects. Installing sheetrock is fine, but taping it sucks!

posted on Oct, 11 2021 @ 12:21 PM
link   
a reply to: Flyingclaydisk

If you are good at taping, that is truly a rare skill. Most people think they can do it and they are wrong. Most of them find out they can’t afterwards. I’ve also hired “professionals” that weren’t that great either.
You’d probably be good at plaster work too.

posted on Oct, 13 2021 @ 08:46 AM
link   

No problem with plaster work, that's even easier than taping sheetrock. Aside from the sheer effort plaster takes, the finishing of it is pretty easy.

Not a lot of lathe and plaster work around anymore though. Too labor intensive. Interestingly enough, this is exactly why I hate taping sheetrock. Sheetrock took the large surface areas away from the finishing element of lathe & plaster, leaving you with a joint which you have to blend into the adjoining sheetrock. This is fine if you're dealing with whole pieces of sheetrock (with the tapered edges), but when you're dealing with one tapered edge and one cut edge, it becomes a lot more difficult. Taping sheetrock sucks! Especially with fiber tape. Paper tape is better, but many modern homes aren't rigid enough to use paper tape. Fortunately, out house is, but many aren't, and the joints will split.

posted on Oct, 13 2021 @ 08:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: Flyingclaydisk
Paper tape is better, but many modern homes aren't rigid enough to use paper tape. Fortunately, out house is...

Do you have pics of your ridged outhouse?

posted on Oct, 13 2021 @ 11:58 AM
link   

Aquarius actually, I have heard the gemini thing before though.

posted on Oct, 13 2021 @ 05:06 PM
link   
Natural gifts or ones that come too easily tend to be cheapened by those endowed with them. They fail to realize anything special about it. Gifts that come with long practice and sacrifice are more properly appreciated. It's a conundrum in that our natural abilities often go to waste in pursuit of dreams that are often not achievable. Natural gifts should be explored whether or not they appreciate it at the time. I was a natural pianist and could play complex pieces after minimal training. For some reason I thought it a "sissy" pursuit and allowed it to languish. That has been the biggest regret of my life. I never did turn out to be a "tough guy" so I may as well have kept on playing.

posted on Oct, 13 2021 @ 05:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: Asktheanimals
Natural gifts or ones that come too easily tend to be cheapened by those endowed with them. They fail to realize anything special about it. Gifts that come with long practice and sacrifice are more properly appreciated. It's a conundrum in that our natural abilities often go to waste in pursuit of dreams that are often not achievable. Natural gifts should be explored whether or not they appreciate it at the time. I was a natural pianist and could play complex pieces after minimal training. For some reason I thought it a "sissy" pursuit and allowed it to languish. That has been the biggest regret of my life. I never did turn out to be a "tough guy" so I may as well have kept on playing.

When it comes to the piano, that is indeed a shame!

The stories I could tell about people and pianos. So sad. I could only wish to have those skills!

I love the piano, and I am that "tough guy" (at least I think), but here's my piano playing ability...

Take (2) 10lb. hams and smash them repeatedly on the keyboard...that's my piano playing!

posted on Oct, 13 2021 @ 05:50 PM
link   
a reply to: Flyingclaydisk

I have worked really hard to thoroughly SUCK at doing things I hate to do!

Sounds like my old job, someone told me to not do so well or it would only lead to more work. Very true statement.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join