It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Smith & Wesson Moving Corporate Headquarters From Massachusetts to Tennessee

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 2 2021 @ 04:41 PM
link   
Good evening ATS denizens, lurkers and alphabet agency animals.

In the category of "unsurprising news," Smith & Wesson has decided to relocate their headquarters from Massachusetts to Tennessee. In addition to moving production from Mass, the company will also be closing facilities in Connecticut and Missouri. This will reduce the number of locations operated by S&W from four to three while allowing them to streamline manufacturing and distribution. The move is a decision made in response to potential legislation being floated in MA which would be very harmful to S&W's business model. One might say that S&W has had their hand forced by MA politicians who are increasingly attempting to pass legislation which will eventually pressure any and all firearm companies to vacate the state.

The move is not slated to begin until 2023, which gives the several hundred employees effected by the closures to seek new employment. It's unfortunate for employees who are unable to make the transition to TN, and it's a shame that the Springfield, MA location, which has been in operation since 1852 will no longer operate as it has for years. The move is understandable and necessary for S&W.

Mark Smith, President and Chief Executive Officer, said "This has been an extremely difficult and emotional decision for us, but after an exhaustive and thorough analysis, for the continued health and strength of our iconic company, we feel that we have been left with no other alternative."  He specifically cited legislation recently proposed in Massachusetts that, if enacted, would prohibit the company from manufacturing certain firearms in the state. "These bills would prevent Smith & Wesson from manufacturing firearms that are legal in almost every state in America and that are safely used by tens of millions of law-abiding citizens every day exercising their Constitutional 2nd Amendment rights, protecting themselves and their families, and enjoying the shooting sports. While we are hopeful that this arbitrary and damaging legislation will be defeated in this session, these products made up over 60% of our revenue last year, and the unfortunate likelihood that such restrictions would be raised again led to a review of the best path forward for Smith & Wesson."

The move is a boon for Maryville, TN and the Knoxville area as it will bring 750 new jobs, new construction and a significant new revenue stream to the area. The key reasons for Maryville, TN being chosen over other potential locations are:

Support for the 2nd Amendment

Business friendly environment

Quality of life for employees

Cost of living and affordability

Access to higher education institutions

Availability of qualified labor for its operations and headquarter functions

Favorable location for efficiency of distribution

President Smith goes on to state that:

Our loyal employees are the reason for our success and are always our number one priority. We are deeply saddened by the impact that this difficult decision will have on so many of our dedicated employees, but in order to preserve future jobs and for the viability of our business in the long term, we are left with no choice but to relocate these functions to a state that does not propose burdensome restrictions on our company. We are making this announcement now to ensure that each employee has the time to make the decision that is right for them and their families. We are firmly committed to working on an individual level with each and every one of those who will be affected. We will assist any affected employee who is willing and able to move with financial and logistical relocation assistance. However, we also fully realize that this is simply not feasible for some. Therefore, for any affected employee who cannot move with us, we will offer enhanced severance and job placement services. We understand that this announcement will be very difficult for our employees, and we will do everything we can to assist them during this transition."

I find it heartwarming that S&W places so much value upon and shows so much commitment towards its employees. In an era of multinational corporations endlessly swallowing up smaller companies, it is good to see a company which is an American standard with over a thousand employees that treats staff as family and not as disposable workers. It would be great if more companies and corporations showed the same compassion and respect for the individuals who keep the company healthy and in the black.

I am a proud supporter of S&W. Their products are high quality, made in America (including base materials where possible) and their customer service is top notch. From their classic pieces to newer models, the arms they produce can be depended on to defend one's life. They're also a blast at the range and many of their pieces are highly collectible and if properly cared for will only appreciate in value. When I squeeze the trigger I don't want there to be any doubt that the tool in my hand will function flawlessly. When I have a quality S&W piece in my hand I have no doubts.

I live in Vermont not far from the Massachusetts border. I'm a couple hours drive from Springfield, MA. Hunting is a way of life in VT and has been for generations. Bow and firearm hunting season is greatly anticipated each year and licenses are carefully controlled to protect and preserve the wildlife of VT. Taking animals out of season is taken very seriously and while most people respect the laws there are always a few knuckleheads who do as they please, usually repeat offenders. Actual gun crime in Vermont is very low and the vast majority of citizens are very responsible. It is a state where both Reps and Dems keep and bear arms, though 2nd amendment rights have been continually eroded in VT over the years. The cities of Burlington and Montpelier have made efforts to enact more signficant restrictions within city limits than the rest of the state.

I was going to include some stats about gun violence and gang violence, especially in the metropolitan areas of Massachusetts and Connecticut, however the S&W information (which is the reason for this post) is positive and I've decided I would like to keep my O.P. positive as well. If ATS members would like to get into firearm statistics and reasons why you are for or against the right of citizens to keep and bear arms, then by all means let's have a discussion. I don't mind sharing my views on what I think about "gun free zones," firearm registries and the unethical ways law abiding firearm owners and advocates have been treated in recent years.

I once had a lovely collection of firearms, but they were tragically lost in an unfortunate boating accident when the vessel capsized.

It's getting late here in Holland (6 hours ahead of the east coast in the USofA), and I have a busy day tomorrow with my lady and her family. If I don't respond tonight I'll be back tomorrow to catch up. Hope you all are having a great weekend.

Cheers. 🍻

Sources:

Smith and Wesson Moving Corporate Headquarters from Massachusets to Tennessee

Smith and Wesson to Relocate Headquarters to Tennessee

posted on Oct, 2 2021 @ 04:50 PM
link   
a reply to: CircumstancialEvidence

Yeah, the home of Pocahontas, our resident Indian.
Born and raised in Ma.
What a joke part of this state is.
Inside the rte128 beltway it’s blue as blue can be.
Driving out a manufacturing company that has been here forever……great business sense.
Way to look out for the people…..no?

