It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Lawyers mysteriously oppose Remington's discovery request RE: Sandy Hook lawsuit

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 3 2021 @ 01:23 PM
link   
It is well known that frivolous lawsuits against gun makers have been on the rise following this particular event. Despite the legal protections that exist for gunmakers and other manufacturers engaged in lawful commerce, families have been trying to pursue malicious lawsuits against the gunmaker. As part of those lawsuits, Remington has exercised its right to discovery by requesting records, among other things, of those killed. This could be for any number of reasons, which of course their defense team is not required to explain in its request.

The odd part is...they are opposing it! They expect to sue Remington for engaging in lawful commerce, and then deny vital records/other motions of discovery that could be instrumental in defending the company from vultures.

www.pennlive.com... l

Here is just one article where MSM/plaintiffs are full-bore foaming at the mouth over their latest move.

What? You expect to sue someone and them not come at you full force? How stupid.

The families suing Remington Arms over its marketing of the rifle used in the Sandy Hook School massacre want a court to order the gunmaker to keep confidential school records it has subpoenaed about five children and four educators who died in the 2012 attack in Newtown.

A lawyer for the families asked for the protective order in a motion dated Thursday, part of the ongoing argument between the families and the gunmaker over the relevance and confidentiality of records the parties are trying to collect as they prepare cases for the trial now scheduled in the coming weeks.

Why so much secrecy? The fact they are opposing this very typical process tells me there are in fact un-turned tables. So the question is, why?

There is a conspiracy afoot.

To keep in line with ATS rules, please limit replies only to the political conspiracies involved in the lawsuit, targeting of particular individuals or their filed legal motions/defenses and current law.

While arguing for the confidentiality of child and educator school records, the families asked the court to consider allowing disclosure of some business records Remington had claimed were proprietary. The families argued that “the public has a right to know what the plaintiffs learn about Remington’s business.”

Deceased individuals do not enjoy the right to confidentiality. Especially when the plaintiff has a remedy...drop the lawsuit. In its current form, they are refusing to drop the frivolous lawsuit while still demanding to have their cake and to eat it too.

Why all the secrecy?

No crisis actor/false flag nonsense. If you want to have a serious discussion on the merits and circumstances of this publicly filed case, great. Otherwise, you will only end up getting this thread shut down
edit on 9/3/2021 by JBurns because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 3 2021 @ 01:40 PM
link   
a reply to: JBurns

The families suing Remington Arms over its marketing of the rifle used in the Sandy Hook School massacre want a court to order the gunmaker to keep confidential school records it has subpoenaed about five children and four educators who died in the 2012 attack in Newtown.

Why all the secrecy?

Why should the dead children's school records and the employment records of the dead educators have any bearing on how they were murdered and whatever culpability Remington might have in their deaths? I can see why the school and the families would want to prevent revictimizing the families of dead by exposing poor grades or previous displinary actions.

Is Remington asking for these records because they're going to try and say these people deserved to die, because...school records?

edit on 3-9-2021 by Sookiechacha because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 3 2021 @ 02:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sookiechacha

Why all the secrecy?

Why should the dead children's school records and the employment records of the dead educators have any bearing on how they were murdered and whatever culpability Remington might have in their deaths? I can see why the school and the families would want to prevent revictimizing the families of dead by exposing poor grades or previous displinary actions.

Is Remington asking for these records because they're going to try and say these people deserved to die, because...school records?

If it turns out the bullets came from a AK47,
you can not sue Remington .

posted on Sep, 3 2021 @ 02:31 PM
link   
I don't understand the line of thinking to sue the gun makers.
If someone injures me with a car, I'm going after them, not chevy? The only way it could be chevy's fault, is if there was a recall on the car, for something that involved why it hit me?

But I thought in any lawsuit, both sides had a right to any and all information that may help their case?

I just doubt that Remington is going to say, "oh look, johnny got a D. He deserved it. I can't see a judge allowing that either. Any good lawyer would know better.

