It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ringplan - possibly the future of aviation

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 8 2021 @ 11:24 PM
link   
a reply to: penroc3

Only three NASA birds I can think of were the F-5 with the heavily modified fuselage, the F-15 with the quiet spike, and the upcoming X-59. None of those have an ovoid wing. Which are you thinking of?

posted on Sep, 9 2021 @ 04:33 AM
link   

posted on Sep, 9 2021 @ 09:01 AM
link   
Thinking more about this, if you look at an aerifoil shape with the flat bottom and curved top, to create lift, as the wing on these aircraft turns upwards it’s losing more and more lift, so it would appear to be much less efficient than even a bi-plane.

At least 100% of the biplane wings create lift (and as pointed out more drag) this circular design will create more drag and less lift?
edit on 9 9 2021 by Forensick because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 9 2021 @ 10:57 AM
link   
a reply to: Forensick

if you were to look at the outline of a modern 777 you can tell its not just the wings providing lift.

they look like flying wings with the cabin attached later

also you have to consider what type of powerplant and by who is under the wings.

with enough thrust you can make a brick fly

posted on Sep, 9 2021 @ 01:03 PM
link   
a reply to: penroc3

ETA

wings are shaped different for different things, look at birdsl

birds of pray have powerful slick thin long wings that come to a feather at the tips and arc up like we see on modern wings of aircraft, there is a sweet spot for sure but that's what things like adaptive wings and control surfaces are for(if you want to get fancy and have deep pockets)

My Dad flew on a new company jet that CAN break the sound barrier and it looks like a mean real bird of pray from the front.

then you have things like humming birds, I would equate them to something like a star fighter wing, super specialized for speed and as much control as possible but vey fragile.

then you have things like geese with long powerful and big bodies that were designed by nature for long distance flying at its most efficient. Big birds are usually slow but can travel long long distances.

i would call the age of what we are entering the fish phase.(convair joke insert)

as we go faster and faster are aircraft start looking more and more like fish like a strong Yellowfin Tuna, point slick, STRONG, very very fast and is a hunter.

or other small fast fish, we are losing are wings and going to fins and thruster(ala a squid)

very interesting how technology always follows nature. I mean you would be crazy not to, nature has had billions of years to get the kinks out.

edit on 9-9-2021 by penroc3 because: joke

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join