It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

James Webb Space Telescope will glorify bigotry and anti-LGBT+ sentiment

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 19 2021 @ 01:16 PM
link   
a reply to: VierEyes

named after an astronomer, warts and all.

Not an Astronomer, a Government official.
edit on 19-8-2021 by pthena because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 19 2021 @ 01:43 PM
link   
a reply to: gortex

Mehhh...it's just a name. Don't care what they call it as long as it does what it was build for.

Personally I'm holding my breath for the Vera C. Rubin Observatory's Simonyi Survey Telescope to go operational.

Let me know when they change that name...

edit on 19-8-2021 by keukendeur because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 19 2021 @ 01:50 PM
link   

The stupid is strong in NASA obviously!

I think it calls for a Woke video ;-)

Cheers - Dave

posted on Aug, 19 2021 @ 02:07 PM
link   

I suggest it should be named the Tubman Woke Astronomical Telescope = T.W.A.T.

I was going to think up something more appropriate or funnier but I'm getting sick of thinking about all this nonsense.
It seems there's no end to this stupidity.

What the # is wrong with people, have they really nothing better or more important to concern themselves with?

posted on Aug, 19 2021 @ 02:18 PM
link   
a reply to: Freeborn

Has no one thought about the potential consequences of offending LGBTQ aliens?

I mean, with their apparent and well documented history of "bottom" probing and all....

posted on Aug, 19 2021 @ 02:24 PM
link   
a reply to: Oldcarpy2

Anal probe/data access port, to-mat-oe, to-mah-toe.

posted on Aug, 19 2021 @ 02:26 PM
link   

I was trying to think of some wording to match the initials F.U.C.K.W.I.T.T.A.G.E. but have so far drawn a blank.

Anyone? Bit of a challenge.

posted on Aug, 19 2021 @ 02:27 PM
link   

Are you insulting those astronomers? You think them being homosexual felt differently about bigotry earlier in their life, or the same as they do now? Curious what you think about that since the premise of your OP is that the world was a different place, homosexuals included. I didn't know gays weren't offended in the early 90's, please speak on it.

By the way Harriet Tubman was supposed to be on the $20 bill during Trump's presidency but that never happened.

posted on Aug, 19 2021 @ 02:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: Freeborn
What the # is wrong with people, have they really nothing better or more important to concern themselves with?

Doesn't that go the same way for the people concerning themselves with why they are considering changing now?

Geez, you Brits even have an Alan Turing law condemning exactly this kind of behavior Webb is accused of.

This has nothing to do with "Wokeism"...it's about naming an important scientific facility after something that honors it.

posted on Aug, 19 2021 @ 02:37 PM
link   
a reply to: game over man

Are you insulting those astronomers? You think them being homosexual felt differently about bigotry earlier in their life, or the same as they do now?

No , just saying they're wrong.
Who said they were homosexual ?

posted on Aug, 19 2021 @ 03:02 PM
link   
a reply to: keukendeur

The thing is its just a constant drip feed of this faux outrage over past events.
All part of the same cancel culture, hypersensitive, woke bollocks.

People are just sick to death of it.

And its become an industry all of itself.

NASA's Chief Historian(?) and another historian are going to look into it.
How much will that cost?
How much will they get paid?
No doubt there'll be a few jollies.

People just shake their head at this stuff now, its lost whatever impact, meaning and relevance it may have had.

posted on Aug, 19 2021 @ 03:06 PM
link   
a reply to: Oldcarpy2

Err....I think that may take quite a bit of working out.

posted on Aug, 19 2021 @ 03:43 PM
link   

Too much for my tiny little mind, for sure.

posted on Aug, 19 2021 @ 04:16 PM
link   

I completely agree with the concept that cancel culture, wokeness etc.. is nonsense.

But that's just it, I understood wokeness to be meaning awareness of one’s own lack of understanding towards the unfolding of recent events and provide a foundation for how they can be more knowledgeable for the future.

And this issue with the James Webb telescope is not the same.

It's about an appropriate name for an important scientific facility.

I absolutely don't agree with all these sensitive pc fairies but you can't just say :"well this was commonly accepted in the 50's so we should ignore it."

That's kind of like saying the Roman-Catholics weren't wrong in making Galileo Galilei recant his findings and putting him on life long house arrest because it was commonly accepted everything revolved around the Earth.

If you know the story of Alan Turing you should agree with his royal pardon.

wrong is wrong and we shouldn't allow ourselves to just classify everything under the name of "cancel culture", "politically correct", "wokeness" or whatever just because we are sick and tired of hearing about it and giving ourselves a reason to ignore it.

posted on Aug, 19 2021 @ 04:27 PM
link   

Geez, you Brits even have an Alan Turing law condemning exactly this kind of behavior Webb is accused of.

I propose that we name it the Thomas Jefferson Telescope. Jefferson attempted, but failed, to reduce the penalty for sodomy in the State of Virginia from death to a lesser penalty.

Whosoever shall be guilty of Rape, Polygamy, or Sodomy with man or woman shall be punished, if a man, by castration, if a woman, by cutting thro' the cartilage of her nose a hole of one half inch diameter at the least.
- Thomas Jefferson, A Bill for Proportioning Crimes and Punishments 1778, Papers 2:492--504

posted on Aug, 19 2021 @ 04:37 PM
link   

Harriet Tubman's Grandson called me a cracker and beat me up in school. I vote no. We should call it Space Telescope 5

posted on Aug, 19 2021 @ 04:43 PM
link   
a reply to: chris_stibrany
I can agree with Space Telescope 5

Completely unrelated but I got every Guus Flater comic and always thought the "Gaston" at the bottom was the name of the editor. Just looked up Wiki and learned something new....love your avatar!!

posted on Aug, 19 2021 @ 04:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: Oldcarpy2
F.U.C.K.W.I.T.T.A.G.E.

reply to: Freeborn

You guys are letting the UK down

Furthest
Universal
Cosmical
Kinetic
Weightless
Illuminatory
Telescopic
Technology
Achieving
Galatical
Exploration

Yeah well its the best I got for nearly 11pm
edit on 000000p3104America/Chicago819202148 by UpThenDown because: typo

posted on Aug, 19 2021 @ 04:53 PM
link   

Dank u wel meneer . I was in Limburg NL for most of my early days . But I could never read Guust/Gaston til I taught myself French 13 or so years ago. Then after all that work they started publishing them in English a few years ago. lol. Well I have all the French ones now so whatever.
I only learnt German in school in NL for whatever reason...

posted on Aug, 19 2021 @ 04:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: gortex
a reply to: game over man

Are you insulting those astronomers? You think them being homosexual felt differently about bigotry earlier in their life, or the same as they do now?

No , just saying they're wrong.
Who said they were homosexual ?

Would that change your opinion if they were homosexual and speaking out? Or are straight people not allowed to stand up for homosexuals?

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join