There is more going on here than that, I would guess.
edit on 3-9-2021 by chiefsmom because: spelling

posted on Sep, 3 2021 @ 02:33 PM
link   
I think both sides should have as much information, data, statistics, evidence, proof, or whatever they can get their hands on to lobby their side. I feel each representative has a duty to their clients, and to the letter of the law(s). The verdict should come down to their presentations of said exhibits.

Another way to put it : If your argument only succeeds due to the withholding of information or just plain ignoring it, it's not a very sound argument. If the parents and families want privacy for their diseased, why are they participating in a public trial? What and or who are the parents hoping will "be served justice" after nearly a decade?

Bottom line is I don't really care about who "wins or loses." It's most likely the American People that will be affected, negatively. I do think each side should have all resources available to defend their respective position.

posted on Sep, 3 2021 @ 02:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: buddha

Why all the secrecy?

I fail to see how the victims' schools records could reveal that data. That seems like something that the police would know.

posted on Sep, 3 2021 @ 03:03 PM
link   

No crisis actor/false flag nonsense

Gonna be a short thread when you declare the reality like that.
..on a conspiracy website.

If conspiracy is blocked, then the whole entire topic needs blocked for consistency.
You are essentially blocking any questions about a situation full of weird inconsistencies and weird video evidence.
I'd love to sit in on this court case.
I know exactly what they are doing.

edit on 9 by Mandroid7 because: Added...corr sp

posted on Sep, 3 2021 @ 03:03 PM
link   
whatever it reveals it's something, someone doesn't want revealed.

Schoolrecords??? My gues, irregularities on the who's who would pop up.

posted on Sep, 3 2021 @ 03:16 PM
link   
a reply to: Sookiechacha

They are trying to blame Remington in particular for some sort of particular "views" or exposure to "advertising."

Who knows?

Although what a killer uses is immaterial to most sensible folks, they seem to think it matters here. And apparently some liberal judge somewhere agreed with them.

If the parents can sue Remington for sensitive proprietary information why can't they see the records?

posted on Sep, 3 2021 @ 03:18 PM
link   

Who knows? Are you saying Remington doesn't have the right to defend itself using any available avenue?

They have a responsibility to shareholders and the truth.

Nobody is claiming they deserved to die. Quite the opposite. Merely that Remington isn't responsible for what the killer did.

Just interesting why the parents would take such an issue of them looking over such mundane records. What is there to hide? Why is so much hidden about them and this incident?

We know what the Parkland kids ate for breakfast and what they did on social media, but basic records from S.H. can not be obtained via lawful due process? Why? Why, why and more why. It makes no sense.

Something doesn't sit right.

posted on Sep, 3 2021 @ 03:47 PM
link   
I'm not calling this guy a crisis actor, but I'd probably snag him up for court as well.

cnn live video

posted on Sep, 3 2021 @ 03:48 PM
link   
Gee…why do you think they oppose. Remington wants the dead children’s report cards, attendance records, behavioral records and a whole lot of stuff that shows they intend to put the victims on trial. I don’t blame Remington as it’s standard legal tactics, they intend to dispute any awarded damages against future earnings of those killed but that’s extreme hard ball.

While I can’t get behind the lawsuit, I can understand why the parents are angry and want to go after someone to make them feel better but they are playing hardball so Remington is swinging back. Almost a lose lose situation for Remington but it’s do or die.

It has nothing to do with the supposed conspiracy that it was a false flag and I hope that is not the conversation that’s developing here. It’s just another legal tactic in a case that Remington has a good chance of losing. I thought they had reached a settlement in the case but must have been only some of the litigants involved

posted on Sep, 3 2021 @ 03:53 PM
link   

Who knows? Are you saying Remington doesn't have the right to defend itself using any available avenue?

I just can't see how their defense could come from the school records of kindergarteners and first graders and the employment records for dead teachers. What's their angle there?

Nobody is claiming they deserved to die. Quite the opposite. Merely that Remington isn't responsible for what the killer did.

I get that's Remington's defense. But, unless there's something in those records of how the victims somehow supplied the weapons, or encouraged the attack, I don't see how these records can shed any light on how Remington is or isn't responsible for the killers acquisition of weapons, motives, reasons, justification, etc..