IDIOTS in charge here….

posted on Oct, 2 2021 @ 05:29 PM
link   
As a shooter, we welcome S&W to the free state of Tennessee.

posted on Oct, 2 2021 @ 06:03 PM
link   
That is not too far from the childhood home of Sgt York of WW1 fame. Sharpshooters have been coming out of those hills since the Revolutionary war. S&W will be treated like Jack Daniels Sour Mash Whiskey. Both have been great to the Mountain people.

posted on Oct, 2 2021 @ 06:42 PM
link   
I like Smith and Wesson. I have 3 of them. All 3 stainless revolvers. 22, 357, and 500 ( 50 cal. Mag)
Heres the 500

Heres what it looks like when you fire it at night

You wear a padded glove, and hang on real tight.

posted on Oct, 2 2021 @ 08:13 PM
link   
a reply to: Justoneman

Keep in mind that Jack Daniels is made in a dry county. So I hope S&W is treated better than that.

I’m torn about their move to Tennessee. I don’t want real estate to get out of hand because I am considering that area for final retirement. And I’d really hate if they brought that Massachusetts mentality with them rather than adapting to the place that doesn’t want to end them. Taxing the tax that taxes the tax is not the Tennessee way.

Now if they want to give out free samples if you take the tour...sign me up.

posted on Oct, 3 2021 @ 01:46 AM
link   
Lovely revolver mate.

Give em a surprise if they visit again

a reply to: visitedbythem

posted on Oct, 3 2021 @ 07:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: Justoneman
That is not too far from the childhood home of Sgt York of WW1 fame. Sharpshooters have been coming out of those hills since the Revolutionary war. S&W will be treated like Jack Daniels Sour Mash Whiskey. Both have been great to the Mountain people.

Never f×ck with Tennessee!

posted on Oct, 4 2021 @ 05:04 AM
link   
Apologies for not making it back to the thread sooner. Had a long, fun day with my fiancé, her children and her family. It's Carnival week here and we throw down.

a reply to: PiratesCut

My condolences for what has been done to MA by idiots. Similar things have occurred in Vermont, though not to the same extent. It's really a shame that MA politicians would drive out a company which has been successfully operating for over almost 170 years.

posted on Oct, 4 2021 @ 05:32 AM
link   
a reply to: PiratesCut

Oh yeah Fauxcahontas! Totally missed that at first. That lady is full crazy and a real scumbag to boot. Anyone with sanpaku eyes is a no go for me, and that lady has both Yin Sanpaku and Yang Sanpaku. I remember watching a couple interviews with her and her husband and I remember thinking damn that guy is terrified. I couldn't shake the feeling that he is abused. I call her Sanpaku Warren. Anyone voting for her is nuts.

posted on Oct, 4 2021 @ 05:33 AM
link   
a reply to: Nickn3

Cheers, you're in a great place and this is a huge win for TN. Live long and prosper, Tennessee.

posted on Oct, 4 2021 @ 05:37 AM
link   
a reply to: Justoneman

True, New England in general was renowned for excellent marksmen and rugged individuals. VT had the Green Mountain Boys who were feared by their enemies and respected by their compatriots. I grew up in the Caribbean but was born in VT, so I like to think of myself as having some of that Green Mt. Boy blood flowing through my veins. I'm certainly proficient with firearms and know a thing or two about survival in the great outdoors. Tennessee folk are proficient in these things as well. S&W will make a great fit in TN.

Cheers.

posted on Oct, 4 2021 @ 05:42 AM
link   
a reply to: visitedbythem

Oh my word. You've made excellent choices. Those are as good as it gets for revolves, in my humble opinion. The 500 looks like a literal cannon... because it is.

Nice photos, thanks for sharing! I would hate to be on the receiving end of a piece like that, though it wouldn't hurt long... I have a couple S&W revolvers in 22 and 357 as well. The 22 is a blued antique and has held up very well and the 357 is matt black. I picked up a stainless .50 cal deagle when I was feeling more wealthy than I actually am, though the thing is more expensive to shoot than it is to own as it has held its value well. lol

Cheers and happy shooting.

posted on Oct, 4 2021 @ 05:50 AM
link   
a reply to: Ahabstar

lol well played.

You make good points. Most government policy (including economic) policy in MA is a disaster and there are a lot of braindead political zealots living there. From my experiences with S&W they are far more practical and conservative leaning than the status quo of MA.

I think we will unfortunately continue to see property values and costs increase in locations which haven't legislated themselves into a hole as people flee areas which are sinking for higher ground. As coastal states and cities continue to deteriorate the exodus to more safe, more stable areas will continue. It has been going on in VT for some time and a fair amount of people are determined to import their failed policies and ideologies with them.

Hopefully that trend doesn't continue.

Let me know if they hand out some samples, would love to pick up another S&W or three.

Cheers.

posted on Oct, 4 2021 @ 06:00 AM
link   
Good job Smith and Wesson.

Tennessee is a good home for you.

posted on Oct, 4 2021 @ 09:12 AM
link   
Its a good PR move but probably is mostly due to financial reasons more so than 2A reasons. If Smith and Wesson were legitimately concerned about the Second Amendment they would stop all contracts with police departments for arms as they are the enforces of the various anti-gun laws already on the books everywhere.

posted on Oct, 4 2021 @ 10:42 AM
link   
I'mma just leave this here and step away...

82nd All Way

This one is pretty decent too...

82nd All The Way - Cover

top topics

join