But that's just me. And I'm not a lawyer, nor do I have a dog in this fight.

We know what the Parkland kids ate for breakfast and what they did on social media, but basic records from S.H. can not be obtained via lawful due process?

They're not asking the court not to provide the records.

They're just asking not to make those records public. That seems like a fair request to me.

posted on Sep, 3 2021 @ 03:54 PM
link   
They’re looking for targeted attacks from the individuals against the shooter. They’re looking for any reason the shooter would single out these individuals rather than it being random. Because if it’s not random, and the shooter singled them out for let’s say, bullying, harassment, any kind of victimization, the narrative that Remington is responsible falls apart.

posted on Sep, 3 2021 @ 03:57 PM
link   
a reply to: Superecho2021

they intend to put the victims on trial

Quite the statement.

The whole thing is a distraction.
A rehashed controversial topic for the news cycle.
A sketchy event known to be controversial to drown out the other sketchy stuff going on.

posted on Sep, 3 2021 @ 03:58 PM
link   

originally posted

I'm not calling this guy a crisis actor, but I'd probably snag him up for court as well.

cnn live video

Absolutely not a crisis actor. Took him way to long to get into character.
edit on 9 3 2021 by caterpillage because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 3 2021 @ 04:01 PM
link   
a reply to: caterpillage

Exactly, hopefully they figure it all out.
This stuff is serious and could happen in anytown.

posted on Sep, 3 2021 @ 04:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: buddha

Why all the secrecy?

I fail to see how the victims' schools records could reveal that data. That seems like something that the police would know.

Maybe they know school records can't be produced and thus proves something else...

Kind of like how Obama was afraid to have his school records released and thus sealed.... real odd behavior.

posted on Sep, 3 2021 @ 04:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: Superecho2021
Gee…why do you think they oppose. Remington wants the dead children’s report cards, attendance records, behavioral records and a whole lot of stuff that shows they intend to put the victims on trial. I don’t blame Remington as it’s standard legal tactics, they intend to dispute any awarded damages against future earnings of those killed but that’s extreme hard ball.

While I can’t get behind the lawsuit, I can understand why the parents are angry and want to go after someone to make them feel better but they are playing hardball so Remington is swinging back. Almost a lose lose situation for Remington but it’s do or die.

It has nothing to do with the supposed conspiracy that it was a false flag and I hope that is not the conversation that’s developing here. It’s just another legal tactic in a case that Remington has a good chance of losing. I thought they had reached a settlement in the case but must have been only some of the litigants involved

This IS the conspiracy! I couldn't quite put my finger on it. That is exactly what I am getting at.

Remington is engaged in standard legal defense techniques, and the parents seem to be trying to turn this into some sort of "conspiracy theory" defense to discredit their lawful strategy.

posted on Sep, 3 2021 @ 04:15 PM
link   

Sookie, they are just trying to demonstrate lifetime earnings potential. So in the event that a jury somehow finds them liable for the deaths, the damages will be limited to a reasonable/practical number and not some astronomical figure the parents came up with.

As far as keeping them private, yes I would agree there. No harm in that. However, the families themselves state that proprietary information obtained regarding Remington as a result of the lawsuit should be made public. This information should also remain private, under the court's purview.

The last thing they would do (or any of us want to do) is put those kids on trial. They are just trying to show on paper monetary issues, Adam Lanza is the one responsible and always will be. No matter what their grades or attendance were, of course they didn't deserve what happened to them. No one at all is saying that

Its a tragic event. I truly mean that. But blaming Remington is no different than blaming Chevy or Budweiser for various deaths related to their particular products. It is paramount to hold individuals responsible for their own actions, and not try to go after the entire brand who had no control over what a person did with it or whether or not XYZ state has passed laws to try and prohibit that individual from possessing firearms

Can you imagine if every time a gangbanger shot some innocent third party...they sued the maker of the gun? That could expand to the architect of the city street/building they died in. Maybe the ambulance/doctor who didn't save their life?

top topics

<<   2 >>

join